New Clouds Discussion

Mizzy

I'm really curious how the new clouds will effect existing missions and campaigns.

I'm currently playing the Raven One campaign, one mission a week...should get new clouds tomorrow...will be fun since it's mission 3, which has some pod work in it.

6 hours ago, A2597 said:

I'm really curious how the new clouds will effect existing missions and campaigns.

I'm currently playing the Raven One campaign, one mission a week...should get new clouds tomorrow...will be fun since it's mission 3, which has some pod work in it.

I came here to ask the same question, will existing mission need to be updated or will the new clouds just show up based on the weather data in the mission?

Edited by LASooner

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

28 minutes ago, Eisprinzessin said:

As it is sheduled for today, at which time ED normally releases stuff?

Usually right after I finish downloading it 😆

Normally sometime afternoon/evening (when you’re on European time). Servers are going to get hammered today. You might not even get to play it today because of slow DL speeds....

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

Just rebooted my machine in the middle of a flight. Never seen that before...

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Welp, I'm blown away.

Not only do the new clouds look amazing, but they've notably improved the VR visual clarity inside and outside the cockpit. Everything just looks much more 'crisp'. So much so, that it's halted my plan to swap my Rift-S out for the HP Reverb G2.  

To top it off, performance didn't seem to take much of a hit, either. I am seeing a little more stuttering on the carrier in very severe weather. But nothing crazy. And once airborne, it's gone.  

One issue I am seeing is the thicker clouds appear to bounce and stutter around a bit. Granted, with all the new VR setting options, it could just be that my settings need to be tweaked to correct that. 

Regardless, I'm more than impressed.  

EDIT: Looks like they are already aware of the jumping clouds issue and are working to resolve it: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/267894-jumping-clouds/

Edited by oldmanflan

You made my day !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Until I get moved, I am not able to test the new clouds on my PC. But, I have watched pretty much all of the vids on YouTube. I suspect the vid makers all tried to maximize the amount of clouds, in order to give us a good look at them.  They are impressive, and ED is to be congratulated. I’m just hoping that, when I am able to try them, there will not be so many everywhere all the time.  🙂 

In RL, there are days and nights with no or very few clouds.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

6 hours ago, TWC_SLAG said:

Until I get moved, I am not able to test the new clouds on my PC. But, I have watched pretty much all of the vids on YouTube. I suspect the vid makers all tried to maximize the amount of clouds, in order to give us a good look at them.  They are impressive, and ED is to be congratulated. I’m just hoping that, when I am able to try them, there will not be so many everywhere all the time.  🙂 

In RL, there are days and nights with no or very few clouds.

You have no control of what clouds preset (there are dozens!) mission designers choose in their missions. Of course they are not all super cloudy. Some are and some are not - even clear weather - just like IRL. Of course the videos show off the clouds since they are new to us and amazing to watch and fly around. You are free to set whatever preset you like in your missions or edited ones.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

11 hours ago, draconus said:

You have no control of what clouds preset (there are dozens!) mission designers choose in their missions. Of course they are not all super cloudy. Some are and some are not - even clear weather - just like IRL. Of course the videos show off the clouds since they are new to us and amazing to watch and fly around. You are free to set whatever preset you like in your missions or edited ones.

^ Yep. There are a ton of different preset options you can use when creating missions. If you only rely on multiplayer servers, then you are obviously going to be at the will of whoever hosts the server.

In my personal missions, I've been testing everything from maximum clouds/storms to minimal cloud cover and I'm loving every bit of it. VR was already extremely immersive. But now, the dynamic realism is on a level well beyond what I expected from this update. For instance...

This morning I took off from the Lincoln, which happened to be inside a clearing in the clouds, with a dry deck and the sun shining through. I took off, ran into a wall of rain/clouds about 3nm out, with a new sound of rain hammering the canopy. So I punched above the cloud layers to reach blue skies. 

After going on to complete my A2G mission, I decided to keep heading North and land on the Washington. The Washington happened to be smack in the middle of a massive storm. Despite flying in perfectly clear/blue skies just 15nm out from the carrier, on my final approach I was flying head on into a very dense storm to complete a Case 3 recovery. As I got within 3nm of the carrier, visibility diminished to 0 and all I had was my gauges and the LSO to get me down safely. 

It was the first time in a very long time that I've completed a flight then had to sit back, reflect on the entire experience and think... "Wow." 

Edited by oldmanflan
  • Like 2