FPS bump by disabling GameDVR in Windows 10 via registry

Mustang

This article may help out a good number of you who might be experiencing sub par performance with VR or even 2D setups

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-version-1903-gaming/?fbclid=IwAR0C2R_1_PVdg-I3pOPfwIWYC88V8WrVUuK1bQTyhtpNP6bw3xHS9WOXb6U

"To understand it better, when you run a game in exclusive fullscreen mode, the image goes from the game directly to your screen. After the update, the game is first rendered, then goes through Windows Desktop, and then to the screen.

This leads to input lag and performance issues in many games."

I have created the required .reg file for those who want to try this out, it has been tried and tested by many people and everyone I have spoke to have seen a rise in performance, especially those with VR.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1baftisLScNUoN01gSOY7Y98OtIq9IVoK

simply download this file and double click it and allow it to modify registry then reboot, it will add the entries as seen in the screenshot attached below.

registry.thumb.jpg.f46f03b1443fc7a5adb07bb1d78c4752.jpg

Edited by Mustang
  • Thanks 1

Is it a performance benefit, if Game Mode already disabled in System Controls?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

Thanks, I tought that my Windows 10 LTSC didnt had that Game Mode, but checked the registry keys and found that it was indeed enabled ... so, I'm giving your tip a try ... will report back if the results were notorious or not.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

not had a chance to try DCS yet but this has had a noticeable effect in the "the outer worlds".

so thanks for the heads up :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

... will report back if the results were notorious or not.

OK, just had a chance to test and can report that, on 1080p DCS I'm seeing an around a 50% increase on FPS on average, without altering a single graphics setting on my DCS ... so, a really worthwhile tuning.

I will soon test on VR and complete the report :D

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks, I tought that my Windows 10 LTSC didnt had that Game Mode, but checked the registry keys and found that it was indeed enabled ... so, I'm giving your tip a try ... will report back if the results were notorious or not.

How do you check in the registry keys if the game mode is active?

Thanks

Spanish Ala12rv Pilot 

Nevada TTR // Persian Gulf // Syria // South Atlantic

T.35C Tamiz // C-101 Mirlo // F-5E Tiger // FA-18C Hornet // Mirage F1 // EF2K!!! // F-14B Tomcat // F-16C Viper

MSI.Z690 // i9-12900F 5.1GHz // RTX3090 24GB // DDR5 5600Mhz 64GB

QuestPro // Hotas.Warthog // MFG.Crosswind // WW.Panels // TK.ICP // MFD.Cougar // Jetseat

Hi Mustang! Is there a way to cancel / reset this registry mod ? (Simply for testing purpose or if any trouble)

Just make a backup of the registry file, before you apply this one

Off topic question : about 3 - 4 years ago, everytime when I started the simulator, I pressed Alt + Enter, for real full screen

Is that still necessary ?

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

The WIN10 update is the 1903 or the new 1909 ?

The Windows Report says 1903.

Would this have to be redone after all future Windows updates?

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Just make a backup of the registry file, before you apply this one ...

Thanks Lenux. I just made a screenshot of "GameConfigStore" part of registry, showing actual values to put them back to default when I want.

Mod is simply right click on the line / modify value by 0, 1 or 2.

Noticed that on my registry there is a line missing, comparing to Mustang's screenshot (GameDVR-FSEBehavior)

I'm not seeing a performance difference in VR. Running HP reverb.

Full screen more is disabled in DCS video settings.

EDIT: If I enable Full Screen in DCS video settings and then press ALT+Enter to make my mirrored VR display full screen, I do see a few FPS increase. Nothing crazy, but every frame helps:)

Nice find.

Edited by jrasia

I9 9900k - z390- 2080 super - 32gb ddr5 - Hp Reverb

Odyssey plus here and no noticeable change in fps but it seems to improve fps in dcs 2D screen mode and other games.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I'm getting a 4 to 10 FPS increase in DCS.

Hard Spring A10 Instant Mission 2D
NonFullScreen 91-78 
Fullscreen 91-83

After Mod and Reboot
NonFullScreen 96-87
Fullscreen 96-89

I didn't have the GameDVR_FSEBehaviour line in my registry.

I hope others have better results!

~Bailey

I compared performances in VR (VR test : 30s flight strait forward in "TF51D Free Flight Tibilissi")

Exact same Fps (62 stable in both cases)

The GameDVR-Enabled set to 0 didn't kept the value after rebooting until I unchecked it in Game bar windows setting also.

The missing line (FSEBehavior) I didn't add it, only modifying the lines I have in common.

After test I re-opened Regedit to be sure the values were still Mustang's ones. I guess in VR the Mod makes no differences (also seeing other's VR results) probably because VR manages its own fullscreen and Vsync ? ...

To those with VR when applying this registry edit

Make sure to enabled "Full Screen" in your DCS video settings.

Press ALT+Enter to make your mirrored VR display take up the full width of your monitor and not just a windowed display.

I'm now seeing about a 3 - 5 FPS increase. I guess because the windows desktop no longer has to be rendered, it frees up some resources.

Nice little tweak

Question.

Is there a way to always make the mirrored desktop display full screen, instead of having to press ALT+Enter each time in VR?

I9 9900k - z390- 2080 super - 32gb ddr5 - Hp Reverb