AH-1 not in scope anymore ...?

Flagrum

From the Wags AMA at Mudspike (https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/)

What are the development statuses of the formerly Belsimtek Attack Choppers? Has the specific variant of the AH-1 been determined?

Belsimtek (BST) has not been in existence for a long time. BST was originally set up as a branch of Eagle Dynamics as a 3rd party example as a business practice. With the establishment of other 3rd parties, it no longer made sense to keep that staff under a separate entity. They were then merged back into Eagle Dynamics.

Much of our modern aircraft team is focused on the F/A-18C, F-16C, and Mi-24 Hind.

He does not answer the question but what he said sounds like "No BST = no AH-1" to me, i.e. there are no plans for the Cobra at the moment.

If I read this wrong, please correct me, ED ...:noexpression:

• ED Team
From the Wags AMA at Mudspike (https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/)

He does not answer the question but what he said sounds like "No BST = no AH-1" to me, i.e. there are no plans for the Cobra at the moment.

If I read this wrong, please correct me, ED ...:noexpression:

Hello,

While we hope to simulate the Cobra someday (as well as the F-4E), it's not on our immediate production plan. Our current production for new aircraft is the P-47D, Mi-24, and Mosquito. Between these and supporting exiting aircraft, we are already very, very, very busy. When the guys at BST were moved back to the mothership, former BST project plans had to be revaluated. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks

This is extremely disappointing news to me. Belsimtek not only had the best initial releases, but were almost the sole producers of the modules that I really wanted most: the UH-1, the F-86/MiG-15, F-5E, and F-15C FM upgrade. I also loved the matched pairs approach: UH-1/Mi-8, F-86/MiG-15, AH-1/Mi-24. The F-5E is almost the perfect balanced opponent for the MiG-21bis while the F-4E would be the historically correct opponent.

The F-4E and AH-1 were projects I was really looking forward to vice the umpteenth implementation of the F-16 and F-18 in PC combat flight sims. I understood that the F-4E and AH-1 got bumped down because of the F-16 and F-18... now they are bumped down because of the P-47 and Mosquito?

I was expecting an announcement about F-4E progress in a year or two... now it sounds more like it is at least 4 or 5 years away if it ever gets done at all. It figures the one aircraft I wanted more than any other that had already been showcased as "in progress" is now effectively cancelled until further notice.

I hope Heatblur picks up a Navy F-4 variant before ED gets to the F-4E. They already have decent AI for a two-seat carrier-based all-weather fighter. An F-4B/N or F-4J/S would be just as good to me as an F-4E.

The only bright side of this news is that I can put off work on building a USB F-4E throttle for my simpit. I already have the handles mounted on an axis, but I need to mount it to the console, restrict the angular movement to the correct range, and somehow implement the idle and afterburner detents.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While we hope to simulate the Cobra someday (as well as the F-4E), it's not on our immediate production plan. Our current production for new aircraft is the P-47D, Mi-24, and Mosquito. Between these and supporting exiting aircraft, we are already very, very, very busy. When the guys at BST were moved back to the mothership, former BST project plans had to be revaluated. Sorry for any confusion.

from the MudSpike interview: The Phantom is such a legendary aircraft that we will certainly simulate it. For now, we already have another aircraft (an eagerly awaited one) to work on after the Viper.

Just to be clear, is this a hint for another jet module which is planned to follow the F-16 or it refers to the mentioned Hind/WWII modules? Thanks.

Normally, it would be expected to refer to the F-4E, but that seemed to have been pushed back indefinitely and I don't really recall any other jet airplane mentioned by ED?

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Belsimtek not only had the best initial releases, but were almost the sole producers of the modules that I really wanted most
If one reads the Wag's interview you could understand BST was indeed a part of ED and they just came back after a while. So they are still there, they were ED indeed.

I don't think F-4E is out of the table, and now BST is back with ED probably modules in general develop faster (as we saw with Falcon). Hope Phantom doesn't delay that much, many people craved for it (so do I).

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

You can cut it any way you want it, but Belsimtek was on a track, and ED stopped them cold and redirected them: F-15C fm upgrade, F-5E, F/A-18, and F-16. ED is sure they are going to eventually do an F-4, but they can't even tell you when they are going to start because they aren't even sure what they are going to be doing before they can get to the F-4.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just to be clear, is this a hint for another jet module which is planned to follow the F-16 or it refers to the mentioned Hind/WWII modules? Thanks.

Normally, it would be expected to refer to the F-4E, but that seemed to have been pushed back indefinitely and I don't really recall any other jet airplane mentioned by ED?

It's probably that AH-64D Longbow that they've been working on in complete secret:music_whistling: (I'm joking! :D I too truly am curious whether that is something yet unannounced or if Wags is referring to the mi-24 HIND, which certainly is highly anticipated)

EDIT: I do remember ED asking about M1A1 Abrams experts, but that's no aircraft. And I'm not sure whether it was related to DCS World or simulator being built for a private/government organization.

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Hello,

Thanks

That's extremly sad news indeed, especially with the F-4E which seemed to have been quite a bit into development already:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3278678&postcount=1

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3341529&postcount=1

:(

ALbnEyB.jpg

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Can you at least give the Phantom to heatblur? Since they made a great job with a tandem seat multicrew plane, they can easily create a piece of art phantom. As far as i remember phantom was already close to the release of EA. Please don't delay it any more. We don't want to wait for years as we did for F-16

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

There have been a lot of complaints lately about them not completing existing modules, which there are many! I have no heartburn either way on the decision to delay Cobra and Phantom. The F-16 and F-18 are keeping me plenty busy when I have the time. Coupled with the release of new systems and weapons I have my plate full already. :) Also I guess with reallocating some staff to help with updates to the core game itself it helps me in supporting the decisions. Keep enjoying what we have already my friends and appreciate the added transparency they are giving us with the development reports also. :)

Edited by Raven68

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

There have been a lot of complaints lately about them not completing existing modules, which there are many! I have not heartburn either way on the decision to delay Cobra and Phantom. The F-16 and F-18 are keeping me plenty busy when I have the time. Coupled with the release of new systems and weapons I have my plate full already. :) Also I guess with reallocating some staff to help with updates to the core game itself it helps me in supporting the decisions. Keep enjoying what we have already my friends and appreciate the added transparency they are giving us with the development reports also. :)

Same here. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Agreed. Seems like ED have enough work on their hands already, would rather they work on the Mi24 and then return to something as complex as the F-4E as soon as that's done. This actually seems to be exactly what the majority of the community wants. Actually on another note, I was surprised nobody at Mudspike asked Wags about the new free map that's in development - hopefully we'll still hear something about it this year.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mind you they haven't said no AH-1,..

I'm guessing there is a lot of work going on both with the DCS engine and for modules both past, present and future.

When/if multi crew gets into the Mi-24 (As slated for UH-1) then that may well be a bonus for a future AH-1.

DCS_UH-1H_20.jpg

This has always caught my attention,. :)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Hello,

While we hope to simulate the Cobra someday (as well as the F-4E), it's not on our immediate production plan.

sad-kid-reaction-gif.gif

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

This is extremely disappointing news to me. Belsimtek not only had the best initial releases, but were almost the sole producers of the modules that I really wanted most: the UH-1, the F-86/MiG-15, F-5E, and F-15C FM upgrade. I also loved the matched pairs approach: UH-1/Mi-8, F-86/MiG-15, AH-1/Mi-24. The F-5E is almost the perfect balanced opponent for the MiG-21bis while the F-4E would be the historically correct opponent.

The F-4E and AH-1 were projects I was really looking forward to vice the umpteenth implementation of the F-16 and F-18 in PC combat flight sims. I understood that the F-4E and AH-1 got bumped down because of the F-16 and F-18... now they are bumped down because of the P-47 and Mosquito?

I was expecting an announcement about F-4E progress in a year or two... now it sounds more like it is at least 4 or 5 years away if it ever gets done at all. It figures the one aircraft I wanted more than any other that had already been showcased as "in progress" is now effectively cancelled until further notice.

I hope Heatblur picks up a Navy F-4 variant before ED gets to the F-4E. They already have decent AI for a two-seat carrier-based all-weather fighter. An F-4B/N or F-4J/S would be just as good to me as an F-4E.

The only bright side of this news is that I can put off work on building a USB F-4E throttle for my simpit. I already have the handles mounted on an axis, but I need to mount it to the console, restrict the angular movement to the correct range, and somehow implement the idle and afterburner detents.

I'm with you on this one. I am also extremely disappointed. The reason I got into jet combat at all was the F-4. I don't run this business though, so it's not my call obviously but it's still pretty sad.

What a joke

How so? ED makes a business decision on what they see as the higher priority and it's a joke? Apparently they're doing something right because they're still around and growing stronger in their continued development of DCSW. Don't take this as fanboy talk, but look at the proof of what they have delivered to us so far. It all takes time and we simply can't have it our way all the time.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Speculation on my part - It's possible that Belsimtek got pretty close with the F4, and were working on getting their AI to work (that much we know), but that while the new AI was a step forward from the Autopilots of the Huey and Mi-8, it was still in that vein.

Then when they came back in-house - & with the F-14 out - it was decided that the AI & interface wasn't going to compare well as it was then concieved, so they have put aircraft that need that functionality (aircraft that need a full RIO / WSO) on hold until E.D. have a version of that kind of AI that will compare favourably with the Jester.

Edit:

Not sure how that fits with the M-24, but maybe that was too close to ready & too anticipated to make sense to sit on it, & maybe they figure we can get by with a better autopilot. Maybe we'll see how the new AP came out.

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

Hello,

Thanks

Disappointing. Been after Vietnam era aircraft for a long time.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

yeah my utterly baseless speculation must be true if i copypasta it enough times

In my bizarre alternate universe, I thought there might be people that were interested in either the AH-1, or the F-4, but not both, and so might not read both threads (personally I could care less about the AH-1 (waiting eagerly for the Hind ;-), and only posted in this thread by accident, but there you go...).

Ridiculous thought I know - obviously every reader of the Forums reads every post in every thread....

Cheers.

Hello,

Thanks

Without being a dick, I would like to know a little bit more about the "politics" involved in making those desicions. At least I have never read a statment like: "Ah, damn it, we need more WWII planes"

Instead the modules I read the most requests about are getting delayed and delayed. Makes no sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm convinced that there are a lot of people for WWII planes as well, but I bet they are not the the majority.

I just feel a lack of communication when it comes to new modules, maps, or whatever. It's always like: "ok, here is a little something to get you guys excited, but we will see what we do with it." Whats missing are clear statements and a clear roadmap of whats to come in the near (or distant) future.

There are so many modules in development, every developer is talking through different channels, facebook, blogs - you name it. You get Infos from ten different sources and can than figure it out by yourself and take an educated guess on whats going to happen.

If I could have a wish @Eagle Dynamics or @Wags - Get all those third party developer at one table, work out a roadmap and f.... stick to it.

I guess there is little more the community wants more that simply not beeing left in the bloody dark.

The Tornado is being developed by as many people as the Tornado Development Team contains. It progresses rapidly with the speed of the Tornado development progress. It will be released at the Tornado release date. 

Support your local Getränkemarkt. :grin: