New Clouds Discussion

Mizzy

11 minutes ago, Mad_Shell said:

ED staff said that the impact on performance is pretty minimal, and by looking into the lua files I think that the new clouds will come with 4 settings: low, medium, high or ultra quality

I also remember that quote, but if i remember correctly they never said explicit if this is also true for VR - atleast i hope so.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

1 hour ago, unknown said:

I also remember that quote, but if i remember correctly they never said explicit if this is also true for VR - atleast i hope so.

BN said he saw little to no performance change, and he's using VR. He has a pretty beefy system though

3 hours ago, Weasel said:

Even the videos are dedicated new sub modes for HARM missile, the clouds look awesome and are just outstanding:

[/url]

Watching those HARM videos today, all I could focus on were those new clouds. 😲

That said, I remain pessimistic that the new clouds are going to bring the VR performance of my rather beefy system (water cooled 3090 FE & 5900X + 32GB 3600MHz RAM) to its knees. I truly hope I'm wrong. However, in nearly all other games I play, "cloud quality" is one of the main things I inevitably turn down to notably boost overall performance at 1440p.

If ED can pull off the addition of these clouds with "minimal" graphic performance (let's call it 5-10FPS), it'll be a miracle and all other game developers should use this as a case study.

Needless to say, I'm quite skeptical. But man, they look so good that I may even consider putting the VR headset away and going back to playing on a 2D monitor with TrackIR, just so I can experience those new clouds in their full glorious form. 

Edited by oldmanflan
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, oldmanflan said:

Watching those HARM videos today, all I could focus on were those new clouds. 😲

That said, I remain pessimistic that the new clouds are going to bring the VR performance of my rather beefy system (water cooled 3090 FE & 5900X + 32GB 3600MHz RAM) to its knees. I truly hope I'm wrong. However, in nearly all other games I play, "cloud quality" is one of the main things I inevitably turn down to notably boost overall performance at 1440p.

If ED can pull off the addition of these clouds with "minimal" graphic performance (let's call it 5-10FPS), it'll be a miracle and all other game developers should use this as a case study.

Needless to say, I'm quite skeptical. But man, they look so good that I may even consider putting the VR headset away and going back to playing on a 2D monitor with TrackIR, just so I can experience those new clouds in their full glorious form. 

Yeah many people are worried about the performance of the new clouds. Especially us in VR. I'm hopefully it won't.... I think it will be amazing to surf through those formations in a f-16 or a p-47. As for going back to 2D jeez, no! Lol. It's basically the same as watching it on YT! Except you get to choose where to go...

Edited by Hoirtel

4 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

Yeah many people are worried about the performance of the new clouds. Especially us in VR. I'm hopefully it won't.... I think it will be amazing to surf through those formations in a f-16 or a p-47. As for going back to 2D jeez, no! Lol. It's basically the same as watching it on YT! Except you get to choose where to go...

😆 Great point. 

• ED Team

Overhead seems low for clouds, I have not seen a performance issue in testing and I use VR mainly. Results may vary on other systems. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Overhead seems low for clouds, I have not seen a performance issue in testing and I use VR mainly. Results may vary on other systems. 
Relieving to hear that as far as vr is concern.
Thanks for the info.
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

29 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

At the end of day, things are going to take resources and we want the game to move on and keep improving as it has been. Hardware moves on too. I think the clouds will be great even if they do take a bit of power, and it's not like they have to be on all the time! Can't wait for VR cloud surfing...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mizzy said:

For me VR isn't ready yet for DCS, I like high resolution so maybe in a few years lets hope.

Btw, it's getting to the end of the first quarter, still on track for 2.7 ?

If you check the patch status thread, you'll see the date. 31.03.2021

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

At the end of day, things are going to take resources and we want the game to move on and keep improving as it has been. Hardware moves on too. I think the clouds will be great even if they do take a bit of power, and it's not like they have to be on all the time! Can't wait for VR cloud surfing...

If can maintain status quo in performance requirements and yet improve graphical qualities, then it means we are gaining in hardware resource use by optimizing it. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

13 hours ago, Mizzy said:

For me VR isn't ready yet for DCS, I like high resolution so maybe in a few years lets hope.

Btw, it's getting to the end of the first quarter, still on track for 2.7 ?

You can ramp up the pixel density, you will have a crystal clear high resolution picture but DCS and the HW is not capable to render that in a satisfying fashion - render time will be seconds per frame instead of frames per second 😂

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

8 minutes ago, unknown said:

You can ramp up the pixel density, you will have a crystal clear high resolution picture but DCS and the HW is not capable to render that in a satisfying fashion - render time will be seconds per frame instead of frames per second 😂

Pixel density isn't the magical wand that makes your display render everything that you upscaled properly. Yes the picture will be at a higher pixel density, but you will still be limited by the fixed number of pixels that the display can output. It makes everything a little bit better, but it won't let you get the proper picture that it could output if it had that pixel density natively. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Pixel density isn't the magical wand that makes your display render everything that you upscaled properly. Yes the picture will be at a higher pixel density, but you will still be limited by the fixed number of pixels that the display can output. It makes everything a little bit better, but it won't let you get the proper picture that it could output if it had that pixel density natively. 

That is true ofcourse, but back then i played with that setting there was a day/night difference between 1.0(even with msaa) and 2.5(no msaa) for example - in the latter i could read every little dial in the cockpit crytal clear while the dials are "washed out" with the first setting. Just the performance wasn't great - as expected. 😂

🍻

• Like 1

14 hours ago, unknown said:

That is true ofcourse, but back then i played with that setting there was a day/night difference between 1.0(even with msaa) and 2.5(no msaa) for example - in the latter i could read every little dial in the cockpit crytal clear while the dials are "washed out" with the first setting. Just the performance wasn't great - as expected. 😂

🍻

In 5-6 years, someone is going to read that and think, "Woah! There was a time when even someone with a beefy setup couldn't read text in the cockpit?!"

I'm already excited to see what future hardware will do for DCS in VR. Just imagine a 4K VR image at consistent 60fps. One can only dream. 

Edited by oldmanflan
  • Like 1

Where the clouds @?

• Like 1

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

On 3/24/2021 at 7:18 AM, unknown said:

Yep, I know that the hardware isn't capable of rendering pixel density 2 DCS is not optimised for high resolution in VR yet. It's all for the future hardware what I am after and that is no time soon.

1 hour ago, j0nx said:

Where the clouds @?

Coming soon mate 🙂

On 3/23/2021 at 6:49 PM, razo+r said:

If you check the patch status thread, you'll see the date. 31.03.2021

Is that subject to change ?

• Like 1