Yet another VR Stutter Issue Thread (RiFt-S)

tylero68

In the past few weeks my system has developed a stutter/ghosting issue that has become a huge annoyance.

The problem occurs as stutters when moving my head around in the pit. Not even sure stutters are the correct term, but it will be a rapid double vision or clunky movement. I have tried messing with the in game ASW(rctrl+numpad(1-4)) and it has not helped. What does, however, seem to immediately help the issue is Alt+Enter (Fullscreen to Windowed and vice versa). This fix is only temporary and after a few seconds I hit it again and it fixes it again for a short while. My FPS are not dropping and generally stay pegged at 40 with the current settings, even while the stutters occur. This has occurred with multiple aircraft (F16, P51, L39, Bf109, etc.).

Could this be an issue with my GPU settings? (Gsync? (i have a g sync monitor)) I have updated my GPU drivers since the issue started and nothing changed. I honestly feel like all these damn driver updates screw up more things than they fix so when things are running properly I try to avoid it like the plague. I do generally play music in the background and have browsers open and such. But I did this before to no effect on performance so I don't think this is it, just adding for transparency. Additionally, my GPU monitoring software starts the "OSD" every time I fire the game up and don't know how to stop it from doing so (EVGA Precision XOC).

Provided everything I could think of below. Will provide track file if needed.

System Specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x

GTX 1080ti

32 gb 3200mhz RAM

Rift-S

In-game settings:

Textures: High

Terrain Textures: High

Civ. Traffic: Off

Water: Medium

Visib Range: High

Heat Blur: Off

Shadows: Flat Only

Res: 2560X1440

Aspect Ration: 1.778

Monitors: 1 Screen

Res. of Cockpit Disp.: 1024

MSAA: Off

Depth of Field: off

Lens Eff.: Off

Motion Blur: Off

SSAA: Off

Clutter/Grass: 0

Trees Vis: 40%

Preload: 150000

Smoke: 0

Gamma: 2.1

Anisotropic: 4x

Terrain Object Shadows: Off

Cockpit Global Illum: On

No rain droplets

no v sync

Full screen checked

scale gui: off

GPU Settings:

Global Settings:

Ambient Occlusion: Off

Anisotropic Filtering: App Controlled

FXAA: Off

Gamma Correction: On

Antialiasing Mode: App Controlled

Antialiasing Transparency: Off

CUDA: All

DSR Factors: Off

Low Latency Mode: Off

Monitor Tech: Gsync

MFAA: Off

OpenGL: Auto

Power: Max Perf

Preferred Refresh Rate: Highest

Shader Cache: On

Texture Filt - Anisotropic: Off

Texture Filt 0 Negative LOD: Clamp

Texture Filt Quality: Quality

Texcture Filt - Tiilinear: Off

Threaded Optimization: Auto

Triple Buffering: Off

Vertical Sync: 3d app setting

VR pre-rendered frames: 3d app setting

3700x, MSI 3080 Ventus 3x OC, 32 GB 3200mhz RAM, Rift S or Track IR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Logitech Rudder Pedals

Couple things I would try first.

Do a Repair of DCS.

Delete FXO and Metashader 2 files in Saved Games DCS directory.

Try again.

If issue persists, try doing the below:

Download latest Nvidia drivers.

Download latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller.

Disconnect Internet.

Reboot to safe mode.

Use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the current Nvidia display drivers in safe mode.

Reboot to windows desktop (internet still disconnected).

Install Nvidia drivers you previously downloaded.

Only install the driver itself and PhysX - leave that other stuff alone.

Reboot again.

Connect Internet and give try running the game again.

If issue still persists, try a Repair of the Oculus software. Download the installer and run it, choose repair.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Couple things I would try first.

Do a Repair of DCS.

Delete FXO and Metashader 2 files in Saved Games DCS directory.

Try again.

If issue persists, try doing the below:

Download latest Nvidia drivers.

Download latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller.

Disconnect Internet.

Reboot to safe mode.

Use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the current Nvidia display drivers in safe mode.

Reboot to windows desktop (internet still disconnected).

Install Nvidia drivers you previously downloaded.

Only install the driver itself and PhysX - leave that other stuff alone.

Reboot again.

Connect Internet and give try running the game again.

If issue still persists, try a Repair of the Oculus software. Download the installer and run it, choose repair.

Thanks for the response. Will try the above. I have repaired the oculus software already this week, due to other issues. Not recognizing headset, multiple forced restarts, etc. That software is a different story and has had me looking at other headsets because I'm sick of its crap.

3700x, MSI 3080 Ventus 3x OC, 32 GB 3200mhz RAM, Rift S or Track IR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Logitech Rudder Pedals

Thanks for the response. Will try the above. I have repaired the oculus software already this week, due to other issues. Not recognizing headset, multiple forced restarts, etc. That software is a different story and has had me looking at other headsets because I'm sick of its crap.

That is a little odd, mine has been solid as can be. I do see at times others having issues with it some.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

In the past few weeks my system has developed a stutter/ghosting issue that has become a huge annoyance.

The problem occurs as stutters when moving my head around in the pit. Not even sure stutters are the correct term, but it will be a rapid double vision or clunky movement. I have tried messing with the in game ASW(rctrl+numpad(1-4)) and it has not helped. What does, however, seem to immediately help the issue is Alt+Enter (Fullscreen to Windowed and vice versa). This fix is only temporary and after a few seconds I hit it again and it fixes it again for a short while. My FPS are not dropping and generally stay pegged at 40 with the current settings, even while the stutters occur. This has occurred with multiple aircraft (F16, P51, L39, Bf109, etc.).

Could this be an issue with my GPU settings? (Gsync? (i have a g sync monitor)) I have updated my GPU drivers since the issue started and nothing changed. I honestly feel like all these damn driver updates screw up more things than they fix so when things are running properly I try to avoid it like the plague. I do generally play music in the background and have browsers open and such. But I did this before to no effect on performance so I don't think this is it, just adding for transparency. Additionally, my GPU monitoring software starts the "OSD" every time I fire the game up and don't know how to stop it from doing so (EVGA Precision XOC).

Provided everything I could think of below. Will provide track file if needed.

System Specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x

GTX 1080ti

32 gb 3200mhz RAM

Rift-S

In-game settings:

Textures: High

Terrain Textures: High

Civ. Traffic: Off

Water: Medium

Visib Range: High

Heat Blur: Off

Shadows: Flat Only

Res: 2560X1440

Aspect Ration: 1.778

Monitors: 1 Screen

Res. of Cockpit Disp.: 1024

MSAA: Off

Depth of Field: off

Lens Eff.: Off

Motion Blur: Off

SSAA: Off

Clutter/Grass: 0

Trees Vis: 40%

Preload: 150000

Smoke: 0

Gamma: 2.1

Anisotropic: 4x

Terrain Object Shadows: Off

Cockpit Global Illum: On

No rain droplets

no v sync

Full screen checked

scale gui: off

GPU Settings:

Global Settings:

Ambient Occlusion: Off

Anisotropic Filtering: App Controlled

FXAA: Off

Gamma Correction: On

Antialiasing Mode: App Controlled

Antialiasing Transparency: Off

CUDA: All

DSR Factors: Off

Low Latency Mode: Off

Monitor Tech: Gsync

MFAA: Off

OpenGL: Auto

Power: Max Perf

Preferred Refresh Rate: Highest

Shader Cache: On

Texture Filt - Anisotropic: Off

Texture Filt 0 Negative LOD: Clamp

Texture Filt Quality: Quality

Texcture Filt - Tiilinear: Off

Threaded Optimization: Auto

Triple Buffering: Off

Vertical Sync: 3d app setting

VR pre-rendered frames: 3d app setting

I am experiencing exactly the same issue as you, and can also confirm that pressing Alt + Enter temporarily fixes it, then it goes bad again.

really annoying, and it hasnt always been like it, so dont know whats changed? Glad its not just me though.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

I tried the above that dburne mentioned and no fix. Seems to be marginally improved, but not fixed.

Any chance the lighting in your room has changed any?

Don B

When you're using DCS in VR, I would start by reducing resolution to the lowest possible level. It shouldn't have any effect on your resolution in the Rift S. Lowering your cockpit display resolution to 256 will also boost performance, but if you spend a lot of time using your mirrors, you might not like how they look. Also, what is your pixel density set to?

If your GPU monitoring software behaves like other executables that autorun when you fire up DCS, you should be able to go to the .exe file for that and set "Run as administrator" in the compatibility tab. That should prevent it from automatically running.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Any chance the lighting in your room has changed any?

Negative. I can try changine the lighting and see what happens, but if it's a lighting issue then logic tells me that Alt+Enter wouldnt help it out at all.

When you're using DCS in VR, I would start by reducing resolution to the lowest possible level. It shouldn't have any effect on your resolution in the Rift S. Lowering your cockpit display resolution to 256 will also boost performance, but if you spend a lot of time using your mirrors, you might not like how they look. Also, what is your pixel density set to?

If your GPU monitoring software behaves like other executables that autorun when you fire up DCS, you should be able to go to the .exe file for that and set "Run as administrator" in the compatibility tab. That should prevent it from automatically running.

pixel density = 1.5

I also play with mirrors off.

Also, and I guess this is the frustrating part, up until a week or two ago the exact settings I am using right now were working perfectly. So something has happened somewhere in the matrix to screw things up. Either a DCS update, GPU driver update, or Oculus software update. And, unfortunately, software updates so often these days it's made it difficult to pinpoint the culprit.

I think I know what you're experiencing, it sounds similar to what I have experienced using the Rift CV1.

My fix was to download Oculus Tray Tool, and when I would get the stuttering I'd alt tab out to Tray Tool, turn off ASW, alt tab back into DCS for about 5 sec, alt tab back out to Tray Tool and set ASW to auto then alt tab back to DCS. That fixed it for me. I only had to do it usually once per game session, maybe twice if something seemed to trigger the issue again, like quickly selecting through F2 view of various aircraft in the game.

Hope that helps!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Cooler Master HAF X Case | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W PSU | EVGA Z270 Classified K |

Intel Core i7 7700k @ 5.0 Ghz | 512GB Samsung 960 Pro SSD |

16 GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 @ 3200 MHZ | EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 | WD 6TB 7200 RPM |

Oculus Rift | TM HOTAS Warthog | 27" ASUS VG278H 3D monitor | Windows 10 64 bit |

Really odd, for some reason on my setup that is just not happening.

Don B

I think I know what you're experiencing, it sounds similar to what I have experienced using the Rift CV1.

My fix was to download Oculus Tray Tool, and when I would get the stuttering I'd alt tab out to Tray Tool, turn off ASW, alt tab back into DCS for about 5 sec, alt tab back out to Tray Tool and set ASW to auto then alt tab back to DCS. That fixed it for me. I only had to do it usually once per game session, maybe twice if something seemed to trigger the issue again, like quickly selecting through F2 view of various aircraft in the game.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try this out and report back.

Really odd, for some reason on my setup that is just not happening.

Agreed. And it's not like my rig doesn't have the HP.

I've again been on the receiving end of some game stutters and performance weirdness, not sure if you came across my thread (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=249793) but I feel I have some significant experience with RiftS and DCS, I resolveds these recently occuring stutters by making some changes as follows;

Turned my PhysX to CPU

Nvidia CP setting to 'Ultra' Low-Latency Mode (I suspect it was this that did it)

Turned screens to 512

Turned off grass/clutter

Turned off Dirt, now flare only

Maxed out pre-load (I have 32GB DDR4)

Hope that helps.

Creator & Developer of XSAF ::An AI model that wants to kill you, and needs no help from humans.

Discord: PravusJSB#9484   twitch.tv/pravusjsb  https://www.patreon.com/XSAF  https://discord.gg/pC9EBe8vWU https://bmc.link/johnsbeaslu

Work with me on Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/pravusjsb

• ED Team

check your antivirus realtime scan. Some have been creating stutters for users, adding dcs install folder to the ignore list has helped.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
Have tried everything mentioned. The issue persists.

Also still suffering from this exact issue.

My rig is used ONLY for DCS. I have no anti virus software installed. Windows defender is disabled via a registry edit.

Literally the only things installed and running are DCS, Oculus software and Nvidia GFX driver.

Its quite maddening because numerous times throughout a mission I have to press alt + enter in order to prevent the stuttering/juddering.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I’m going to revert to older nvidia drivers and see if this helps. Still going on. I’ve gotten used to it by now, which is ridiculous because this absolutely kills the immersion

Read this: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4106947&postcount=1842

Post 1842 (link), 1845, 1847.

In short:

Your issue smells a bit like mine.

Only when moving your head, not when scenery is passing quickly with your head steady.

Developed since yesterday, tried everything i could think of. No joy. Got a replacement this afternoon, same problem after installing. Switched USB ports again from 3.1 (which solved my hot plug issue last week) to 3.0 and whopla, solved (feel a bit shamed i got a new device).

3.1 ports on new USB PCI card keep playing up now, only for Rift S, but they worked fine for more then a week (got the card to solve the hot plug issue and it solved it...only to come with another problem a week later).

Hotplugging problem on motherboards own USB 3.0 ports is now solved.

Only thing i had changed is 2 Windows updates day before yesterday at end of session, one cumulative thingy for 1903 and another .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 also for 1903 (i'm not on 1909 yet). Did this cause the problem and the solution, i don't know....Seems the drivers on the PCI card also have been updated. Drivers are not delivered anymore by Startech, they use Windows 10 drivers when on Win 10.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

Oculus pushed driver and firmware updates to my headset today. I just finished flying for an hour with no issues at all. Let's hope this continues.

• 2 weeks later...

My Rift-S has started switching off after 10-20mins flying since the latest up was pushed to the device ... working fine before. Now, head tracking stops working and on exiting DCS, the background shows noise rather than via via on-board cameras - thanks a million facebook, broken the device again!!

• 3 months later...

I've been having similar issues with the stuttering. Once the stutter starts it persists even out of game in desktop(in VR). The Stutter seems to start when something graphically demanding changes in game like turning on a TV POD or low level with ground detail being viewed etc.

Last night when the stutter started and pretty much locked up the game, I clicked pass-through mode on the Rift S controller and then went back into the game and it was instantly smooth!

This seems consistent with what other people are doing alt enter and such - Maybe this is somehow resetting the HMD within DCS.

I only play multiplayer so don't know if this would happen in single. I believe this to be a DCS issue as I've never experienced it in any other game.

Best way to solve most issues like connection and tracking etc is to have a powered USB hub for the Rift S. Worked for me anyway.

Update - It seems this might be more related to ASW turning on despite using the tray tool to turn it off. I manually turned it off mid stutter with oculusdebugtoolCLI, using command "server:asw.off" and this did work for me.

Edited by Doolz

I have same issue, 1080, SSD, 32ram and using Oculus tray.

Whenever the issue begins (more players seems to make it more frequent, but it can happen anytime) the only "fix" I found, some weeks now, is to tab out the game, wait a few moments, tab back in and usually it's nice and smooth again.

. . . . . . .

Every module/ map except the dual winged joke.