F16 TGP slewing issue

Flightsimnerd

Be sure to be in AG CCRP mode. It does not slew in CCIP, which is correct behaviour accoeding to the devs.

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Hey Flightsimnerd,

A couple of issues might be affecting you.

First, at present we are only able to Slew the TGP while in AG / CCRP mode. This means there has to be a waypoint near your target area you can initially slew to and then adjust as necessary.

Next, We're gonna need a little more information to help you. Let us know what kind of Stick and throttle are you using so we can make sure you have the necessary controls mapped correctly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Thanks all

I did not know you had to assign a waypoint now it all works

Good News...eventually you'll be able to slew to a waypoint etc...W.I.P.

(Another trick is to Select CCRP, use TMS Down to "Cage" the TGP. Point the Box TGP Box on the HUD at a new target area and use TMS Forward to ground stabilize the TGP. You can then Slew to new target)

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Am I right in saying we will get the a and b version of the JSOW even though the B version was cancelled IRL

That's what the planned payloads thread says, A & B models:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=241132

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

• 4 months later...

F16-C Slewing and AG LGB problems

Hello there and I hope you are all having a great day,

I have had no problems hitting targets in AG mode in my F/A 18 or A10C but CAN NOT seem to get AG down in the F16C

The slew button on my WARTHOG HOTAS seems very difficult to control smoothly and also likes to slide around on its own a lot. I end up using the keyboard to slew onto the target in Point Track.

When I finally am able to get the Point Track to sit on the target, it almost at that point feels like I am missing something to get the track to lock onto the target; when I drop and then trigger laser, the bomb hits near the target but NEVER on the target.

TWO issues here are the squirrelly and difficult control over the slew button on the throttle of HOTAS and then, no matter how many times I try, constant near misses on the target.

I am slewing TGP (which is SOI) in CCRP but after I "rest" the Point Track on the target, it feels like I am missing something to make the radar actually see the target for some reason.

I have Steer point set on a target, laser-armed and trigger pulled after release (flashing L)

4 days now of trying over and over to land a bomb with no luck.

I've watched Wag's, Spuds AND Cap's vids over and over and feel like I am following all their methods accurately but with NO SUCCESS!!!

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very appreciative.

Thank you.

Leo

F16-C Slewing and AG LGB problems

Hey Ramjet and thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

I am certain the TGP actually WOULD work fine on any other HAT actually and I have searched to find how others are slewing and how they set up because using a HAT will remove the functions currently (by default) were set on that hat. Which HAT do you use and what do you do with the functions purposed for that HAT?

Because I've been working (unsuccessfully) for several days on this trying to figure it out, I've been dropping between 6 and 10k with an immediate slowing and immediate lasing.

I am not overflying the target, I'm trying to keep the TGP in clear sight of target by angling off target after release, I've set codes...

One thing that seems different with LGB from f16c to fa18c is after placing point track onto the target you must click TDC to lock onto it with the laser? But with the f16 I don't do that it seems.

So what YOU are doing is setting your targeting pod in point track over the target, lining it up and doing a normal CCRP bomb run, right?

I am working right now so may not be able to respond quickly now but THANK YOU again for your feedback Ramjet

Hey Leostra,

Couple of things I can suggest as currently, I have no issues with LGBs in the F16.

Have you tried assigning the TGP slew to a different HAT switch on your controller? I use a warthog system but moved the slew to another one and it works fine.

Are you lasing the target from the moment you release the bomb? Dropping from 15000ft I wait about 8 seconds until holding the trigger to lase. TTI is not implemented yet on the HUD. Also, make sure you lase the object near its base ie a vehicle tire

Perhaps save and upload a track of your attempts so others can maybe spot what’s going on.

I know my suggestions are basic and not a definite solution but got to start somewhere ������

H

Hi,

I use the Coolie hat on the throttle front next to the slew control to slew as my slew control itself is a bit worn and sensitive nowadays. I use the slew control push though as my RDR Cursor/Enable depress.

You are correct that the F16 does not need to designate the target, so slew cursor over target and then I usually TMS up to go point track but that is not a must, Area track is fine on non moving objects.

Try bombing from 15-20,000 ft at 400 kts + and see if it makes a difference.

Only laze about 10-12 seconds prior to impact ( you will have to best guess that until TTI comes) if you lase immediately after release the bomb may run out of energy on a shallow flight path. From 20,000 it’s about 40 seconds.

Once the bomb comes off the rail after a few seconds start a shallow angle of bank turn to the right ( use autopilot alt hold helps)

Then after about 10 seconds start holding the trigger ( Flashing L) and hopefully that will get you a direct hit. As you pass over the target if the cross hair has drifted slightly due to slant error from where you first set it then just gentle move it back to target.

Codes are all set by default currently to 1688 so nothing needed there.

Sounds like you might just have been too low and slow and the bomb might have been running out of energy. But I’m no expert so just a guess.

Edit:Just to add I’m referencing the open beta build.

Edited by ramjet77

I use the slew control push though as my RDR Cursor/Enable depress.

Is this the RDR DOWN button you mean? (There is a RDR Cursor R,L, U and D button)

Try bombing from 15-20,000 ft at 400 kts + and see if it makes a difference.

