FlightSim Junkie - Mission Editor Tutorials

David OC

Setting up a quick mission in DCS with all the aircraft you have bought.

Put them all in the same mission. Set them all to skill level (client)

This way you can choose which one to fly all in the one mission at the start.

The others will not spawn in. You can change to a different aircraft whenever you want. By hitting escape and choose a different slot/aircraft.

You can even put as many of the same aircraft in the mission. One air start, one hot start, one cold start etc.

Other things in this video

How to set up drone aircraft for practice (Weapon Hold) 3:40

How to force unlimited weapons for this mission 6:25

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Add a simple trigger to your mission so you can practice dogfighting with fox 2's etc.

Here I add a simple trigger so you can decide when the enemy will go weapons hot.

That way you can position yourself in many different positions and try different things for A2A practice.

As you can see you are doing a small amount of logic coding within the DCS editor.

You can create very dynamic situations with just this logic alone and the tools / options within the editor itself. Many campaigns are built just with the editors tools.

You can also expand on this with scripting in lua. (More on this later)

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Here I add a waypoint switch for the enemy aircraft that will stay and repeat it's set waypoints until out of fuel and return to base. You still decide when this aircraft will go weapons free.

I also setup a cold war border with a very deadly SAM system. This will be a lot harder than your used to possibly and showing what it would be like to face a very cunning enemy.

Download this mission to try it FlightSim_Junkie_Mission_Tutorial_3.miz

I recommend you build something for yourself to practice using the editor.

Place it in your mission folder

C:UsersYOUR USER PC NAMESaved GamesDCS [ver: openbeta etc] Missions

I will expand on this in the next video.

Edited by David OC

Thanks a lot .. I dont know why I missed this thread before, I will subscribe to your channel, as I still have a lot to learn :)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 1 month later...
Thanks a lot .. I dont know why I missed this thread before, I will subscribe to your channel, as I still have a lot to learn :)

Best regards

+1

Thank You Sir! I look forward to going through ALL your playlists. Subscribed.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Guy's!

Here is a new one going over a mission that is already built in DCS for the A-10C.

I think it gives more of a complete overview and the scope of building and organizing, keeping track of triggers in a large mission etc.

Pulling apart some of these is how I learned how to build them, it can also give you ideas to use and how to use them in your own missions. Like the moving of ground forces from Waypoint X to Waypoint X and also making them use flares on their own position so the user can find them when flying around.

I'll go more into this "signal flare on unit" next using the (Switched condition)

Homework lol

Go through the manual and start to understand what these triggers / conditions and actions do and mean.

X:Program FilesEagle DynamicsDCS World OpenBeta (or Stable)Doc

DCS User Manual EN.pdf

Start Page 81

Example

"(TYPE drop down field). Using this drop down, you can set a condition type for the trigger. There are 50 types of conditions you can use. Conditions include:

ALL OF COALITION IN ZONE. When creating a Trigger Zone, you can set a trigger to true when all of the set coalition units (aircrafts, vehicles, ships) are inside a defined trigger zone. Upon selecting this condition, two new fields will be displayed. The COALITION drop down menu allows you to select the coalition that when inside the selected trigger zone will set the condition to true. The ZONE drop down will list all the trigger zones you have created according to the names you created for them.

ALL OF COALITION OUT OF ZONE. This condition works the same as the ALL OF COALITION IN ZONE, but the condition will be set to true when the all coalition's units are outside the defined zone.

ALL OF GROUP IN ZONE. When creating a Trigger Zone, you can set a trigger to true when all units of the set group are inside a defined trigger zone. The GROUP drop down menu allows you to select the group that when inside the selected trigger zone will set the condition to true. The ZONE drop down will list all the trigger zones you have created according to the names you created for them.

(ACTION drop down field). Using this drop down, you can set an action for the trigger. There are 48 types of actions that you can use. Actions include:

AI TASK. An AI action set in the TRIGGERED ACTIONS panel of the AI Group Properties Advanced Actions menu will be executed. The desired AI action identified by its name should be selected from drop down list.

DO SCRIPT. Runs a LUA script as entered in the TEXT filed.

DO SCRIPT FILE. Runs a LUA script file that is linked to in the TEXT field.

END MISSION. If you wish to have the mission end according one or more specified conditions being set to true, you can use this action. This can be a handy action to end a mission after all mission objectives have been met. In the text box, you can also enter text that will appear when one side has won the mission.

EXPLODE UNIT. From this action, select a unit that you wish to explode as a result of this action. You can use the volume setting to determine the size of the explosion."

These ones I go thru in the video are the main ones you will use generally when building a mission for yourself or others.

Practice setting up a small mission and just using one of those commands.

Player aircraft (Skill set to player)

Add an ai Tank or Aircraft with a (hold or orbit) for the first warpoint or waypoint number whatever.

Advanced (Waypoint Actions)

Add

(Type) Perform Task

(Action) Hold or Orbit

(Stop condition) Flag 10 etc

Triggers

RADIO ITEM ADD. This actions allows you to add a custom radio message to the player's radio communications menu in-game. Enter the desired radio message in the RADIO TEXT field. In the FLAG field, set the flag number that will be set to (ON) when the player selects this radio message.

Note, this trigger does not work in multiplayer.

Set flag to 10 value 1

When you fly this mission (Put yourself over the tank or aircraft in the air and watch him continue on once you select this radio item)

Edited by David OC

Add Radio Sounds and Text To Your Mission

Download this mission to try it.

FlightSim_Junkie_A-10C Radio_Test_Mission V1.miz

Place in

C:Users(YOUR USER NAME)Saved GamesDCS (Stable or Beta)Missions

To see the sound files in this mission above.

I use 7zip to extract the files into a folder. (Right Click - Open with 7Zip)

C:(Make a Folder)l10nDEFAULT

There you will see the .ogg sound files in the mission.

Copy these sound files to C: Mission Sounds (Etc) This will make it easier to find the files once in the DCS editor. DCS will copy these into your new mission file when saved.

Make your own Sound (PC and Voice) recorded with the free Audacity. Modify / distort and export to .ogg file.

Example

Snippets about the Radios taken from the A-10C Manual

AN/ARC-186(V) VHF AM Radio 1 Control Panel (Top)

The VHF/AM (Radio 1) transmits and receives between 116.00 and 151.975 MHz. If the radio is tuned to a frequency outside the valid range, a warning tone will be heard.

---------------------------------------------------------------

AN/ARC-164 UHF Radio Control Panel (Center)

The UHF radio has 20 preset channels (PRESET) and the ability to manually enter a channel frequency (MNL). The frequency range runs from 225.000 to 399.975 MHz.

During most missions, you will communicate with your flight using this radio.

---------------------------------------------------------------

AN/ARC-186(V) VHF FM Radio 2 Control Panel (Bottom)

This radio operates like Radio 1, but is assigned the VHF FM radio frequency range. The VHF/FM operates between 30.000 and 76.000 MHz. If the radio is tuned to a frequency outside the valid range, a warning tone will be heard.

In most missions, Radio 2 will be used to communicate with JTAC units.

Edited by David OC

• 3 years later...
14 minutes ago, Mikestriken said:

RIP Videos

nothing last for ever, people gets tired of DCS all the time, and new users like you arrive all the time also 🙂 

maybe this list of mine can help you:

For me, @SUNTSAG and @104th_Maverick videos are the most useful.

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB