Jump to content

winter update still on track? (yak-52 candlelit vigil)


twistking
 Share

Recommended Posts

Flying DCS since 2011 as Steam version before switching over.

Original Kickstarter participant of 4 aircraft.

Years waiting. ED/DCS saved the project. They lost money on it. Yet they salvaged it.

I just flew other excellent aircraft in the meantime.

Now I am getting beautiful warbirds, and over time they keep getting better.

Paid like everyone else (and then some).

ED/DCS is working an entire world, ground/sea/air - extremely ambitious and far reaching.

If they say they will get to the Yak, they will - fly another module in the meantime and enjoy one of the premier simulators for desk top nerds out there, in the combat arena.

EA is EA. Focus changes, even on released modules. Also - COVID for 2 years now.

There are always other titles if you are that aggrieved.

This isn't Borderlands 3, or CoD. (I do enjoy some mindless Borderlands 3 Moze mech grind/build). 😆

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

Flying DCS since 2011 as Steam version before switching over.

Original Kickstarter participant of 4 aircraft.

Years waiting. ED/DCS saved the project. They lost money on it. Yet they salvaged it.

I just flew other excellent aircraft in the meantime.

Now I am getting beautiful warbirds, and over time they keep getting better.

Paid like everyone else (and then some).

ED/DCS is working an entire world, ground/sea/air - extremely ambitious and far reaching.

If they say they will get to the Yak, they will - fly another module in the meantime and enjoy one of the premier simulators for desk top nerds out there, in the combat arena.

EA is EA. Focus changes, even on released modules. Also - COVID for 2 years now.

There are always other titles if you are that aggrieved.

This isn't Borderlands 3, or CoD. (I do enjoy some mindless Borderlands 3 Moze mech grind/build). 😆

Really well said, thanks. It's nice to hear from someone with such a positive outlook, especially with your experience.

 

I am relatively new here, and really get all the frustration with all the waiting that goes on. But as much as I couldn't blame anyone for getting frustrated after such long waiting periods, I think some have let the extremely high level of frustration that has built up take over their better judgement.

 

I mean if we take a step back for a moment so that we can think about this with more clarity, what could ED possibly gain by keeping people waiting? Why would they want to do that?

 

If they could just pump out the modules and fix all the bugs, why wouldn't they just do that when doing so would bring more sales?

 

There must be a reason, and my guess is that there is a lot more work going into these modules and DCS World in general then the average gamer gives credit for.

 

This is not the cookie cutter express, where flying one plane is like flying them all. I absolutely love the DCS war birds. Of the six modules I collected so far, nothing can be more obvious to me then how different each one is to fly. The amount of attention to detail given to each of these models is incredible IMO. If ED could have pumped out 10 more models in the same time period, they would have obviously done that for the increased revenue, but clearly they can't, not at least if we want this level of detail.

 

Issues with early access are unfortunate, but I am 100% certain that without it, ED would not be able to develop. Even with EA, I would bet that ED still has to carry a large part of the financial burden needed to complete each project, and they do that without any guarantee of a return on investment.

 

But I think the issue is even bigger than that, and the push to make more modules available is also necessary. I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the reason ED has released a number of new planes before going back to fix older issues, and my guess is that we will see improvements in ED's ability to address bug fixes as the inventory of available modules increases.

 

Like you, I am 100% confident that the Yak-52 will be completed, ED just has more pressing issues it HAS to deal with before it can.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2021 at 8:31 PM, Jester986 said:

DCS really needs to be a subscription service to incentivize module maintenance versus the new release conveyor belt. 

It does not. Very few games survived on this model and much more died of player starvation. Also, frost is not a hindrance to fire -- as clearly demonstrated by the modern AAA "game" industry, paying subscription or buying a game will prevent neither ingame shop (aka "time savers", meaning game designed around wasting your time in industrial quantities, and "convenience improvements", meaning the game is designed to be inconvenient without those purchases), nor battle passes (turning the game into a second job), nor lootbox casino, nor gacha -- nor any other form of aggressive and manipulative monetization. It just doesn't work that way. Good thing making an A, B or even indie games is now easy enough, paving the way for smaller studios with creative people to step forward. Personally, I'd very like to see how DCS or F4 look and play on Unreal 5. 

 

4 hours ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

Also - COVID for 2 years now.

CoViD-19 is an extreme hindrance to building virtual testbeds and working with documentation, I suppose? :yes:

Come on, this can be a valid excuse for something real-world related -- like tourism or even agriculture -- but for a small indie studio working indoors on computer game this cannot do any noticeable harm (unless it hits some key personnel). 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Черный Дракул said:

It does not. Very few games survived on this model and much more died of player starvation. Also, frost is not a hindrance to fire -- as clearly demonstrated by the modern AAA "game" industry, paying subscription or buying a game will prevent neither ingame shop (aka "time savers", meaning game designed around wasting your time in industrial quantities, and "convenience improvements", meaning the game is designed to be inconvenient without those purchases), nor battle passes (turning the game into a second job), nor lootbox casino, nor gacha -- nor any other form of aggressive and manipulative monetization. It just doesn't work that way. Good thing making an A, B or even indie games is now easy enough, paving the way for smaller studios with creative people to step forward. Personally, I'd very like to see how DCS or F4 look and play on Unreal 5. 

 

CoViD-19 is an extreme hindrance to building virtual testbeds and working with documentation, I suppose? :yes:

Come on, this can be a valid excuse for something real-world related -- like tourism or even agriculture -- but for a small indie studio working indoors on computer game this cannot do any noticeable harm (unless it hits some key personnel). 

 

DCS on unreal? Definitely, yes please..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Черный Дракул said:

. . .a

 

CoViD-19 is an extreme hindrance to building virtual testbeds and working with documentation, I suppose? :yes:

Come on, this can be a valid excuse for something real-world related -- like tourism or even agriculture -- but for a small indie studio working indoors on computer game this cannot do any noticeable harm (unless it hits some key personnel). 


People get sick. Their families get sick. Their co-workers get sick. The impact ripples throughout.

You are talking to a network engineer that built the resources so "desk drivers" and "coders" could work from home - and production still faltered, not just with code, but many things.

Peoples lives have been thrown into chaos, due to families and co-workers impacted by COVID - and their jobs too. Even "small" Indie studios, though I wouldn't characterize DCS in that manner.

I deal with the impact to WFH day in and day out. For instance, lots of folks are not (drum roll) network savvy, they work from home, and their spouse or kids are on the home net. People have slow connections, or realize they have way too low bandwidth for what they are trying to do now - then you get "I build computers in school" jacking with everything while home from college and wreck the home net. We get calls day in and day out about inability to connect, and trying to troubleshoot home junk networks is a nightmare.

WFH isn't some glorious cure that is going to "shatter" the centralized work place, it isn't going to go away either, but it isn't like Johnny code slinger goes home, and all his other code slinging WFH work buddies are suddenly more productive and nailing project deadline in the middle of a pandemic. First hand experience with this, from South America, North America, into Western Europe, Russia and China - code slingers and desk drivers are just as prone to impacts from COVID as a shop floor machine operator is, who cannot get enough sheet steel to manufacture product.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

Really well said, thanks. It's nice to hear from someone with such a positive outlook, especially with your experience.

 

I am relatively new here, and really get all the frustration with all the waiting that goes on. But as much as I couldn't blame anyone for getting frustrated after such long waiting periods, I think some have let the extremely high level of frustration that has built up take over their better judgement.

 

I mean if we take a step back for a moment so that we can think about this with more clarity, what could ED possibly gain by keeping people waiting? Why would they want to do that?

 

If they could just pump out the modules and fix all the bugs, why wouldn't they just do that when doing so would bring more sales?

 

There must be a reason, and my guess is that there is a lot more work going into these modules and DCS World in general then the average gamer gives credit for.

 

 . . .


Thank you - all it takes is patience.

I am not saying ED hasn't dropped the ball here and there, but they always come through on some level, and the complexity of their creation when you really delve into the meshing of Combined Arms, Carriers, Flight, weapons systems, radar, weapons dynamics, radio, radio interoperability between airframes (think completion of SADL with A-10 and F-16) - it is mind boggling what they are reaching for, and what it will look like 5 years from now.

DCS was mind boggling in 2012, and now it just blows my mind compared to then - it will only get better.

  • Like 1

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, SmirkingGerbil said:


Thank you - all it takes is patience.

I am not saying ED hasn't dropped the ball here and there, but they always come through on some level, and the complexity of their creation when you really delve into the meshing of Combined Arms, Carriers, Flight, weapons systems, radar, weapons dynamics, radio, radio interoperability between airframes (think completion of SADL with A-10 and F-16) - it is mind boggling what they are reaching for, and what it will look like 5 years from now.

DCS was mind boggling in 2012, and now it just blows my mind compared to then - it will only get better.

Awesome!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

 

Well, it's certainly nice to see some vibrant discourse on the Yak-52 forum - just goes to show how loved the module still is, despite it's issues.

 

Two other reasons to get this module not mentioned thus far are:

1) It's one of the few modules I actually have a snowball's chance in hell of flying IRL. So I am happy to use it to familiarise myself with the systems and procedures.

2) ...and I can't believe nobody has mentioned this....BUSH FLYING!!

 

There is a mod in User Files which adds in some small grass strips.... ton of fun.

 

That said, I sadly must confess that it's been a while since I last flew her in DCS..... must set up a nice sunset flight this weekend 😀

 

+1 to the 'please finish this module' crowd.

 

RBG


Edited by ratherbegliding
  • Thanks 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i5 / 16gb RAM / Nvidia GeForce 1080Ti / Viewsonic 28" monitor / TM Warthog / TM Elite rudder pedals / TrackIR5

 

First flight sim: Psion 'Flight Simulator' (ZX Spectrum 48k)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the encouragement. I am actually really looking forward to getting the Yak. One of the best Yak videos I saw was by EightBall, where he lands and takes off from the side of a mountain. If you haven't seen it, you should really have a look for it, its worth a view.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SmirkingGerbil said:


People get sick. Their families get sick. Their co-workers get sick. The impact ripples throughout.

You are talking to a network engineer that built the resources so "desk drivers" and "coders" could work from home - and production still faltered, not just with code, but many things.

Peoples lives have been thrown into chaos, due to families and co-workers impacted by COVID - and their jobs too. Even "small" Indie studios, though I wouldn't characterize DCS in that manner.

I deal with the impact to WFH day in and day out. For instance, lots of folks are not (drum roll) network savvy, they work from home, and their spouse or kids are on the home net. People have slow connections, or realize they have way too low bandwidth for what they are trying to do now - then you get "I build computers in school" jacking with everything while home from college and wreck the home net. We get calls day in and day out about inability to connect, and trying to troubleshoot home junk networks is a nightmare.

WFH isn't some glorious cure that is going to "shatter" the centralized work place, it isn't going to go away either, but it isn't like Johnny code slinger goes home, and all his other code slinging WFH work buddies are suddenly more productive and nailing project deadline in the middle of a pandemic. First hand experience with this, from South America, North America, into Western Europe, Russia and China - code slingers and desk drivers are just as prone to impacts from COVID as a shop floor machine operator is, who cannot get enough sheet steel to manufacture product.

 

I've been literally non-stop since work boomed in April last year, my contract price has doubled from demand..

 

I had 2 weeks off at the start of lockdown, then it was work more than normal since.

Covid's been bad, but not in the uk tech  industry.

 

Me and the missus bought a second house, and were looking at a third.

 

Covid was a good excuse at the start, but companies put infrastructure into their business to accommodate the struggle.

By the end of June everyone had that sorted.

 

Everybody here knows we're going to eventually get the yak finished.

We're not under any illusions about that, they're frustrated because it's not being worked on (from the changelogs), and when they ask -it's the same excuse 'we'll get around to it when we're not busy'..

And I'm not sure that's making people feel any better.

A year ago, it was promised on Reddit that this module would leave EA (along with the AP), and yet still not even an update on the yak.

It's upsetting, and like you said- we have to enjoy other modules, but this is the cost of Early Access.

 

If ED genuinely don't want the complaints, they have to either re-evaluate their stance. And either finish modules before they reach the shop front or stop selling them in EA.

 

As a business, they can't make promises to the customer in return for our early investment, then get upset with us when we aren't happy that they haven't delivered.

This isn't a personal vendetta, it's honest feedback.

People will always buy the modules, that's not going to change.

 

If they wish to carry on going the way they are they have to take the complaints when they don't deliver.

 

'The team will get around to it' is not a valid excuse to put a module in the shop.

 

Hence why the yak thread is becoming the way it is.

 

And it's a little sad that people aren't been given estimates even if the expected delivery time is 5 years from now 

 

I mean I can't even get a response, on the actual RRP price of the module.

Meanwhile the shop just says EA $39.99, no discount, and yet it's been pointed out that the module is discounted. That's despite previous posts where it's been pointed out that EA status modules won't be put into sales for two years.

 

Can you blame people for their complaints when the standards are as they are?

 

On a positive, I also enjoy the yak, and hope the 'finish it' crowd get some resolution soon.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Merged threads, 

 

We are well aware of the need to finish the YAK-52 and it is planned as soon as we have dev time. 

 

We have listened to the feedback and passed it on to the team, some have given it more than once. 

 

When we have news to share we will share it. 

 

Thanks

  • Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...