I'll go back to this method again but did this for the first two days of A-G practice

Only laze about 10-12 seconds prior to impact ( you will have to best guess that until TTI comes) if you lase immediately after release the bomb may run out of energy on a shallow flight path. From 20,000 it’s about 40 seconds.

The pattern I have seen, I think, is that the bombs are overshooting their mark marginally usually 50 to 100 yards estimated

Once the bomb comes off the rail after a few seconds start a mild angle of bank turn to the right ( use autopilot alt hold helps)

Then after about 10 seconds start holding the trigger ( Flashing L) and hopefully that will get you a direct hit. As you pass over the target if the cross hair has drifted slightly due to slant error from where you first set it then just gentle move it back to target.

I've been angling off after bomb release, as you suggest and now that I know I can move the cursor, I will correct that after release because you said so. Thank you.

So, I'm not sure you are correct (but who am I to argue) about the need to set codes, I thought you needed to set the code in your MFD under 0 (miscellaneous) and 5 (RDR) in order to set the correct TGP code "1688" as it is NOT in there by default.

I'm going to try this again, I was going to quit but ill try and let ya know how it goes.

Thanks again mate

If you use the HAT on the front of the throttle for slewing, what do you use for your TMS switches R, L, U and D?

Can you suggest a good map for setting WARTHOG HOTAS up effectively for f16, as currently, I use the Thumb HAT on Throttle for steering which is nice as I can keep both hands on HOTAS during take off this way.

The RDR Cursor/Enable button moves D, U, L, R and has a push in (depress) function. So I use the Coolie hat to slew and the slew control next to it only as a depress control, not for any slewing. The TMS, DMS are on the Joystick as per real aircraft.

I use the thumb HAT on the throttle as the uncage button by pressing it and also for ANT ELEV up/down. Not much else needed right now as the warthog stick is practically the same as the F16 and is bound as the real A/C.

All I can suggest is you try again because it definitely works and I can hit the target every time and never have to set laser codes as they are already there by default.

If you still cannot get it working maybe you could post a video showing us how you setup and drop the weapon.

Edited by ramjet77

Thanks again!

YOU have given me hope with your assurances and direction, I'm just getting started today, I'll figure it out or come back at you later today or tomorrow with a report or questions.

My DMS is on my stick too but changed my TMS (to thumb HAT on the throttle) so I could use that TMS button to zoom in and out slow; I use the Thumb hat on the trigger to look around...right?

WHAT DO YOU USE TO LOOK AROUND

What do you use to look around and inside of the cockpit?

I still have the issue. And its weird:

If I (just for test) starting the F-16 in-the-air, my TGP on HUD works absolute perfect.

Just if I start from ground it still freezes on HUD and it is in no case in STBY mode.

I hope guys you get my points and can help me.

I did all the possible solutions step by step but from ground CCRP is freezing my TGP on HUD:

Any solutions? :/

Ram'll halp ya! He's da man! If he cant hep ya no one can

RAMJETT will tell ya what you are doing wrong, I think i know but cant explain it to you. Im not smart like that. BUT Ram is.

He helped me be able to do THIS yesterday!@

Screen_200401_052742.thumb.jpg.0b7bd54fbb48f5c365724f5c28ad693d.jpg

Hey Hinkel, firstly I’m no expert, just enjoy the F16 and spent a lot of time in it recently.

Just to clarify are you getting a picture on the TGP after a ground started mission or not? The cheek mount has to be powered where the TGP is and by default on a ground start the switch is off. Maybe you know this but I’ve got to start with the basics so I can figure out things you may/may not be doing?

• ED Team

Dear all,

Regarding the Viper targeting pod, our engineer assigned to targeting pods (also flight models) is currently focused on the Hornet targeting pod in order to add other elements like laser range, freeze, gray scale, adjust declutter, enable reticle toggle, attitude indicator, automatic level and gain controls, correct some of the reticles, INR tracking, offset cursor, new HOTAS functions, and the air-to-air mode.

Once that is done, then he can return to the Viper targeting pod and add such features as new HOTAS commands, NAV mode functions, offset designations, snowplow mode, cursor zero, steering cue, auto focus, gray scale, azimuth angle, laser range, and laser code.

Kind regards,

Wags

Dear all,

Regarding the Viper targeting pod, our engineer assigned to targeting pods (also flight models) is currently focused on the Hornet targeting pod in order to add other elements like laser range, freeze, gray scale, adjust declutter, enable reticle toggle, attitude indicator, automatic level and gain controls, correct some of the reticles, INR tracking, offset cursor, new HOTAS functions, and the air-to-air mode.

Once that is done, then he can return to the Viper targeting pod and add such features as new HOTAS commands, NAV mode functions, offset designations, snowplow mode, cursor zero, steering cue, auto focus, gray scale, azimuth angle, laser range, and laser code.

Kind regards,

Wags

I noticed that you haven't mentioned coordinates in TGP screen. Does that mean that's not coming soon? Thanks.

Stay safe

Dear all,

Kind regards,

Wags

Thanks Wags for the update. I am personally happy that the Hornet is getting some love. It has been around for longer after all.

One question though. Is it possible to squeeze in a fix to Waypoint slaving of the Viper TGP? Thanks!