[REQUESTED]Why does JTAC say "No Mark" when I have set him to use laser

Hello

Can someone (preferably someone from ED) try this mission and explain to me why the JTAC always says "No Mark" when I have set him to use laser and the distance requirement and LOS are met according to the misson editor? This has been a reoccurring problem for all the time I have been using JTAC in missions. Not only with laser but it also occurs with WP and IR marking.

Is there some built in logic that never has been mentioned, like that even if you have set it to laser, they wont lase if there are no troops nearby that motivate a type 1 or 2? Or will they ignore it also if there is a cloud, fog or something? Or is it just a bug?

Even if they decide to never fix this bug if it is a bug it would be good to know some theory from the devs to why it frequently occurs, like how JTAC works in the sim, what criterias are checked for them to decide between type 1, 2 and 3. That way I would atleast have a chance to perhaps avoid it. Surely there must be a logic that is programmed for this, it cant just happen.

Thank you

test.miz

• ED Team

Hi

sorry I was not able to check the mission due to the unofficial mods.

Check your JTAC is laser capable and in range with line of sight to the target, infantry are not so good to use, I would go for a vehicle that uses some optical sight, you should get a lase then.

if you still have issue please attach a mission without mods I will be happy to check it

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team
Im sorry I forgot to remove the mod, I have removed it now, can someone please check why the JTAC wont use the laser?

Hi thanks, I had a look.

As far as I can tell due to low light and time of day the range was reduce on your hmvee.

I have attached a mission, changed the vehicle to a tank as it has night vision and optical and moved it slightly.

It should work now.

edit_test_no mods.miz

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Ok I will try this when I get home, Its hard to know this stuff since it is not in the manual. I have been searching for some clarity in this matter for a couple of years in varius threads but this is the first time I get info that the Humwee TOW does not have sufficient optics to manage this task at night. I had problems with the LAV-25 that I wanted to use so I shifted to Humwee TOW but perhaps the only way that worked was because I accidently changed the time of day or something.

Perhaps I could mod the LAV-25 to use the same kind of sensors as the Abrams to get them to use laser.

Sometimes I have problems with getting WP also, are there requirements that the JTAC unit must have a certain type of weapon to be able to designate using WP? I mean if you want to be certain that the WP marking will work in the mission should you place a artillery pice as JTAC?

Or is the gun of say a Stryker or LAV 25 enough?

Best thing to avoid this unclear things would be if ED once and for all would do a dedicated JTAC unit, or two different soldiers like the MANPADS, one with the radio and one with the laser/pointer. That way if you want to simulate a covert SAS team behind enemy lines designating SCUDs or something you would not have to use a invisible Abrams tank.

• ED Team

Hi

I agree and things have changed a lot since our first implementation of JTAC in DCS, I will mention it to the team.

Modern JTAC now use hand held equipment capable of lasing and marking targets at night so I will suggest it to the team.

let me know if the mission helps when you try.

thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

• ED Team

Good to hear you have a work around.

I have made a feature request but can not promise any change at this stage.

thank you

• 7 months later...

Very much looking forwards to this being added in the future. Is there a list that spells out the currently modeled capability/equipment of each vehicle? Once the M1A1 is on the scene, good chance that the GBU-12 isn't really needed anymore.