ME freezing up

ben1101

Hey,

For the past few months I have had this issue in the ME where it freezes up and becomes unresponsive to all input. If I click on the map it will display the ground elevation otherwise it remains static. If I click on a unit the window shows up to the right but disappears when I click on it. The only way to recover is to end DCS in the task manager. I have tried repairing my install of DCS but no luck.

This issue occurs within 5 minutes of using the ME and the only way I have of working with it is to make a single change then launch the sim and repeat.

I have looked for solutions but came up empty handed, I have been through all my mods loaded with OvGME, toggling them one by one and all off etc. but still this issue persists. I thought I maybe got it when I unloaded the Persian gulf noise textures fix but Its returned.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, as I am at a loss.

Thanks!

Ben

Edited by ben1101

i5 4690K, GTX1070, 24GB 1800mhz, HP WMR, Custom FFB helicopter controls.

Here is the log file :)

I am currently moving my install onto a different SSD as the one it is on rated poorly in some performance tests, and I recall a year ago getting corrupted downloads when downloading to this drive. Considering how this issue seems rare, I am guessing the SSD is to blame. Will update with outcome.

dcslog.txt

Edited by ben1101

• ED Team

Hi

your page file is set to low

3584 MB

try increasing it and see if things improve

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=230471

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks mate!

Increased pagefile to size of RAM but its still happening, I have figured out I can hit CTRL+S to save and then CTRL+O to re open the mission which seems to wake it up so thats at least an improvement from having to restart DCS.

• 3 weeks later...

ME locked up. Trying to save a newly created mission in the Normandy Map. File functions stopped working. I can still move around and zoom in on the map, but cannot select any of the placed assets, not place anything new. I maybe have two-dozen assets placed, most of them are static objects. I can change map views "MAP", "SAT","ALT". If I try to exit, it warns me I have unsaved changes and asks if I want to save them. I click "YES" to save them. Nothing happens. If I click "NO", nothing happens. All of the tools on the left and on the top no longer function. I guess it will be Ctrl-Alt-Del to Task Manager and kill DCS...and lose all my work. ME had been working fine in Nevada map, yesterday. No changes to updates or mods since then. Seems it is Normandy that is broken or one of the assets I added that froze it up. Everything worked ok until I tried to place a ship in the English Channel...then it locked up before I could even select which ship I wanted to place. Now, I cannot place, select or delete any items.

DCS.exe has 15.2 GB of my machine's 16 GB but appears to only be using 8.5 GB actively. Is this a memory leak? CPU usage is 15% on 4 of 8 cores. The other 4 cores are near 0%. Other than IE to this forum, nothing else is running. And IE only has 90 MB of the RAM.

Yes, had to 'kill' DCS in Task Manager. Only way to get out of it. Lost my work...which I couldn't save. Do frequent saves...I told myself this before, but I just never listen to myself. grrr. :) Auto save to a temp file would be nice.

V2.5.5.41318. Maybe this is a buggy version. I'll update to latest v2.5.5.41371 which seems to include many updates/fixes to Normandy map. How do I only update to stable versions?

It would be nice if the DCS program would alert me, upon start, that I am running an unstable version. I mean, if the last stable version was 2.5.5.39384 and the new latest stable version is 2.5.5.41371, and I just launched version 2.5.5.41318...the program should alert me..."You are running an 'unstable' version. Please upgrade to version 2.5.5.41371." That is, if the version I am running has a known error that could cause a freeze, crash or memory management problems that could lead to loss of ME work. Then, if I choose not to upgrade, that's my problem. But if the 'latest' version only has feature updates then I often skip it if it doesn't affect the modules I'm going to run at the time.

Edited by Andrew8604
add details