Is ECM useful for DEAD/SEAD?

Gault05

Is the ecm helpful when conducting SEAD/DEAD sorties for aircraft near a SAM site, or is it better to leave them off and use the emitter from the SAM site?

DCS status:

Case:NZXT S340 Mid Tower;Motherboard:MSi 970 Gaming DDR3 ATX;CPU:AMD FX-8350 8-Core Unlocked with Hyper 212 Evo heatsink;Memory:Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3;Hard Drive:Samsung 640GB;SSD: Crucial 256GB;Sound:Asus Xonar DGX; Power: EVGA 600W B1 80+;OS:Windows 10 64-bit; GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB 256-bit

Modules: Flaming Cliffs 3, P-51D, Combined Arms, Black Shark 3, A-10C/2, WW2 Assets, F/A-18C, F-16C Viper, AH-64D, Supercarrier, China Assets Pack

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, Marianas, Sinai

Thats a good question!

Besides, I wonder if home-on-jam weapons are modelled in DCS. Maybe you could kill those jammer-spamming players in MP with a HARM-missile. :D

On the F15C (FC module) you can launch in HOJ mode so it is modeled at least in some way

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

Is the ecm helpful when conducting SEAD/DEAD sorties for aircraft near a SAM site, or is it better to leave them off and use the emitter from the SAM site?

Using the emitter from the SAM site? What do you mean by that?

Besides, I wonder if home-on-jam weapons are modelled in DCS. Maybe you could kill those jammer-spamming players in MP with a HARM-missile. :D

HOJ is implemented in DCS. The AIM-7 Sparrow has it for example.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, ECM will reduce the SAM launch range, letting you get closer with HARM's or whatever.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

It really depends on the plane and the ECM system.

Generally 2 things happen.

1. Slightly reduced launch range by like 10-20% depending on the ECM/SAM

2. Slightly longer time to lock usually by a few extra seconds. i.e. 8 instead of 4 or something. Again, depends on the system and the SAM.

It varies greatly on the ECM system in question. And I've only really used 2 of them with any regularity.

Harrier ECM tends to work fairly well against all sites. There is crazy long thread by Hollbeach in the harrier section where he just posts up stuff he does with the harrier, and somewhere more recently he actually tests the ECM vs ships/sams.

Viggen ECM works well against older SA-2/3/6 sites but not much help against double digit sams in my experience. And mainly only from the front/rear aspects. Again, I think there is test thread somewhere.

That being said, its not some sort magic SAM or AAM shield. It tends to only give you a slight advantage, and the best practice is to use terrain masking as much as possible. But it can give you a few extra seconds to find/lock/launch weapons with the harrier, or Viggen.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).