TM TPR vs Slaw Viper RX V2 vs Virpil ACE-2

I'm on the hunt for some higher end rudder pedals to use with DCS and IL-2. I want to have the kind of pedals where you normally have your heels on the floor and move your feet up to use the toe brakes. I'm mostly used to that kind of pedals from the airliner and heli full flight sims I work with.

So far I have three candidates, TM TPR Pedals, Virpil ACE-2 and Slaw Device Viper RX2.

Anyone members here that have these and would care to comment on what theyr'e like to fly with? smile.gif

I saw a couple of threads from back in 2017 that compared the Slaw and Baur designs at that time which was very interesting. But I'm interested in the new versions that have come out since then as well as the addition of the TM TPR.

With the TPRs I'm mostly concerned with the fact that they doesn't have a cam which I imagine would make the center detent wuite noticable.

As a curiosity I got some rudder pedal pics from a buddy who have made SAAB Draken and Viggen simpits based on real cockpits.

The Draken pedals look very similar in the mechanical design to the TPRs while the Viggen pedals remind me a lot of the Virpil design. smile.gif

Draken-pedaler.jpg.32ef1867af63d0639d4ec4ca462820e5.jpg

Viggen-pedaler.thumb.jpg.894efc589e7c52ee3c993920033c27de.jpg

With the TPRs I'm mostly concerned with the fact that they doesn't have a cam which I imagine would make the center detent wuite noticable.

i thought so too, but it’s not bad at all. For a caliper type centering mechanism it’s surprisingly smooth.

I did add a damper to my TPRs and that made them feel just as good as my earlier Slaw RX and BRD F2 pedals.

I like the pendulum movement of the TPR. The brakes are a bit on the light side, so I added a spring. Thinking of adding RC car dampers to the brakes, but I’m not sure about the best way to do that.

Here’s a thread you might find interesting.

Edited by Goblin

About comparison to real aircraft pedals.

Some aircraft have hanging pedals, like the TPR. Some have the parallelogram configuration of the Crosswind and Slaws and some are just a pin on a pivot :)

There are many variations.

As for center play and position, this can also be quite prominent in real aircraft. The one I fly has a very noticable center position and wiggle a bit in the middle.

Slaw, BRD, MFG, TPR... All very good pedals.

If I would give one advice it would be to add a damper. It helps a lot with the precision as your legs are quite strong and perhaps not used to do precision work ;)

I have my Slaw Viper RX with hydraulic damper installed. They both beautiful and functional. Regarding functionality, my imagination is too weak to think of something they they lack. But you NEED to bolt them to something, just putting them on the floor will NOT work.

I bought the TPR pedals and they were very smooth. I tried to like them but in the end I sold them. I can't put my finger on it but they didn't feel right to me. Maybe my sitting position was wrong for them but I can't change that.

Don't let my experience sway your decision. It's just my experience.

Buzz

Yea, the TPR don’t feel great sitting upright at a desk. They’re more of a cockpit pedal set. Your chair has to be low for them to feel right. I love mine because coming from General Aviation I’m a heels on the floor flyer, but I have a self fabricobbled dedicated rig, I wouldn’t want to use these with an office chair.