Wake Turbulence causes big performance drop in missions with many big aircraft

Sporg

As title says:

If Wake turbulence is on, performance may drop significantly (down to unplayable) if there are many big aircraft in the mission.

I got the suggestion from another user when complaining about the "Bomber Intercept" mission that comes with FW 190 A-8.

The FPS would drop to near single digits when the bomber formation came near.

Switching off wake turbulence fixed the problem immediately.

Since then I have seen the problem and the fix confirmed other places as well, also in other types of missions with many big aircraft.

Thread here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242955

(It says "Can't Reproduce" but I think moderators/devs should test again, now that the culprit is found.)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

• 1 year later...

I can comfirm.

Turn on the wake turbulences. Then load E.G. the bomber intercept fast mission for FW-190A8. Fly into swarm of B-17s and stay there for a minute. The frame will drop to very low values. Probably caused by CPU bottleneck which has probably problem to calculate ineractions of turbulences for such big swarm of units.

Now try the same thing with wake turbulences set to off. No FPS drop at all.

My system:

MB: MSI Z170A gaming M5, running in UEFI mode

CPU: Core I7, 6700K

RAM: Kingstom HyperX Fury DDR4 64GB (kit 4x16GB) 2400mhz CL15 with cooler

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Gaming X 8G

SSD: Samsung NVMe SM951 512GB

HDD: Segate BarraCuda 3,5" 7200RPM, 2TB

OS: Windows 10, version 20H2 (build 19042.685),  installed to SSD.

Game installed to SSD in directory "C:\DCS World\"

Edited by AJaromir

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Was there ever a ED-dev who tested things before releasing it to the public? Just asking, because with the 2.7 update it once again seems more bugs than features have been implemented... and some nice looking clouds for sure...

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

A lot of 2.7 bugs don't affect everyone. That's what open beta is for. Checking if something that's working for 80 people is woring for a lot more people.

Tracks are essential to ED devs, ED testers, and non-ED testers like myself. They allow us to know very quickly which kind of bug it is:

• 100% reporoducible? Devs can work on it right away, if the bug is given a high priority of course. Let's inform them.
  • Only some users can reproduce it? Let's try and find commonalities between these users first. Settings? Old files? Broken DCS? Owners of more than 8 devices? All AMD gfx users ? Until we can either reproduce the bug, or simply solve a user issue.

Testers have a lot of things to look at. When facing two threads showing different bugs, one of them with a track attached, guess which bug will be checked first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

12 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Testers have a lot of things to look at. When facing two threads showing different bugs, one of them with a track attached, guess which bug will be checked first.

Let’s hope more people read your post .. I’m so tired of people whining about a bug while at the same time providing no data to help locate the bug: no log, no MIZ file, no Track ... they seem to think that just their rant is enough. It isn't.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

About the original topic, I don't think there's anything to "look into" or "fix" anyway. I believe It's the first time in the history of flight sims there was an attempt to simulate wingtip-vortices related effects in real time (and not some scripted way, like in Il-2 series, even though scripted turbulence can be immersive as well). Seeing how CFD airflow simulations run in a company I work for (ie. a couple of minutes of waiting for one frame with calculations solution even on powerful workstations), I'm surpised we've got such effects working in DCS even with two or three aircraft in the air, let alone with any higher number of them.

I don't expect playable fps in big formations, not with current gen CPUs at least, and not until DCS becomes rewritten for multicore CPUs.

Edited by Art-J
  • Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

2 minutes ago, Art-J said:

About the original topic, I don't think there's anything to "look into" or "fix" anyway. I believe It's the first time in the history of flight sims there was an attempt to simulate wingtip-vortices related effects in real time (and not some scripted way, like in Il-2 series, even though scripted turbulence can be immersive as well). Seeing how CFD airflow simulations run in a company I work for (ie. a couple of minutes of waiting for one frame with calculations solution even on powerful workstations), I'm surpised we've got such effects working in DCS even with two or three aircraft in the air, let alone with any higher number of them.

I don't expect playable fps in big formations, not with current gen CPUs at least, and not until DCS becomes rewritten for multicore CPUs.

This!

The amount of calculations coming with wake turbulences is gigantic. I don't know, if those calculations are made on the gpu or cpu (proper multicore-implementation may help), but I'm pretty sure, it's not a "classic" bug but a performance issue.

I've read and seen the advice to deactivate wake turbulances as a performance tweak more than once.

I DON'T suggest that this isn't a topic for ED to look into in further developement, though!

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, AJaromir said:

Which track do you mean? Do I have to post video in youtube again? It is 12 hours of work to make it. Checking this issue internally will take less than 15 minutes.

.trk file. In debriefing you need to select save track. 

Edited by Alpiinoo

alpiinoo_signature.png.92e62da0731ec62ed4f4cd1e7f958385-removebg-preview.png