Another FA18 Hornet in the making..

Ketsefletser

Holy christmas, this looks amazing. Especially the UFC blew my mind, i'm realy impressed. Friends of mine where totaly overwhelmed by my setup, but this makes my stuff look like a toy :thumbup:

Just a few questions:

Are all of the instruments/panels functional or are some of them just damn good decorations?

What materials did you use for the frames?

Are the DDI's functional and if, what displays did you use?

Where is the F/A-18 grip? :)

cheers

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Holy christmas, this looks amazing. Especially the UFC blew my mind, i'm realy impressed. Friends of mine where totaly overwhelmed by my setup, but this makes my stuff look like a toy :thumbup:

—-thanks for the positive feedback!

Just a few questions:

Are all of the instruments/panels functional or are some of them just damn good decorations?

—-the UFC is functional, the HUD control panel is functional. The master arm switch etc will be functional. I’m not able to construct the backlighting of my panels (yet) all the displays are fake though. I’m using it for VR (I know for that my setup is a visual overkill) the DDI’s are from thrustmaster, the display is a print behind plexiglass.

What materials did you use for the frames?

— I guess you mean the main construction frame; it’s laser cut MDF in 9 / 6 / 3 / 2 mm thickness.

Are the DDI's functional and if, what displays did you use?

—- see above

Where is the F/A-18 grip? :)

— knobs and buttons turned out to eat my budget. It’ll come !

cheers

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Ah ok, i missed that you're using it for VR. Functional DDI's wouldn't make any sense for that, but it's nice that the MA Switch, the HUD panel and the UFC are functional. I think MDF is a good choice for the main construction frame, but the UFC and HUD panel frame on pic #15 also catched my eyes. It looks like a metal construction, or is it just the paintjob that makes it look like one? Nonetheless very well crafted.

Well, i wouldn't call it a visual overkill. Just very well detailed and the Hornet Grip will make it just perfect. Good luck with your panel backlights though.

cheers mate

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I think MDF is a good choice for the main construction frame, but the UFC and HUD panel frame on pic #15 also catched my eyes. It looks like a metal construction, or is it just the paintjob that makes it look like one? Nonetheless very well crafted.

It’s 2mm MDF with filler and black paint. It does the job

• 3 weeks later...

Impressive. Thats fast and quality work.

What type of machinery are you using? 3d Printer and laser cutter?

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Simply outstanding.

Please tell me, when did you start? You started this topic less than a month ago. This would be super quick!

Thanks! Laser cutting/engraving are the only tools used at the moment.

May I as what brand / type of laser engraver/cutter do you have? Something for home use or do you have access to an industrial machine?

Edited by Gruman

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

I started somewhere during April this year. With 2 kids and a job besides, things go slowly :-)

I use the laser cutter at university where I work. It’s a big precise professional one. The guys from the workshop are great helping me out. All files made in 2D using adobe illustrator.

Nice start I would mount every thing to a low platform Incase it’s got to be moved and that way everything stays in the same spot.

My pit is on a platform to make it easier for me to get in and especially out. Look how I think it was skip did his motion huey setup with vr. Me I’m going with the point controller finger mods . I’m awaiting a couple things before I actually get back in my pit and other things before I use the ctrlpointer out of the pit with my new rift s vr system I have even connected it up to my laptop that I’ve been using in the past.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.