Trim Centering

MVS-Viper

If you're referring to wing up and down trim there isn't other than retrimming yourself. I dont think such a feature exists on the viper so I highly doubt they would model it.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

If you're referring to wing up and down trim there isn't other than retrimming yourself. I dont think such a feature exists on the viper so I highly doubt they would model it.

Thanks for the reply, and you are correct.

There is not a button for this in the real jet. However, in the real jet is is easy to re-set the trim by moving the trim wheels on the left console back to center.

Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury with a flight sim, so a single key press centering option would be a nice compromise.

• Like 1

Image36.jpg

Well there is the trim hat of course. You could map the left hand trim wheels to an axis/buttons? Are the left hand console trim wheels even able to be mapped?

Edited by Darcwaynard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Well there is the trim hat of course. You could map the left hand trim wheels to an axis/buttons? Are the left hand console trim wheels even able to be mapped?

Not sure that is possible. But that would be cool, although I would need a new controller. The one I am using only has two mappable rotaries. Using one for Antenna Elevation, and the other for Radar Range.

Image36.jpg

No detent in the trim dials on our Vipers.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I thought the 16 had an auto trim anyway so it would automatically trim itself out?

Alas Nope. It trims to 1G in pitch but in roll it still needs trimming.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Novexous is absolutely correct...Why you are you trimming in the F16, the FLCC does it for you, like Airbus. Very rare do you need to trim, like approach to landing to maintain 13 AOA. Also, use your trim hat switch to re-trim if needed and look at the manual trim panel to put the trim where it belongs, in the middle.

• 3 years later...

I found myself thingking, back in the days learning dcs, many times finding myself cursing planes which didnt have possibility to reset cotrol surfaces / "reset trim". Could that be added in future maby, like mandatory setting (or in game mode etc), that there would be general key to reset ctrl surfaces to point zero / user made chages to ctrl surface positions. Maby by that way one could add something like that in code..? REALLY dont know, but could it be possible. It still woudl help A LOT the beginners, though it could be also a bad habit to get used to. Hmm.. 🙂

Not wanna highjack the thread here, but someone said the trimming speed is too high in DCS. The amount the trim kicks in when you push the button on the Hotas. It might also be a good idea to look into the speed the trim is set in the real F16. If it is way slower than in DCS then you could easily reset the trim yourself. But currently I fail to release the hotas button quickly enough for a neutral trim.

• Like 1

Roll trim reset for Joystick default.lua: 

{	down = control_commands.RollTrim, 	cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, value_down =  0.0, name = _('ROLL TRIM RESET'), category = {_('YAGA MOD'), _('Throttle Grip'), _('HOTAS')}}, --MODDED

Unrelated, but here's another useful 'reset' for anyone that doesn't have a linear wheel for the radar: 

{	down = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_ANT_ELEV_AXIS, 		cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS, 	value_down =  0.001, 		name = _('ANT ELEV Level'), category = {_('YAGA MOD'), _('Throttle Grip'), _('HOTAS')}}, --MODDED

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 2

Navigate to: 
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Input\F-16C\joystick

With Notepad++ or similar, open:
default.lua

Once open, paste each line of code from my post above into the lua file. It should be evident where it goes because it should look similar to the control entries that are already there. Like this (line 1011):
Make sure you place it above the }} seen here in 1023. We are creating a keycommand, not an axiscommand. 
 image.png

Then, you just bind it in game to a joystick button like normal. If we look at the lua entries we've just created, we can see that these bindings will be called ROLL TRIM RESET and ANT ELEV Level in the F-16C bindings menu and will appear in the bindings subgroups for Throttle Grip, HOTAS, and YAGA MOD. 

Unless you enable this lua via OVGME or another mods manager, this file will be overwritten every time you update or repair DCS and will revert. 

Does this help? 

Edited by Yaga
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, darkman222 said:

Not wanna highjack the thread here, but someone said the trimming speed is too high in DCS. The amount the trim kicks in when you push the button on the Hotas. It might also be a good idea to look into the speed the trim is set in the real F16. If it is way slower than in DCS then you could easily reset the trim yourself. But currently I fail to release the hotas button quickly enough for a neutral trim.

You can always trim with mouse, using trim wheels on the back left panel.

• Like 1

You can always trim with mouse, using trim wheels on the back left panel.
Or setup a "leftover" slider.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Navigate to: 
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Input\F-16C\joystick

With Notepad++ or similar, open:
default.lua

Once open, paste each line of code from my post above into the lua file. It should be evident where it goes because it should look similar to the control entries that are already there. Like this (line 1011):
Make sure you place it above the }} seen here in 1023. We are creating a keycommand, not an axiscommand. 
 image.thumb.png.abd8f8f3808887dd8ff386650c6ebe0a.png

Unless you enable this lua via OVGME or another mods manager, this file will be overwritten every time you update or repair DCS and will revert. 

Does this help? 

Thanks for the code.
I use Quaggles injector and Munkwolf's keybind project, so there's only one file to overwrite after every update.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Does this work for other modules, too? I mean, if properly adapted to the correct lua-script. Fortunately the Viper has axis available for trim and I have enough free axis on my HOTAS to bind them. So in the Viper I don't have the reset problem, as my sliders/rotaries have a center detent. But every other module I have (F/A-18, A-10 and AV-8B) there are only binary commands for trimming to assign to buttons. This makes it tedious to proper reset any trim back to neutral.

Edited by c0sm0cat

Does this work for other modules, too? I mean, if properly adapted to the correct lua-script. Fortunately the Viper has axis available for trim and I have enough free axis on my HOTAS to bind them. So in the Viper I don't have the reset problem, as my sliders/rotaries have a center detent. But every other module I have (F/A-18, A-10 and AV-8B) there are only binary commands for trimming to assign to buttons. This makes it tedious to proper reset any trim back to neutral.
Should work in all modules put in the correct place. Just follow the procedure and you'll find out if it's doable.

Am 25.8.2023 um 10:36 schrieb MAXsenna:

Or setup a "leftover" slider. emoji6.png

Yes, I bound the three trim axis to an Arduino / potis. Works really nice however it overrides the HOTAS trim rendering it useless. Perhaps using encoders is better as they only count in-/decrements and not using absolute positions? Any idea on this?

Am 25.8.2023 um 00:03 schrieb Yaga:

Roll trim reset for Joystick default.lua:

Not exactly on topic, but do you know if there's a possibility to edit a "just one press not three for ejection" line into the .lua?

11 minutes ago, void68 said:

Yes, I bound the three trim axis to an Arduino / potis. Works really nice however it overrides the HOTAS trim rendering it useless.

That's interesting. In what way does it interfere with the trim hat?

11 minutes ago, void68 said:

Not exactly on topic, but do you know if there's a possibility to edit a "just one press not three for ejection" line into the .lua?

On 8/24/2023 at 11:43 PM, darkman222 said:

I noticed this myself very recently. I find it hard, often impossible, to trim the aircraft for level flight with the trim hat on the stick. The tiniest actuation seems to have a way too powerful impact.
Using a Thrustmaster A-10/F-16 stick for it, I wouldn't know how to adjust senistivity as the trim hat is a set of buttons not axis.