Vietnam's Map

sangfhas

On 12/18/2020 at 8:52 PM, Minsky said:

From Kate Perederko (dotrugirl) on Discord:

[...]

5. Afghanistan map is quite possible (DCS already has a lot of relevant units for this setting). Vietnam map - rather no than yes. Cuba - no. Overall, ED doesn't have any definite plans regarding future maps.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Such a shame they're lukewarm on Vietnam, I think I saw a poll on here showing a significant desire for this region maybe even had the most votes. So many of the DCS player base will have watched the films & listened to the music from the war that connection alone would likely encourage them to purchase the map. I personally reckon this map would be a winner maybe Ugra media or some other 3rd party will deliver I really hope so.

• Like 5

There USED to be some talk of Afghanistan map, before the first talk of the Syria map. Haven't heard anything for some time about that. Might be quite good for Soviet a/c campaigns, not only for the HIND but also Froggies Hips and Fishies!! (-24, -25, -8, -21)

Been no talk of Korea or Vietnam... but I think it would be well received as an alternative to sand deserts that we now have 3 maps of (NTTC, PG, Syria), lots of trees and such. 

The HIND, Longbow and Kiowa suggest the possible future need for either central Europe (mby Germany?) or the Korean border region. Basically, trees and hills to hide and shoot and scoot around. Valley roads for armor to advance along, until some ATGM's bring them some chaos.

I don't think we should get too wrapped up in map-size limitations... any map considered now, is a long ways from being offered on the store, and by then, our own hardware will be much more capable than today. Now, yes, double the map dimentions and you are making a LOT more data for the hamsterwheel to crunch through, but the map makers will still have options to adjust things for frame rates. Also, new methods of creating items for maps might make these size increases less a problem. 

It's probably a much harder issue to simply have new map makers even start making a good solid map for DCS in the first place, and follow through to a soiid product for sale and virtual flying.   

• Like 2

IIRC F-4s and PFs fought over vietnam. Side note, the PF main differences from the Bis is the "hump back" past the canopy and the radar (RP-21) compared to the RP-23. Also performance wise. Etc and etc. But +1 for vietnam, I want to recreate the skoshi tigers with an F-5E campaign there

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

A SEA Module (with eight airplanes) would sell like hotcakes.

Maybe two airplanes for the NVAF (a mid-age MiG-21* and a MiG-17PF) and 6 for the US (two Phantoms**, an F-105, a Scooter, an F-100 and an A-1).

One could sell the Map and the Assets (NVAF and US) separately, as asset-bundles (NVAF pack and US SEA-Pack) and as a complete bundle.

____

* like a PFM

** Maybe a late B and a mid-to-late D to cover a wide range of capabilities with a minimal number of airframes

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 4

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The huey would love it.

Definitely a must-buy it.

• Like 1

wishlist: HH-60G Pave Hawk, MH-60R Sea Hawk, UH-60L Black Hawk, NH90, Super (Sea) Lynx / Mk.88, ME: A placeable animated LSE/marshaller for individual created FARPs

looking forward to: A-6E Intruder, A-7E Corsair II, BO-105 PAH1A1, C-130J, CH-47F Chinook, Eurofighter Typhoon, F-4E Phantom II, F4U-1D Corsair, OH-58D Kiowa, Tornado

Apache beware of the Sikorsky Armed Black Hawk!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We need a Vietnam map and Vietnam era assets. I've said this in other places I don't want any more asset packs like the WW II asst pack. Here are some options

• include asset development with the cost of the map and other modules
  • land and ship modules- at the bare minimum I'm asking for something I can drive or sail with working VR and a good command interface. An improved combined arms or fleet ops. though FF modules would be nice. Either way, the AI assets will be free but you pay to play as the land and sea assets.
  • a mixture of both would be idea. 
  • Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 7:14 AM, Count von Altibar said:

Such a shame they're lukewarm on Vietnam, I think I saw a poll on here showing a significant desire for this region maybe even had the most votes. So many of the DCS player base will have watched the films & listened to the music from the war that connection alone would likely encourage them to purchase the map. I personally reckon this map would be a winner maybe Ugra media or some other 3rd party will deliver I really hope so.

Count, since your profile icon is the Vietnamese flag would I be wrong in guessing you might live there? I'm not sure how big the map should be. The dream would be to cover Thailand to the gulf of Tonkin and part of Southern China. I also want to have at least two time periods. Clearly the 1960s would be mandatory I would also like a modern version of the map as well. I figure a China vs Vietnam show down with the US taking Vietnam's side would be good scenario. There is no way I expect to see a map that big though.  IMHO it would be idotic to have North(ern) Vietnam and the F-4E and not have Thailand. I could dig Yankee station if we have an F-4J. Dixie station would be fine with any variant of the F-4 except the G.  

19 hours ago, upyr1 said:

Clearly the 1960s would be mandatory I would also like a modern version of the map as well. I figure a China vs Vietnam show down with the US taking Vietnam's side would be good scenario. 

It's not just a good scenario, it's also reasonably plausible, the way things are unfolding these days!

I'm not sure it'll result in a full blown high intensity war, but it's definately a fairly new flashpoint that could result in several smaller skirmishes, but also COULD blow up into major conflict too. Especially since Vietnam would probably suddenly gain many brand new friends to play with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick50 said:

It's not just a good scenario, it's also reasonably plausible, the way things are unfolding these days!

I'm not sure it'll result in a full blown high intensity war, but it's definately a fairly new flashpoint that could result in several smaller skirmishes, but also COULD blow up into major conflict too. Especially since Vietnam would probably suddenly gain many brand new friends to play with. 

That's exactly why I said it would be a good scenario for DCS and a modern Vietnam map

Coming up on 2 years on this thread alone(not including everybody asking for Vietnam before this thread), I really hope ED has been doing some super secret map making in the backround for all these years

• Like 1

ASUS Tuf X570 Pro Wifi | Ryzen 7 5800X | 4x8gb 3200Mhz GSkill/Crucial | Gigabyte RTX 3060 TI | 1 500gb Samsung 860 EVO Boot SSD | 2 500gb HDD | 500gb Crucial NVMe (With DCS install) | EVGA 650BQ  |  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + TM TF Rudder Pedals | TrackIr 5 | A handy dandy notepad ; )

F-5E | A-10CII | F-14 | FC3 | F-16 | F/A-18 | M2kC | MiG-19 | Sa342 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | L-39 | C-101 | P-51D | FW-190 D-9 | F-86 | Combined Arms | Mi-24P | Mi-8 | NS430 | Apache | "Christian" Eagle II ✝️ | Mirage F1

Primary Aircraft = Strong Red | Secondary Aircraft = Orange | Rarely Used = Yellow | Dead Aircraft/Not Bound = Purple | Recent Spike of Use = Teal/Cyan/Aquamarine/Whatever you want to call this

• 4 weeks later...