Realsimulator F-16 Throttle

Supmua

Keep asking and I think it will happen. We already have plenty of interests from this forum alone.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Once I double check the diameters of the switch barrels I'll post them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

https://www.otto-controls.com/j4-hall-effect-transducer

https://www.otto-controls.com/sl-slide-switch-in-commercial-and-military-grades

https://www.otto-controls.com/t4-4-way-mini-trim

These are the real switches but they each need to be customized from here. The first is the Radar Cursor/Enable, the second are for DogFight and SpeedBreak and the last one is the Radio switch. Each switch can be configured with different caps and colors which is done by changing numbers in the product code. Once you figure this out, you would go to Mouser or Peerless Electronics and possibly Digi-key to find them. The above switches configured the right way for the TQS would cost at least $1200-$1500. None of these will work in a Cougar as Thrustmaster made their own switches to approximate the real switch but far cheaper.

I've found switches by Grayhill and APEM that will do the job of the much more expensive Otto switches but haven't had time to do the measurements. The TQS I'm making has the exact same grip design and switch mounting as the real thing but I'm trying to keep my cost 1/3 maximum of what the Aerotronics TQS would cost which is in the neighborhood of $4000. Hopefully much less. As I said earlier, to do it right will not be cheap.

I also spoke with a local fabrication/cnc company that already does lots of aerospace work for NASA and Raytheon. I'm sending my SolidWorks files to them and will be getting a quote for the arm, tensioner components and grip. It ain't gonna be a pretty quote but I'd like to get it for comparison.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Wicked I don't think they intend to use the mil-spec otto's, keep in mind they make a very good force sense base for $500. Their turn key sims also come in various levels to match customer price.

Frankly I don't know that I'd want real mil-spec otto's anyway, they are very stiff. Big difference between being in a jet under G and in my recliner, I don't want 40lb of stick force. My su-29 is two hands on stick under load, I am dripping sweat after 20 minutes of competition/performance. Most of that is agsm and the overall physicality of the activity, not just the heavy stick, but you get my point.

Fwiw this is their throttle design, not sure it's exactly what we're talking about here but I'd certainly take it. Proper gates and travel, with quality but not mil-spec switches. Makes you wonder what their ICP and panels would cost... Actually, makes you wonder what a turnkey VR/no display pit would cost. 10K? They look like riveted aluminum, so bet they're at least that.

T_vert_1.jpg

And just to add some drool to the puddle, the pedals:

A_pedal-102.jpg

And the pro SSC

Stick_JPG4_86.jpg

Info here: http://www.realsimulator.com/html/flight_stick.html

This would get real hard to justify fast

Edited by sk000tch

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Wicked I don't think they intend to use the mil-spec otto's, keep in mind they make a very good force sense base for $500. Their turn key sims also come in various levels to match customer price.

Frankly I don't know that I'd want real mil-spec otto's anyway, they are very stiff. Big difference between being in a jet under G and in my recliner, I don't want 40lb of stick force. My su-29 is two hands on stick under load, I am dripping sweat after 20 minutes of competition/performance. Most of that is agsm and the overall physicality of the activity, not just the heavy stick, but you get my point.

Fwiw this is their throttle design, not sure it's exactly what we're talking about here but I'd certainly take it. Proper gates and travel, with quality but not mil-spec switches. Makes you wonder what their ICP and panels would cost... Actually, makes you wonder what a turnkey VR/no display pit would cost. 10K? They look like riveted aluminum, so bet they're at least that.

T_vert_1.jpg

And just to add some drool to the puddle, the pedals:

A_pedal-102.jpg

And the pro SSC

Stick_JPG4_86.jpg

Info here: http://www.realsimulator.com/html/flight_stick.html

This would get real hard to justify fast

Yes it is getting hard to justify. After more research on switches I've found replacements for the Otto's. The problem is they're still expensive as hell. I'm looking at $450 before I even think about the grip, base, arm and tensioner.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes it is getting hard to justify. After more research on switches I've found replacements for the Otto's. The problem is they're still expensive as hell. I'm looking at $450 before I even think about the grip, base, arm and tensioner.

Ya... I'm still hopping that dog I offered up back on page 3 gets me somewhere

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone priced any of the f-16 throttles from Bugeye?

Assuming that they'll even entertain you (they sell only to commercial and government entities but will occasionally make exceptions for home users only if you're in the USA), it's gonna start at $40-50K.

Assuming that they'll even entertain you (they sell only to commercial and government entities but will occasionally make exceptions for home users only if you're in the USA), it's gonna start at $40-50K.

Agreed. Your better bet is Aerotronics in Florida. Even then you're looking at between $4,000-$10,000.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Makes you wonder what their ICP and panels would cost... Actually, makes you wonder what a turnkey VR/no display pit would cost. 10K? They look like riveted aluminum, so bet they're at least that.

A friend of mine bought RS ICP around 2003. Unless Im very much mistaken, it was about 400€ (year 2003 remember). It was mandatory having a CCD, some kind of input/output interface where RS stuff were plugged, and a single USB port was rigged to your PC.

No idea about CCD pricetag.

As of today, he still uses it :D however, lack of Windows 10 support (!) means he needs another PC by his side, sending the bindings arrays generated for every ICP keystroke to the main PC by LAN. Good mess heheheh

And if memory doesn´t fail, RS pedals were about 800€ (again, money from 16 years ago).

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Agreed. Your better bet is Aerotronics in Florida. Even then you're looking at between $4,000-$10,000.

I have see (Reddit, foruns) people working will old versions of these "professional sim" controllers, and in matter of gimbal and electronics, they are more mundane than VKB, VPC.

Why not a tm cougar throttle it’s perfect match to the f-16

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Why not a tm cougar throttle it’s perfect match to the f-16

I have an "almost" perfectly functioning Cougar TQS with TUSBA and I fly with a Warthog throttle. The reason is thus..... available input buttons. Another reason is the lack of friction since the piece of plastic disintegrated circa 2006. Duct Tape supplies friction now and I have to reapply it about once every two weeks since by then it wears down and goes slick. Another reason is they will eventually fail. They're made out of Zinc. While re-attaching the grip to the arm on one of the many TQS' I've had over the years, the grip shattered in my hand.

It's time for a new solution. There aren't that many TQS' is the wild anymore and you'll pay out the ass for what is essentially a temporary fix.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have see (Reddit, foruns) people working will old versions of these "professional sim" controllers, and in matter of gimbal and electronics, they are more mundane than VKB, VPC.

That doesn't surprise me at all. However mundane they are though, they work! lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm definitely theoretically interested, though it very much depends on exactly how expensive it ends up being.

I know a quality F-16 throttle won't be cheap, but something like $1500 would be way too much for me to justify for DCS. Something like $500 or so might be an easier pill to swallow.

I have very high level of interest in a high quality F-16 throttle & grip. And if it were high enough quality I would be prepared to pay a realistic price for it. (In other words, I know it would not be cheap like buying a Warthog throttle). But they need to get the quality sufficiently high.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have very high level of interest in a high quality F-16 throttle & grip. And if it were high enough quality I would be prepared to pay a realistic price for it. (In other words, I know it would not be cheap like buying a Warthog throttle). But they need to get the quality sufficiently high.

Yeah more or less this.

Also bonus points if they have a Quick Swap Jeff mod for it too. (replace range knob with a 4 or 5 pos switch)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It seems from comments on their forum that it’s moot at this point, but I don’t think realsim would produce a consumer product and price it out of consumer price range. Their current lineup is a good guide, their stuff is expensive, but not prohibitive for the segment they target.

I would add that extrapolating costs from Otto switches doesn’t make much sense. On average I fly irl probably about as much as I play DCS, and while it does make me extremely picky about things like stick feel, the deflection force (or switch force) that feels right when your sitting on a chute at 9G would feel outrageous for a sim control. For example, I like about 8lb pull on my realsim fssb f16grh combo, but my RL ride is a 40+lb pull at 9G. The strength/robustness (and reliability) is also a factor, I’m pretty sure if I stomped my crosswinds the way I do rl pedals they would disintegrate...