[LATER IN EARLY ACCESS] Still no TPOD indicator in the HUD

Raz_Specter

Can I ask why we still do not have a TPOD indicator in the HUD, yet the Viper has had one from day one? I thought thw whole object of pulling people from the hornet (which IMPO isnt right) was that once done in the Viper it would be easier to implement in the Hornet?

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

The Viper doesn't have a TGP LOS indicator, exactly. What you see is the waypoint indicator being moved around, because it's connected to the TGP's LOS when in AG mode. Apart from that, I agree, we need a TGP LOS indicator in the Hornet ASAP.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

The Viper doesn't have a TGP LOS indicator, exactly. What you see is the waypoint indicator being moved around, because it's connected to the TGP's LOS when in AG mode. Apart from that, I agree, we need a TGP LOS indicator in the Hornet ASAP.

I’m not even sure the Hornet has a dedicated TGP los symbol similar to A10 and Harrier. I’ve certainly never seen one in HUD footage or any manual. My understanding is that the TGP can create and be slaved to a TGT point. This in effect becomes the SPI and indicates TGP LOS. We need slaving, AND the ability to use HUD to move TDC HUD cursor in A/G mode. (Not just auto bombs).

Plus HMCS A/G TGT diamond.....the real game changer.

I’m not even sure the Hornet has a dedicated TGP los symbol similar to A10 and Harrier. I’ve certainly never seen one in HUD footage or any manual. My understanding is that the TGP can create and be slaved to a TGT point. This in effect becomes the SPI and indicates TGP LOS. We need slaving, AND the ability to use HUD to move TDC HUD cursor in A/G mode. (Not just auto bombs).

Plus HMCS A/G TGT diamond.....the real game changer.

Could be. If we can slave it or use SP and then designate and slew and get a dynamic TDC diamond, that's still enough. As long as it operates as offset, so we don't have the same problem as the Viper, with permanently moving waypoints (which will be fixed). Add CZ or something like that and we're good. And yeah, JHMCS designation will be pretty sweet.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

LITENING question

The targetting pod is fantastic but I run into a small issue when using it: it's very difficult to find the target area. E.g. if I have a waypoint or something is marked with smoke, it takes me ages to get the pod looking in the right general area to start with. Usually it requires diving the plane at the point and estimating 5 degrees below my datum line, but even that is inaccurate and often impractical (results in very high closure to target and not enough time to set up the attack run properly).

Is there any way at all to either:

• display where the pod is looking on the HUD (like the AGM-65s do)
  • slave the pod and tell it "look at this waypoint" then go from there?

Thanks!

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

Ah ok, so some WIP functionality, which in some way will eventually solve this issue. Manually moving the TGT point on HUD and slaving the TGP would be awesome

I'll look for the marker on SA/HSI, that will work fine with waypoints. But not so well with quick "hey we're smoking this random target go bomb it". But then I guess if JTAC is smoking they're probably also lasing and I can just CCRP it and leave. 8)

VC

We are waiting for that tiny addition for months now. I really can't understand how something so helpful and so easy to implement (I'm referring only to the HUD aid, nothing else) is being put on hold for so long.

This should have been in in week +1 after the TGP introduction.

I’m having the same problem here, most of the time I pass over the target and still can’t find it knowing is down there.

What I’m doing now is moving the TGP and press the TDC, a mark point is displayed on the HUD and this is helping me to point in the intended area Aidee with the SA marker too.

In the harrier the image of the TPOD, especially the FLIR have more contrast and the target shine in the black background and are more easy to identify, but in the hornet with those green screen that task is very difficult, sometime I use the lower display in grey scale but is more difficult than the harrier.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

In the harrier the image of the TPOD, especially the FLIR have more contrast and the target shine in the black background and are more easy to identify, but in the hornet with those green screen that task is very difficult, sometime I use the lower display in grey scale but is more difficult than the harrier.

For sure you already had a look at this video, some options for flir zoom/ white/black hot feature that helps (04:22), anyway the TGP still WIP.

Edited by pokeraccio
video time code reference

What I’m doing now is moving the TGP and press the TDC, a mark point is displayed on the HUD and this is helping me to point in the intended area Aidee with the SA marker too.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try this, it should help a lot just in the first try, to at least not immediately start scanning in the opposite direction to where I want.

VC

Just one of numerous unfinished systems in the Hornet. The TGP is currently veery bare bones and is missing a ton of functionality.

+1 One step from being useless!

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Well not quite useless but harder than it needs to be. You would think as the targeting pod code must be determining the position within space for both GPS weapons and to reflect the position on the SA display it boggles the mind a bit why they haven’t added coordinates display, display in the JHMCS and the ability to have mark points and go to waypoints.

Yes I know early access and all it is just some of the staged things get left at for substantial period of time seem strange.

I'd give a +1 for the "please put this on the list of things to do soon, compared to other projects" but.................

the argument that the Tpod is nearly useless is a complete joke. You just need to use other systems to currently get the most out of it, which makes it a bit more difficult.

For one example: enter coordinates in a new waypoint, to give yourself a target reference point for where to point the Litening pod (using SA page).

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4069345&postcount=219

F/A-18C Hornet

Targeting Pod

Slave to waypoint / target point

Line of sight indication on the HUD

Coordinate display

Cursor Zero and Snowplow modes

So you will get some more reference and indication to improve the Litening pod (in case you missed this one).

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria