New Clouds Discussion

Mizzy

I'm getting real impatient. I wasn't this excited for an update since EDGE and DCS 2.0 came out. Where are our new clouds? 🙂

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Hoirtel said:

Q1 is their planned date. So by end of march. Unless it changes.

Q1 can be anytime in Q1, it doesn't really have to be at the very end of Q1 or does it? I can hope at least....

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

vor 30 Minuten schrieb Lurker:

Q1 can be anytime in Q1, it doesn't really have to be at the very end of Q1 or does it? I can hope at least....

I can only speculate about the gaming industry, but I'm part of an engineering team which delivers software to commercial customers and if there is a Q1 deadline for a test/final release version, this usually means the end of March.  Of course, internally you plan for unforeseen circumstances so it is usually more or less ready by mid-March, but we'll have to wait and see.  I'm also hoping they release the clouds on March 1 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hellbat said:

I can only speculate about the gaming industry, but I'm part of an engineering team which delivers software to commercial customers and if there is a Q1 deadline for a test/final release version, this usually means the end of March.  Of course, internally you plan for unforeseen circumstances so it is usually more or less ready by mid-March, but we'll have to wait and see.  I'm also hoping they release the clouds on March 1 😄

I do believe that it has been stated the new clouds are already complete in their first phase. Also when all the new vids come out showcasing the new product, it usually means that they are in a more a ore or less fit state to release. So I am guessing early March.

• Like 1

• BIGNEWY locked and unlocked this topic

Has ED mentioned anything about the performance impact we can expect from the new clouds / weather ? would be really interesting to hear a few words on that topic .. 

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

It has been commented a few times yes.

1: The are "optimized and do not... require a "monster pc" (Kate)

2: The DCS requirements will NOT change, save for the fact that Win 7 will not be supported (Big Newy)

It is worth noting that modern games very often have volumetric clouds and still good performance. In DCS competitor in the civial aviation (no names named), the clouds are not the biggest performance hitters (textures, polygons etc are much worse).

• Like 3

The more I see the more I'm impressed by how realistic the new clouds are looking. However, we still haven't seen any night time pictures. I wonder how will they look under the light of the moon for example. 

Edited by Jafergon
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 6:28 PM, Jafergon said:

The more I see the more I'm impressed by how realistic the new clouds are looking. However, we still haven't seen any night time pictures. I wonder how will they look under the light of the moon for example. 

Closest to night time I've found

EvJ3SH8WQAQFo3v.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

On 2/15/2021 at 12:05 PM, Steph said:

Nice Cumulonimbus but it's a very large cloud ... 3D performance , RAM etc ...?

Which picture / screenshot are you talking about  ? 

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

On 3/2/2021 at 2:42 PM, Sr. said:

Closest to night time I've found

EvJ3SH8WQAQFo3v.png

Can't wait for this. Looks like there was also an upgrade to the lighting system. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

EVERY UPCOMING MODULE from DCS and all the other developers are waiting to release their modules contingent on seeing just how clouds are going to affect their product.  Which means tons of waiting on our part and no insight. Especially from DCS..... so the whole hold up is DCS!!!

44 minutes ago, gdotts said:

EVERY UPCOMING MODULE from DCS and all the other developers are waiting to release their modules contingent on seeing just how clouds are going to affect their product.  Which means tons of waiting on our part and no insight. Especially from DCS..... so the whole hold up is DCS!!!

giphy.gif

59 minutes ago, gdotts said:

probably the whole 2.7 rather than  just the clouds. And yeah of course they are... why would they not? Thats how it works...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gdotts said:

Come again?

• Like 3