A/G Radar Worries and ED work overload.

Cintra

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you copy/paste that picutre from Deka`s JF-17 AG radar? :)

No copying or pasting, but it is a screenshot from the JF-17. I haven't seen any screenshots showing the current state of the DBS mode, so it gives an indication of what we can expect when we get the same features in the 18.

No copying or pasting, but it is a screenshot from the JF-17. I haven't seen any screenshots showing the current state of the DBS mode, so it gives an indication of what we can expect when we get the same features in the 18.

Well, delete your expectation because:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256708

"Currently not providing EXP/DBS function"

I think you may be onto something:

attachment.php?attachmentid=222643&stc=1&d=1575904690

The DBS modes are done via Deka's own AG radar implementation, as these are not available in ED's API.

Basically, Deka was developping their own AG radar tech (but RBM and DBS), but they were not satisfied with the resulting effects and as such, they used ED's RBM AG radar API for the RBM mode.

Now the EXP/DCS mode should not be accessible in the JF-17, but due to a bug they are accessible via HOTAS commands. The resulting images are clearly WIP and not working as they should, as you can see through mountains and way past the maximum range of the radar. Right now, the DBS modes look like a simple top down "IR" view with some added noise and special effects.

So yeah, TL;DR Deka have said that DBS/SAR is not available in ED's API.

Hi,

Based on client feedback many, many more are looking forward to further AA radar and TGP development. Also, for aircraft like the Viper and Hornet, the AG radar has very limited utility these days. Most of the AG sensor work is done with the pod now.

Thanks

TGP is not a search sensor. It is a targeting system, hence the name, and used as a collaborative sensor with radar or other information such as intel etc. Personally, its not a big deal to me what we get first. We need it all and it takes time, but currently finding targets is a pain without a search sensor. TGP scrolls to slow for me and finding targets without knowing where to look is almost impossible for my old eyes thumbup:

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

• ED Team
TGP is not a search sensor. It is a targeting system, hence the name, and used as a collaborative sensor with radar or other information such as intel etc. Personally, its not a big deal to me what we get first. We need it all and it takes time, but currently finding targets is a pain without a search sensor. TGP scrolls to slow for me and finding targets without knowing where to look is almost impossible for my old eyes thumbup:

Hmm, that sounds more like a mission design issue if you are having trouble finding targets, I doubt that Hornets are generally sent on a mission without a clear area to search and engage, and the TGP does quite well if you have to stand off some.

Sure you cant do A2G radar missions without A2G radar, but I am not sure you are using your other systems to their full potential right now if you are having major issues.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

I don't think putting targeting pod work on hold so we can push on AG radar would go over well... to say the least.

Again, we need to focus on priorities, and the targeting pod improvements are critical.

Thanks

Hmm, that sounds more like a mission design issue if you are having trouble finding targets, I doubt that Hornets are generally sent on a mission without a clear area to search and engage, and the TGP does quite well if you have to stand off some.

Sure you cant do A2G radar missions without A2G radar, but I am not sure you are using your other systems to their full potential right now if you are having major issues.

I don't think its mission design. We build our missions to be as realistic as possible, so for example we don't have ground units sitting in open fields, but we do know the general area they are located. I certainly don't profess to be an expert on using the TGP and perhaps once the HUD reference is added that will greatly improve my or other members of our wings success in finding targets.

I am wondering what folks are using for settings on their controller. I use the little round wheel to scroll the TGP and I find is slow and sticky. I have a new HOTAS stick. When I can find targets, yes the TGP is great. :thumbup:

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

I don't think putting targeting pod work on hold so we can push on AG radar would go over well... to say the least.

Again, we need to focus on priorities, and the targeting pod improvements are critical.

Thanks

Stay the course :thumbup:

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Thanks

100 % with you to finish the tgp this (hornet)month !!! And copy/paste AG radar from jf17 :music_whistling:

• ED Team

It would be quite silly to copy and paste the JF-15 AG radar as it operates quite differently than that of the Hornet. However, the JF-17 uses the AG radar API we created, so it will look quite similar.

Thanks

• ED Team
Sounds good

Hope TWS comes also soon for the Hornet

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

Just about ready for the 18 Dec OB. We just need to add the RESET function and it should be feature complete.

Thanks

Just about ready for the 18 Dec OB. We just need to add the RESET function and it should be feature complete.

Thanks

Wow very nice

What did I tell you guys Hornet jockeys..... 2 - 3 weeks is no joke

Thank you ED

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

But why you don’t put it in the hornet before to make a new one ?

Because ED didn't make the JF-17, so they haven't put it into another aircraft ahead of the Hornet..... Fairly self-explanatory.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

It is unfortunate that people are taking the point of this thread incorrectly. Perhaps @NineLine, it would be best to maybe make a separate post about the A/G radar as I think your information about the JF-17 using the ED AG radar and that the tech is with the terrain team is being lost in this thread.