Is DCS worth it with just a normal hotas?

Hey all,

I'm interested in getting DCS Worlds F18 module and learning it, coming from X-Plane 11s more complex addons.

I have good PC with a Rift S which I built for simming, but only the T16000m FCS Hotas without rudder pedals. I don't want to buy rudder pedals just yet (a bit limited on space) but I know this is an incredibly detailed simulation so, how would I fare with the F18 using the paddle rudder on the throttle + VR? I am guessing it'll still be a good immersive experience?

I'm mainly looking to (eventually) fly the multiplayer coop servers, and blue flag events. I know choppers are a no go, same with WW2 birds and things like the F14.

Thanks

• ED Team

Hi

and welcome to DCS

A T16000m will be fine, not everyone has rudder pedals, you can assign buttons or keys for the rudder without issues.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Why would you not use stick twist for rudder?

i use t16000 stick only. It's more than enough for all aircraft in dcs. Even helicopters are flyable.

Is the switch twist superior to the paddles on the throttle? I thought the paddles would be better as they allow movement independent of the stick.

With modules like F-18 or A-10C you should be able to manage without rudder pedals or with a twist stick. I would suggest to get rudder pedals however if you get interested with some more rudder heavy modules, be it F-14, war-birds or helicopters like Mi-8, Huey.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I use the ti6000 stick and throttle, both the twisty and the paddles operate the rudder. But I use the paddles mostly on takeoff and seldom use much rudder input when flying. Turns are mostly ailerons and elevators with a little rudder to keep the ball centered.

I have a VKBSim stick that has twist for the rudder. It works just fine for FA-18, and P51. Sometimes in an approach where there is an obvious cross wind I wonder if it might be easier to manage w/ pedals. But I don't wonder enough to be bothered w/ the expense to buy pedals.

You'll be fine. There are people that fly on twisties out there.

Yep that’s all I use. A $30 stick I got off eBay. Works great.

I’ve been flying professionally for 20 years and I use FSX/PMDG products to maintain proficiency and prepare for checkrides... along with my $30 joystick. That should tell you what you need to know.

The only reason I’ve been considering upgrading controls is to make weapon system manipulation easier in DCS.

I’m comming from a T16000m setup and I had lots of fun. The throttle has enough buttons for a descend Hotas setup for any plane. The stick itself (not counting the base) is lacking some but you will be more then fine with it.

Beste regards,

Stefan, HereThen

| I7 8700K 4.7 Ghz | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 | Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q | TrackIR5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR | Steelseries Apex PRO | Steelseries Aerox 3 | Steelseries Arctis WL Pro | MonsterTech table clamps |

I started out on an X-52 Pro. You'll do perfectly fine. In fact, you'll only really notice it in rotary-winged offerings. Especially the Huey. So, if helicopters are your poison, may want to grab some matching TM pedals. I'm actually toying with the idea of getting the TM throttle.

Or you could get a single popeye forearm.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Hey all,

I'm interested in getting DCS Worlds F18 module and learning it, coming from X-Plane 11s more complex addons.

I have good PC with a Rift S which I built for simming, but only the T16000m FCS Hotas without rudder pedals. I don't want to buy rudder pedals just yet (a bit limited on space) but I know this is an incredibly detailed simulation so, how would I fare with the F18 using the paddle rudder on the throttle + VR? I am guessing it'll still be a good immersive experience?

I'm mainly looking to (eventually) fly the multiplayer coop servers, and blue flag events. I know choppers are a no go, same with WW2 birds and things like the F14.

Thanks

Not only will you be fine, some actually prefer a simpler setup for DCS. LOTS of players of all kinds of sims prefer to have a rocker/twist/whatever for rudder axis.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

The answer is simple: NO. If you aim higher than just "flying around" you must have proper controls, including rudder pedals and so on. Save the money and go for all of them, you'll thank me later.

Cheers!

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

YES!

In modern aircraft like the F18, you should hardly ever need to use the rudder, so you can get to within a harsbreadth of total control realism without physical pedals.

I fly with a HOTAS Warthog, and I use the keyboard for rudder (well, actually I map it to hotas buttons).

For older aircraft, you may need the rudder more.

For helis though, its tough without some real rudder control.

For this I use a handily-positioned rotary axis which works ok.

So if you want 100% maximum realism, buy rudder pedals, but you absolutely can get into the hardcore sim experience without them.

One thing is for sure though - whether the general consensus is yes or no: go for it anyway.

You will get enough out of it that you can go without rudder pedals.

You will very quickly work out whether or not rudder pedals are essential *for you*.

You can continue to fly until they arrive ;)

But dont *not get into DCS* just because you dont have rudder pedals, that'd be the worst take of all.

Man i fly with a cheap ass Thrustmaster Hotas 4 XBOX thing-a-ma-bob...

Well you can see the modules i have in my signature and i can assure you i can land a mean carrier landing, air to air refuel, can fly any helicopters and the spitfire is no problem.

I have no idea what amazingme is talking about above, for example. Although i would like a full setup of rudders etc i dont really have the space under my desk so a twist grip does me absolutely fine.

The rest just adds immersion i reckon though if you CAN afford it and have space go for it as i will one day for sure!

The answer is simple: NO. If you aim higher than just "flying around" you must have proper controls, including rudder pedals and so on. Save the money and go for all of them, you'll thank me later.

Cheers!

This is not true.

It's quite possible to fly the helicopters (& fight, or land on chimneys and trains) just using the twist grip.

The thing that will catch you out is the number of available buttons and rotaries, not the twist grip.

Cheers.

Man i fly with a cheap ass Thrustmaster Hotas 4 XBOX thing-a-ma-bob...

I didn't know it's possible to AAR with it :thumbup: Had an X before and only after moving to T16000 I could AAR.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I didn't know it's possible to AAR with it :thumbup: Had an X before and only after moving to T16000 I could AAR.

I never said it was easy. Possible in the Hornet and even more so in the Viper, Harrier etc are probably not gonna happen. Prob get the T1600 set with pedals for christmas but will keep ahold of the xbox one for backup, had so many great hours using it cannot complain

In VR you'll want as many things mapped as possible.

I use the throttle pinkey and ring finger buttons as modifier 1 and modifier 2. You can also press both at the same time as a 3rd modifier.

These two buttons are convenient because all your other fingers can still be used for the rest of the buttons. (That is, those two fingers are only used for those two buttons)

This is not true.

It's quite possible to fly the helicopters (& fight, or land on chimneys and trains) just using the twist grip.

The thing that will catch you out is the number of available buttons and rotaries, not the twist grip.

How you hold twist for hours and constantly do small corrections when maneuvering?

I can fly Hind for 30min with TM16K and then my wrist is having pause...

Sure I can fly to avoid use pedals as much as possible, but then I can very well fly a attack aircraft..

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

In VR you'll want as many things mapped as possible.

I use the throttle pinkey and ring finger buttons as modifier 1 and modifier 2. You can also press both at the same time as a 3rd modifier.

These two buttons are convenient because all your other fingers can still be used for the rest of the buttons. (That is, those two fingers are only used for those two buttons)

Or bind only real HOTAS functions. use Oculus Touch Controllers and immersion is greatest....

One can start to value each aircraft only when flying it as it was designed, without cheating by using computer features to bind what where ever.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.