Multiple targets in a single pass by the IR Maverick?

Papacharly

No, you have to either designate a new target, slave and fire or fire on the first target and then manually control the seeker of the second missile etc. If you're quick enough, you can pop two missiles safely.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I don't know how Navy doctrine handled this, but I don't think I've ever seen a legacy Hornet loaded with more than a single Maverick, and usually it's a Laser Mav.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

It's because the Maverick needs a solid contrast lock on the target. Being far away to assign multiple targets would move you out of the range of the seeker and leave the option of using fixed coordinates. Operating by coordinates only and uncaging the seeker right before launch would mean that the seeker could lock whatever is around the target point, which is not ideal, to say the least. One of the points of the Maverick F is to offer the pilot a way to verify the target before launch. It also uses the target as a reference point for missile flight and course corrections, this is the way the missile is guided. Not having a visually locked target and relying on coordinates only would mean that the missile would miss if the target moved.

If you want a weapon that enables multiple releases per pass, on several fixed targets, at a greater range, use the JDAM. Much cheaper.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

I think this feature would be very beneficial, even in real life. Is there any good reason why this is not possible? Or is it just a stupid idea of me?

I'm not sure how that would really work and what benefit it would have. If you're close enough for the Maverick seeker head to lock a target, you're in range to fire the missile. Why would I get a target locked with a missile and then step to another one without firing? It's far easier to lock a target, fire, and then lock the next target and fire. If the targets are close, it's usually pretty easy to get off 2 missiles in one pass. 4 at a time is pretty challenging since the range is pretty short.

With the A-10C you can use the TGP to search for targets and assign mark points to them from long distance (~25nm). You then roll in with Mavs and can fire up to 6 mavericks in quick succession on 6 different targets by cycling through the mark points and slave the Maverick to them. Will that be possible with the Hornet once we get mark points implemented?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

With the A-10C you can use the TGP to search for targets and assign mark points to them from long distance (~25nm). You then roll in with Mavs and can fire up to 6 mavericks in quick succession on 6 different targets by cycling through the mark points and slave the Maverick to them. Will that be possible with the Hornet once we get mark points implemented?

I guess it's quite possible. I don't know how the markpoint system works in the Hornet, but I think you can use them as target points. Still, you'd have to manually switch targets and designate with the AMPCD, since the F-18 doesn't have the HOTAS functionality that the A-10C has, so it'll be slower. Anyway, it's not bad right now, you can safely release two missiles and come back for a second pass, if you have more. The Hornet is not an A-10C, it won't take you 10 minutes to do that.

-

Still, you'd have to manually switch targets and designate with the AMPCD, since the F-18 doesn't have the HOTAS functionality that the A-10C has, so it'll be slower.

Good point. The Hornet's HOTAS functionality is quite disappointing if you're used to the A-10C, but it is what it is.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Good point. The Hornet's HOTAS functionality is quite disappointing if you're used to the A-10C, but it is what it is.

Yeah, you have the USN or the M-D/Boeing to thank for that, pick one. We still have some useful HOTAS commands that aren't in the sim yet, but it won't be anything like the Warthog or the F-16.

-

My technique is to come in from fairly high and a long way out so that your dive is no more than about 25 degrees max, 15 to 20 is better. Have the A/P (auto-pilot) page up on the UFC, nose down so that the center of the HUD where the Maverick seeker defaults to is on / near the target, put the engines at idol to have more time, hit the ATTH (attitude hold button on the UFC) so that you don't have to fly the jet for a bit and can concentrate on the Mav seeker in the MFD, Rifle the first Maverick, slew and Rifle the second and so on. Pull the paddle switch to disengage auto-pilot and throttle up and get out of dodge. I can easily get 2 off in a pass, 4 is possible but it can get dodgy. It's safer to just Rifle 2 and make one more pass before you're Winchester A/G and RTB. The closer the targets are to one another, the easier it is to slew to the next target. Also when you nose down it may be easier to center the HUD on your second target so that once you rifle the first missile it will be easier to find and lock the second target. You always have more time to find your first target and get a lock.

Edited by Banman

i7-8700K (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 4.6GHz) 32 GB DDR4 XMP @ 2933MHz, GTX 1080Ti w/ 11GB GDDR5X, Windows 10 Pro, 256GB SSD, TM Warthog Stick & Throttle, TM TPR Pedals, TrackIR5

My technique is to come in from fairly high and a long way out so that your dive is no more than about 25 degrees max, 15 to 20 is better. Have the A/P (auto-pilot) page up on the UFC, nose down so that the center of the HUD where the Maverick seeker defaults to is on / near the target, put the engines at idol to have more time, hit the ATTH (attitude hold button on the UFC) so that you don't have to fly the jet for a bit and can concentrate on the Mav seeker in the MFD, Rifle the first Maverick, slew and Rifle the second and so on. Pull the paddle switch to disengage auto-pilot and throttle up and get out of dodge. I can easily get 2 off in a pass, 4 is possible but it can get dodgy. It's safer to just Rifle 2 and make one more pass before you're Winchester A/G and RTB. The closer the targets are to one another, the easier it is to slew to the next target. Also when you nose down it may be easier to center the HUD on your second target so that once you rifle the first missile it will be easier to find and lock the second target. You always have more time to find your first target and get a lock.

Excellent explanation. I was able to riffle 4 mavs with the TGP in the Harrier but now I’m looking like an idiot.

Can you tell how to designate the target with the TGP, then pass that lock to a maverick IR and fire it? Step by step please like this:

TDC movement is not checked as real in the options.

1) TGP IS ON and in the right DDI. SOI

2) target is located and the TDC is pressed down.

3) IR MAV page is on the left DDI (mav is caged), SOI.

4) uncage the The MAV and seeker head move over the intended target.

And now the cross is moving all over with the most little plane movement? How do I lock the cross over the target?

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

My explanation is for using the seeker in the Maverick. I don't even fly with a TGP if I am bringing 4 Mavericks. Station 5 would have either a drop tank or MK82 x 2.

i7-8700K (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 4.6GHz) 32 GB DDR4 XMP @ 2933MHz, GTX 1080Ti w/ 11GB GDDR5X, Windows 10 Pro, 256GB SSD, TM Warthog Stick & Throttle, TM TPR Pedals, TrackIR5

Excellent explanation. I was able to riffle 4 mavs with the TGP in the Harrier but now I’m looking like an idiot.

Can you tell how to designate the target with the TGP, then pass that lock to a maverick IR and fire it? Step by step please like this:

TDC movement is not checked as real in the options.

1) TGP IS ON and in the right DDI. SOI

2) target is located and the TDC is pressed down.

3) IR MAV page is on the left DDI (mav is caged), SOI.

4) uncage the The MAV and seeker head move over the intended target.

And now the cross is moving all over with the most little plane movement? How do I lock the cross over the target?

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

If you undesignate the target with the NWS button on the stick, the Maverick seeker will select a target and remain locked. Just verify that it's the one you're aiming for and fire. Unless you need to manually correct the target or cage and uncage the missile a second time, you don't need to make the IMAV page SOI, since a caged missile will uncage automatically upon a new target designation.

So it'd be like:

1) TGP SOI.

2) Locate target and depress the TDC to set up a target point.

2i) The AGM-65F seeker uncages automatically and is slaved to the target point, where it continously switches between locked and unlocked state. *

3) (Optional) Press the FLIR FOV button to zoom in the Maverick seeker view.

4) Undesignate the target with NWS. Since the IMAV seeker is no longer slaved to a target point and is uncaged, it's free to lock on whatever it sees (hopefully the target).

6) On the IMAV page, verify that the seeker has indeed locked on the intended target.

6i) If not, IMAV page SOI and you slew the seeker manually.

7) Fire

*This behavior might be WIP, we'll have to see what ED says. It has to do with which sensor takes priority; right now, seems like the system can't decide whether the missile seeker or the target point takes priority. Having to undesignate the target in order to get the missile to get a solid lock seems counterintuitive, but it's the only way right now. Anyway, that's a theoretical discussion at this point. For now, the above list works with the current implementation of the relevant systems.

-

I think this feature would be very beneficial, even in real life. Is there any good reason why this is not possible? Or is it just a stupid idea of me?

IIRC the later F16 variants have this feature and can fire up to two mavericks with the use of the TGP

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

Simply put: the A10 is a hammer. The F18 is a scalpel.

The primary role of the A10 was the destruction of soviet mass tank forces. Hence the amount of ATGM capability. The upgrade © made the aircraft more deadly in this role while the F18s role is the destuction of enemy aircraft first and any A/G is secondary.

The mission package with the navy/marines requires that the AC gets there and gets out fast.

The Airfoce likes to linger :)

When the IR mavs were first implemented by ED on the Hornet the next mav would automatically slave to where the previous mav was looking , which made getting off 4 mavs in one pass easy. But it wasn't realistic so in subsequent patches the next mav is caged and you have to slew it , I find it easy to use the TGP and TDC press for each new mav gets the seeker into the previous are yo were looking at , but you have to TDC depress with TGP as SOI for each new mav for it's seeker head to go where the TGP is looking . Then have to SOI back to mav, undesignated , slew and lock up target , kind of a pain but do-able. I like the other method above with going into 25 deg dive get your seeker carrot close to targets and att hold on AP , then you r next mav seeker is in the general area after previous is launched ….

What happens when the JHMS gets implemented? Can you look at the area and designate the target for maverick? Or is it just for a TGP designation, like you would sleeve it around by you anyways?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

As I understand it. No slave function with the JHMS. Just the HUD, TGP and eventually A/G radar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

What happens when the JHMS gets implemented? Can you look at the area and designate the target for maverick? Or is it just for a TGP designation, like you would sleeve it around by you anyways?

You should be able to slave the Litening pod to the JHMCS, then you can slave the maverick to the Litening pod's SPI. But no idea if that is how ED will implement it or not. Some things don't go the way of real life...

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria