why f16 does not have a fuel dump switch

dave76

Never understood how that RDAF-mishap actually happened. I mean, from what I could see from the imagery, it looked like the entire drag-brace had broken off the bulkhead it was connected to.

Even for old jets like the ones that the RDAF and RNoAF has, that really shouldn't be something that happens, let alone go unnoticed through preflight and/or maint'.

True...

Haven't found any official report on it.

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't think we will, unless they pull the jet from the sea AND release the findings. Given that it was an operationally flying jet, I doubt they'd release that info.

I read through many of the older mishap-reports we had at Squadron while I served. While interesting, they contained a lot of information that hasn't been pulished.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

..it looked like the entire drag-brace had broken off the bulkhead it was connected to.

Even for old jets like the ones that the RDAF and RNoAF has, that really shouldn't be something that happens, let alone go unnoticed through preflight and/or maint'.

I doubt that a fatigue fracture can be detected during preflight or regular maintenance.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

I doubt that a fatigue fracture can be detected during preflight or regular maintenance.

That would depend highly on quite a number of things, but given that the drag brace of a Viper is are substantial pieces of metal, and that the attachment-point to the bulkhead is a rather beefy piece of metal, it shouldn't be THAT hard to detect even to the naked eye.

Of course, the brace would be held tightly against the attachmentpoint due to the weight of the aircraft itself, and might have broken once the wheel lifted off the ground and it was subjected to the airstream proper. It could also have broken once gear-retraction was commanded.

Without actually fetching the wreckage from the sea and seeing the investigation reports and conclusion, all we can do is speculate.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

well, i discover that the falcon does not have any fuel dump system to reduce landing weight in emergency, differently from ad example the f18......any reason for that?:joystick::joystick:

In case of emergency I would jettison both the external tanks and as much as possible the bunch of freedom and democracy that you carry underneath the wings.

Severe airframe vibrations? That's a new one on me (sounds very T-38ish though). Man, this jet must've been a hangar queen. :lol:

If I have to reduce gross weight prior to landing, there is nothing wrong with using burner and boards. Just keep the airspeed below 300 KCAS with the gear (any of them) down.

Such happened many years ago (1990) above the Netherlands. RNLAF 315 sqd F16 pilot 'Puke' flew back to EHTW after a dogfight training above the north sea. Viper began to shake, pitching up and down, banking left and right. Pretty annoying it was and after 10 minutes of fighting against the angry bird he was forced to eject.

• 7 months later...
I had the opposite question...

Why does the F-18 need a fuel dump button? e.g. when would it be used?

To get down to landing weight when landing on a carrier. Harrier has the same.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Severe airframe vibrations? That's a new one on me (sounds very T-38ish though). Man, this jet must've been a hangar queen. :lol:

If I have to reduce gross weight prior to landing, there is nothing wrong with using burner and boards. Just keep the airspeed below 300 KCAS with the gear (any of them) down.

TOMCATS!

well, i discover that the falcon does not have any fuel dump system to reduce landing weight in emergency...

Sure it does. Burner and boards.

LOL yep that'll dump fuel pretty quick :smilewink:

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

In case of emergency I would jettison both the external tanks and as much as possible the bunch of freedom and democracy that you carry underneath the wings.

Check your procedures, you might want to run the external tanks empty and keep them as cushions depending on what's sour.

Belly landing the F-16 comes to mind..

Because the Viper has no maximum landing weight.

It does, but the maximum takeoff mass doesn't exceed it. So colloquially:

What goes up, you can take down. Immediatly if need be.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Yep pretty much as has been stated - any aircraft, jet fighter or otherwise that has a max landing weight less than max internal fuel takeoff weight requires a fuel dump capability. Everything else such as the Viper is not required to reduce internal fuel weight to reach max landing weight, so not required.

Also even with a dump facility it is usually prudent to reduce weight as much as possible for landing if you have a problem - was standard practice in the P-3 to drop the gear and fly around at max gear speed of 300 knots to reduce weight as fast as possible as it was not possible to dump from the main fuel tanks, just the fuse bag - and if you had already transferred all the fuel out of it into the main ctr tank you couldn't dump anything at all.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You do not put a fuel dump function just because virtual pilots are unable to land a heavy jet 30 years later in a simulation

probably the best answer

imagine being so conditioned by game dev psychology that you start to regard and question the world from the standpoint of video game logic

its honestly an alarming af phenomenon