Scripting Keystrokes at Mission Start?

WytchCrypt

Hi all,

I have several keyboard commands I press at the beginning of each mission. For example when flying the Su33, I always start a mission with "LShft F10 NumEnt Num5". I noticed in the ME I could write a lua script that is attached to waypoint 0 by selecting "Advanced Waypoint Actions" and choosing "Perform Command" - "Run Script".

Is it possible to write a script that handles my startup keyboard commands so I don't have to manually do them at the start of each mission?

I've been researching lua scripting and can't seem to find anything that shows how to do this...and many topics that say it isn't possible. I figured this forum was the best place to ask and if anyone had figured out how to do this, I would find them here :smilewink:

Thanks!

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

• 9 months later...
Hi all,

Is it possible to write a script that handles my startup keyboard commands so I don't have to manually do them at the start of each mission?

Hi WytchCrypt,

DId you finaly find a way to make it happen?

I'm looking for a way to open the canpoy of the F15c automaticaly, and I though "Ctrl+C" kwystroke can be an option, but I can't find a way to send a keystroke in any way...

I'm looking for a way to open the canpoy of the F15c automaticaly, and I though "Ctrl+C" kwystroke can be an option, but I can't find a way to send a keystroke in any way...

The F-15 cold starts with the canopy open, so I assume that you are actually doing a hot start, but without its closed canopy.

You can do that using cockpit initialization triggers, like these:

2TBO4PZ.jpg

I edited a small sample mission for you.

F15C - Setup sample (by Rudel_chw).miz

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you man!

I didn't expect such a quick and complete answer...

That works great. Just as I needed.

I'm making a mission that simulates the case of a canopy flies off of f15 with the the original radio voices.

Just need to sync the tranlation..

BTW - where can I find a list of all commands available?

BTW - where can I find a list of all commands available?

You need to edit the file:

\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\MissionEditor\MissionEditor.lua

Change the highlighted line so that its value is TRUE

CDtXpou.jpg

Then, you just go onto the Options -> Controls for the aircraft you are interested in, and once you locate the command that does what you need, just hover the mouse over it and on the tooltip you get the info.

For example, for the RWR command of the JF-17, the screen looks like this:

gvHA4z8.jpg

:thumbup:

• Thanks 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Then, you just go onto the Options -> Controls for the aircraft you are interested in, and once you locate the command that does what you need, just hover the mouse over it and on the tooltip you get the info.

Whoa! That's huge! Awesome info! Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi WytchCrypt,

DId you finaly find a way to make it happen?

I did, but it's dependent on my flight controller. I'm using a CH Products Eclipse and I assigned a button that I press to start a mission. That button is programmed through the Eclipse to enter a series of keystrokes representing commands that I want to execute at the start of each mission.

I like the option that Rudel_chw just explained and will also give that one a try :thumbup:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

I personally use VoiceAttack for things like this. Works on every map, mission, and can be used for every plane with keybinds. The macros I set up range from fine tuning a couple switches after a start, all the way to 100% tailored autostart sequences.

• Like 2

You need to edit the file:

\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\MissionEditor\MissionEditor.lua

Change the highlighted line so that its value is TRUE

CDtXpou.jpg

gvHA4z8.jpg

Thanks man! You rock!

So, this is the result...

If you interested to try the 5 minutes experience of F15's canopy dislodge - try this:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312211/

Any comment or feedback is appreciated.

Seems really an interesting and unusual mission, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Edit: Just found that you deleted the mission before I was able to download it :noexpression: what happened?

Edited by Rudel_chw

• 2 weeks later...
Seems really an interesting and unusual mission, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Edit: Just found that you deleted the mission before I was able to download it :noexpression: what happened?

What happened is that I'm an idiot...

I completed the mission and uploaded it.

Then I wanted to add something to the mission (not even remember what it was) - But I've ecxidently rewrote the mission file with an empty mission (with nothing but the screenshots).

I even uploaded the broken mission to the file section,

I have no backup... so there you go... I lost everything.

I will gather my self up and will make it again sometime...

Sorry guys.

I have no backup... so there you go... I lost everything.

Sorry to hear that .. it has happened to all of us at some point.

I once lost a mission because of a bad edit I did and since then I store the mission folder on my cloud drive (using a hardlink so that DCS believes that the folder is on my Saved Games path, but it's actually on the cloud).

The Cloud drive has versioning support, so I can backtrack a mission to whatever point in time I need .. it looks like this on my spanish windows:

4rw8F9d.jpg

Best regards

I personally use VoiceAttack for things like this. Works on every map, mission, and can be used for every plane with keybinds. The macros I set up range from fine tuning a couple switches after a start, all the way to 100% tailored autostart sequences.

This is also my go-to for stuff like that. This works fantastically.

Especially in helos that have a crew. It's more natural to tell my copilot to turn off the lights than for one guy to jump from seat to seat, and turn every knob and push every single button in the helicopter.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to point out that besides being able to toggle on/off switches using the MISSION START trigger and X:Set Command Action(), you can also control rotary knobs like cockpit light dimmers!

For example, changing line 4 of DCS/MissionEditor/MissionEditor.lua from false to true and viewing the tooltip popups on the Options->Control screen as described by Rudel_chw earlier in the thread allowed me to find that the F18 Console Light Dimmer was cockpit id 9, button press 3010. To change this dimmer rotary knob I added a MISSION START Trigger which executes the command: X: cockpit perform clickable action (9,3010,1,"") (note the "1" means move the knob +1 increment). I figured that the command would need to be repeated many times to move the dimmer knob throughout it's range of motion. Turns out it takes about 36 increments to turn the knob from completely off to completely on so I just repeat the command 36 times. Turning one of these cockpit light dimmer knobs halfway up requires repeating the command about 18 times. I'm also using the MISSION START trigger to setup my LDDI and RDDI the way I like by finding the codes for pushing the required LDDI & RDDI PB (push buttons) and also executing them with the X: cockpit perform clickable action() command.

Now I'm able to begin every mission with my F18 configured just the way I like :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to point out that besides being able to toggle on/off switches using the MISSION START trigger and X:Set Command Action(), you can also control rotary knobs like cockpit light dimmers!

Now I'm able to begin every mission with my F18 configured just the way I like :thumbup:

:thumbup: I do the same, on almost every one of my current missions. For example this is my setup for the Skyhawk when starting in-air:

22lrhlg.jpg

Pity that the trigger screen does not allow comments, but I set up things like external lights, internal lighting, enabling the autopilot so that the aircraft is stable when just starting the mission, etc.

Best regards

Pity that the trigger screen does not allow comments, but I set up things like external lights, internal lighting, enabling the autopilot so that the aircraft is stable when just starting the mission, etc.

Best regards

Agreed! Thanks for documenting your work on this topic, I was originally trying to get my flight controller to send all these commands with what I called a "Mission Start" button, but this is a much more elegant solution :thumbup:

I also try to use descriptive titles for my triggers and have a simple notepad file I wrote up with details on each startup trigger and what codes it requires (actually I write up my own procedures for everything I do in DCS so if I'm away for a few months I can pick up where I left off, but that's another story). The fanciest thing I do with startup triggers is enabling the AUTO waypoint mode on my left DDI at the start of the mission. It requires a simple, "X: cockpit perform clickable action (35,3026,1,"")". Unfortunately, you can't turn it on if the plane is at a complete stop so a MISSION START trigger does nothing. To handle that case I use a SWITCHED CONDITION -> Units Speed Higher Than 50kts...when my Hornet crosses 50kts the AUTO is caged. OTOH, if the plane begins the mission in the air the SWITCHED CONDITION is ignored so a MISSION START trigger does work. I just run the MISSION START command first which works if the plane is already in the air, then follow it with a SWITCH CONDITION command which enables AUTO when taking off but is ignored if already in the air :smilewink:

Thankyou to WytchCrypt and Grimes for pointing me in the direction of this thread, but I must be stupid or doing something wrong because I can't get this to work.

This, I think, should set the F18 Flaps to 'Down'. In the Controls for the F18 that shows as Command 2, 3007 to toggle the flaps down (or I could run Command 3017 twice to move the switch down twice from Auto to Half and then to Full). I've tried both variations but neither works.

I've also tried setting a Trigger Zone to do it, and that doesn't work either. Can someone see what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

conditions.png.77d2ed0803536a6ed7cec84679861c13.png

OK made some progress: I can get the Hook to drop using 5, 3009, 0.1 (instead of 1 as the value). So, good.

Can't get the Flaps to move at all, presumably because the code is the same for multiple actions, i.e 3007 is used for Flaps Auto, Flap Full and Flap Half, and 3017 is used for Flap Cycle, Flap Down and Flap Up. Have tried several permutations but no joy as yet...

OK, so I figured it out. Hadn't realised you could apply negative values too.

So, in case anyone stumbles across this in future...

2 is Flaps on the F18

3007 is all three of Auto/Full/Half

0 sets the Flaps at Half

1 sets the Flaps at Auto (positive, hence up on the switch I presume)

-1 sets the Flaps at Full (negative, hence down the switch)

So the parameter X: COCKPIT PERFORM CLICKABLE ACTION (2, 3007, -1) will start the mission with the F18 flaps fully deployed, and (2, 3007, 1) would start the mission with the flaps in Auto mode

• Like 1

OK, so I figured it out. Hadn't realised you could apply negative values too.

2 is Flaps on the F18

3007 is all three of Auto/Full/Half

Hi,

Glad that you found the answer yourself, and thanks for sharing the solution with us. :thumbup:

Just wanted to add that the "2" is the Device ID. For the Hornet, the available devices are on the file \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\devices.lua:

-------DEVICE ID-------
devices = {}
-- do not change following sequence for sim
devices["FM_PROXY"] = counter()--1
devices["CONTROL_INTERFACE"] = counter()--2
devices["ELEC_INTERFACE"] = counter()--3
devices["HYDRAULIC_INTERFACE"] = counter()--4
devices["GEAR_INTERFACE"] = counter()--5
devices["FUEL_INTERFACE"] = counter()--6
devices["CPT_MECHANICS"] = counter()--7 -- Integral device for various mechanical systems like canopy, etc
devices["EXT_LIGHTS"] = counter()--8 -- External Lighting
devices["CPT_LIGTHS"] = counter()--9 -- Cockpit Lighting
devices["OXYGEN_INTERFACE"] = counter()--10 -- Cockpit interface to OBOGS
devices["ECS_INTERFACE"] = counter()--11 -- Environmental Control System
devices["ENGINES_INTERFACE"] = counter()--12 -- Cockpit interface to aircraft engines
-- HOTAS Interface
devices["HOTAS"] = counter()--13 -- Stick and throttle grips
-- Computers -----------------------------
devices["MUX"] = counter()--14 -- Multiplex manager, holds channels and manages remote terminals addition/remove
devices["SDC"] = counter()--15 -- Signal Data Computer (part of FIRAMS)
devices["MISSION_COMPUTER_NO_1"] = counter()--16 -- AN/AYK-14, Mission Computer No 1
devices["MISSION_COMPUTER_NO_2"] = counter()--17 -- AN/AYK-14, Mission Computer No 2
devices["FCCA"] = counter()--18 -- Flight Control Computer A
devices["FCCB"] = counter()--19 -- Flight Control Computer B
devices["ADC"] = counter()--20 -- Air Data Computer - CPO-1334/A
devices["ARMAMENT_COMPUTER"] = counter()--21 -- Armament Computer - AYK-22
devices["CONTROL_CONVERTER"] = counter()--22 -- Control-Converter - C-10382/A
devices["SMS"] = counter()--23 -- Stores Management System, Armament Computer - CP-2218/AYK-22(V)
devices["DIGITAL_MAP_COMPUTER"] = counter()--24 -- Digital Map Computer - CP-1802/ASQ-196
devices["UFC"] = counter()--25 -- Electronic Equipment Control (UFC) - C-10380/ASQ
-- Instruments --------------------------
devices["AAU52"] = counter()--26 -- Standby Pressure Altimeter - AAU-52/A
devices["AVU35"] = counter()--27 -- Indicated Airspeed Indicator - AVU-35/A
devices["AVU53"] = counter()--28 -- Vertical Speed Indicator - AVU-53/A
devices["STANDBY_COMPASS"] = counter()--29 -- Standby Compass - AQU-3/A
devices["ID2163A"] = counter()--30 -- Radar Altimeter Height Indicator - ID-2163/A
devices["RADAR_ALTIMETER"] = counter()--31 -- Radar Altimeter - APN-194(V)
devices["SAI"] = counter()--32 -- Standby Attitude Indicator - ARU-48
-- FIRAMS --------------------------
devices["IFEI"] = counter()--33 -- Integrated Fuel/Engine Indicator (IFEI)
-- Multipurpose Display Group
devices["HUD"] = counter()--34 -- Head-Up Display - AVQ-32
devices["MDI_LEFT"] = counter()--35 -- Left Multipurpose Display Indicator (DDI) - IP-1556/A
devices["MDI_RIGHT"] = counter()--36 -- Right Multipurpose Display Indicator (DDI) - IP-1556/A
devices["AMPCD"] = counter()--37 -- Advanced Multipurpose Color Display - ???
-- Radio & Comm
devices["UHF1"] = counter()--38 -- VHF/UHF Receiver-Transmitter - ARC 210
devices["UHF2"] = counter()--39 -- VHF/UHF Receiver-Transmitter - ARC 210 DCS
devices["INTERCOM"] = counter()--40 -- Intercommunication Amplifier-Control - AM-7360/A
devices["KY58"] = counter()--41 -- KY-58 Secure Speech System
-- Sensors
devices["RADAR"] = counter()--42 -- Radar - AN/APG-73, interfaced to the rest of avionic system via the Radar Data Processor CP-2062/APG-73
devices["FLIR"] = counter()--43 -- Forward Looking Infrared Pod interface
-- INS/GPS
devices["INS"] = counter()--44 -- INS, AN/ASN-139
devices["GPS"] = counter()--45 -- GPS, AN/ASN-163
devices["MAD"] = counter()--46 -- Magnetic Azimuth Detector, DT-604/A
-- Armament
devices["SIDEWINDER_INTERFACE"] = counter()--47
devices["MAVERICK_INTERFACE"] = counter()--48
-- RNAV
devices["ADF"] = counter()--49 -- Direction Finder OA-8697/ARD
devices["ANTENNA_SELECTOR"] = counter()--50
devices["MIDS"] = counter()--51 -- MIDS-LVT (implements Link 16 and TACAN)
devices["ILS"] = counter()--52 -- AN/ARA-63D, airborne segment of US NAVY ACLS, and US Marines MRAALS
-- TEWS
devices["RWR"] = counter()--53 -- AN/ALR-67(V)
devices["CMDS"] = counter()--54 -- Countermeasures dispenser system
--
devices["MACROS"] = counter()--55
-- IFF
devices["IFF"] = counter()--56 -- IFF, AN/APX-111(V) CIT
-- Helmet
devices["HELMET"] = counter()--57
devices["HMD_INTERFACE"] = counter()--58
-- MIDS parts
devices["MIDS_RT"] = counter()--59
--
devices["CLC"] = counter()--60 -- Command Launch Computer
devices["HARM_INTERFACE"] = counter()--61
devices["TGP_INTERFACE"] = counter()--62
devices["WALLEYE_INTERFACE"] = counter()--63
devices["DATALINK_INTERFACE"] = counter()--64
devices["SLAM_INTERFACE"] = counter()--65

You see that device 2 is "CONTROL_INTERFACE"

If you look for the Flaps on the clickabledata.lua file, you will find that it is the pnt_234 switch and its definition is:

elements["pnt_234"]        = default_3_position_tumb(_("FLAP Switch, AUTO/HALF/FULL"),            devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, ctrl_commands.FlapSw,        234)

and the device is the same "CONTROL_INTERFACE" :smartass:

Best regards,

Eduardo

• Thanks 2

Also to add ...F18 Low Altitude is adjusted not by 3001, for which +1 clicks the button and -1 does nothing, but by action 3002 where -1 moves the switch anti-clockwise and +1 moves it clockwise.

So:

30/3002/-1 drops the Low Altitude by one notch on each action.

Thanks once again to all for pointing me in the direction of this thread.

• 4 months later...

Do the "pnt_234" (f.ex.) in clickabledata.lua have no function when it comes to setting up a X: COCKPIT PERFORM CLICKABLE ACTION-trigger?

I've read a couple of places that adding "3" in front of the pnt_-number (f.ex. 3234) gives you the COMMAND-number you want for a given switch to use when setting up a trigger.

To me, this does not seem to be the case. Or, there is a difference between airplanes. Most of the examples I've read have been with the Mirage (for some reason)

On 11/9/2020 at 10:48 AM, orcrist said:

I'm reading this in the future XD

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

11 minutes ago, TimRobertsen said:

Do the "pnt_234" (f.ex.) in clickabledata.lua have no function when it comes to setting up a X: COCKPIT PERFORM CLICKABLE ACTION-trigger?

No, the PNT_xxx are used only to highlight controls. For performing clickable actions you use the device ID and command 3xxx code.

I've read a couple of places that adding "3" in front of the pnt_-number (f.ex. 3234) gives you the COMMAND-number you want for a given switch to use when setting up a trigger.

I've never seen that .. what I know about this subject was read on the "Cockpit Triggers Guide"  .. I'm attaching it to this post.

Or, there is a difference between airplanes.

Every aircraft has its own individual cockpit commands.

Cockpit Triggers.pdf

Edited by Rudel_chw

11 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

It seems that all the different articles I've been reading on this subject have not been applicable to setting up triggers in the F/A-18.

For ex. this one: http://volatusvirtualis.blogspot.com/2019/09/dcs-advanced-mission-editor-concepts.html

In the Mirage there is apparently a correspondence between the "COMMAND" and the "PTN_XXX"-number in the clickabledata.lua. This does not seem to be the case with the F/A-18. As you point out: you have to get the command from the Options-Controls-page.

Also, there is a difference between what is described in the "Cockpit Triggers"-doc and the F/A-18s Clickabledata.lua.

using the argument “device_commands.Button_n” (where ‘n’ is the command value of interest)

F/A-18s Clickabledata.lua does not have “device_commands.Button_n”. It simply gives you an "element-number", which seems to not be usefull for the "COMMAND".

No wonder I was confused.

So, all in all: My bad! I assumed that the method for finding the correct "COMMAND" would be the same between aircrafts, which was not the case.

First become an aviator, then become a terminator