Spotting air/ground targets, 1080p vs 1440p, 24" vs 27"

davidtsw

I'm playing on a 24" 1080p monitor and considering getting something bigger. I've already cranked up SSAA and adjusted my FOV to be able to spot targets better but it still isn't as good as I'd like it to be.

The two options I'm considering are:

a) getting a 27" 1080p monitor

b) getting a 27" 1440p monitor

From what I understand, since the pixels are smaller on a 27" 1440p, it would actually make spotting more difficult, correct ? Will I not lose too much sharpness on a FHD 27" though ?

This guy did some interesting tests:

I'm not sure how big of a difference it will be (perceptually) but I would go for the 1080p monitor if I were you - side benefit is that you can crank out higher settings. I have VR but still mostly prefer to play on my old 1360x768 42" Samsung TV because: spotting is easier, can run at nicer settings, and is more comfortable for longer sessions. If I didn't have this TV laying around then I would ideally want something like 55" at 1440p.

Edited by slikbaz

SSAA negatively impacts your ability to see stuff, yes it looks nice but using MSAA 4x (if you system can handle it is much better). And if you are looking to upgrade I'd recommend the 27" 1440 option. If you run MSAA with it spotting is usable not great but usable. You could get a 55" tv if you want but if you play any other games the input lag doesn't make it worth it. And ones with good input lag are VERY expensive as well.