Question on learning weapons

dburne

Hey gang,

So I have been determined to finally learn the Hornet, I want to get where I can fly combat and be somewhat proficient.

I have been using Chuck's excellent Guide, and so far have gotten through cold start, takeoff, landing, carrier takeoff and landing, and navigation - waypoints, ADF, and TACAN . Many hours put into this so far and feeling good about it.

So now I am ready to move on to weapons training. In looking at Chuck's Guide there appears to be many different types of weapons to learn here. Does one need to learn all of these, or are there a few maybe that get used the most that I could start with?

Any advice much appreciated!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hey dburne...I started with dumb bombs then went on to JDAM/JSOW using the TPOD then the Maverick.

Have you spent time learning the very complex radar system and RWR along with the SCS and weapon designation? The best way is to go up with someone w/comms and you can cut the learning time down a lot!

Unfortunately I can't get people easily to fly 1 on 1 for that purpose...

Ok thanks for the tip! No only have done what I had listed so far, so have the rest to go including radar system etc.

I am doing each section over and over though many times till I am quite comfortable with each one.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ok thanks for the tip! No only have done what I had listed so far, so have the rest to go including radar system etc.

I am doing each section over and over though many times till I am quite comfortable with each one.

I did and am still doing constant reference to Chuck's and the stock manual. Once you get the knowledge then you have to work on warfare tactics, SA and so on...

Remember the best/fastest way to learn is to fly and do trial and error testing with one other person.

smartass.gif

There're plenty of great video tutorials on Youtube from Redkite, Jabbers, Spudknocker, Grim reapers, etc. Grim reapers alone put out some 54 tutorial videos on the Hornet. You could spend weeks if not months watching all these videos.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

There're plenty of great video tutorials on Youtube from Redkite, Jabbers, Spudknocker, Grim reapers, etc. Grim reapers alone put out some 54 tutorial videos on the Hornet. You could spend weeks if not months watching all these videos.

Then you have to go and actually try doing it. I find with another pilot working radar for example back and forth tells you a lot quick.

By the way, would you know if it's possible to know which plane is locking you up when you see a group of planes?

Edited by fitness88

By the way, would you know if it's possible to know which plane is locking you up when you see a group of planes?

As I understand it on the RWR page the aircraft symbol will have a semi circle above its identity of its emitting radar, when it locks your aircraft up you get a semi circle below too. So identity say "18' for an F18 would have a bracket above AND below if it's locked you. Only one above if emitting but no lock.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Yes thanks, I have been watching some videos as well.

Mostly I am using Chuck's guide in the Kneeboard as I have some memory issues, which helps as I can easily reference parts of the task I am learning.

Don B

I am currently learning Sidewinders w/ JHMCS. I use a mission in the Persian Gulf map for AIM-9X for this. One thing I have noticed is when I read through Chucks guide there may be 10-12 steps. But when I do the mission it only takes 3-4 to get going. I don't know if the plane in the missions is somewhat preset or what but it's a welcome surprise. One problem w/ this mission is it is me against 4 Migs and they are not far away, so I have to do the setup really quickly or I end up w/ a couple behind me. I bet over the weekend I flew that mission 50-60 times. I hit left shift-R to restart and just keep trying. I also hit pause pretty often to go back to Chucks guide or Youtube check some detail.

Yes thanks, I have been watching some videos as well.

Mostly I am using Chuck's guide in the Kneeboard as I have some memory issues, which helps as I can easily reference parts of the task I am learning.

Try to see if this Kneeboard Reference guide help you at least at this early learning stage, dealing with all the weapons systems.

I did that as a reference at the beginning of my journey in DCS and F18 and find it still useful in my KB, sometimes.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=247186

bye

Videos are the best to pick up knowledge. Someone mentioned several, I tend to use Wags and Redkite when a new system comes out. The tutorial/training flights are also good in the game. Then the GAW (Georgia at War) servers are good to test them since its against AI and people on the server are usually helpful if you have a question on a system in flight.

Kind of surprised that no one - except wrl11 - has mentioned all the excellent Wags’ Training Missions built into the module. They cover most weapons, and the interactive nature makes them a major boon to get up the learning curve.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Kind of surprised that no one - except wrl11 - has mentioned all the excellent Wags’ Training Missions built into the module. They cover most weapons, and the interactive nature makes them a major boon to get up the learning curve.

You would think it would be the first place to start. I have played through all of them 10-15 times...at least.

:thumbup:

No doubt, giving that for granted as first "checklist items" on new module learning process.

I am currently learning Sidewinders w/ JHMCS. I use a mission in the Persian Gulf map for AIM-9X for this. One thing I have noticed is when I read through Chucks guide there may be 10-12 steps. But when I do the mission it only takes 3-4 to get going. I don't know if the plane in the missions is somewhat preset or what but it's a welcome surprise. One problem w/ this mission is it is me against 4 Migs and they are not far away, so I have to do the setup really quickly or I end up w/ a couple behind me. I bet over the weekend I flew that mission 50-60 times. I hit left shift-R to restart and just keep trying. I also hit pause pretty often to go back to Chucks guide or Youtube check some detail.

Good to hear, thanks! Yeah I use active pause quite a bit whilst learning in VR, have Chuck's guide broken down into sections and in my kneeboard.

Don B

Try to see if this Kneeboard Reference guide help you at least at this early learning stage, dealing with all the weapons systems.

I did that as a reference at the beginning of my journey in DCS and F18 and find it still useful in my KB, sometimes.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=247186

bye

Grabbed it, thanks for the pointer!

Don B

Thanks, yes I had planned on starting on those soon as well was just trying to get my arms wrapped around the basics first. Will have a go with it.

Don B

It depends on the mission. The most flexible will be jdam and jsow. Harm for sead is pretty easy. Id learn either mavs or dumb bombs next. Harpoon dead last as it seldom gets used.

A/A sidewinders are mostly point n click. Amraams take a bit more atudy to use right.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

With so many iterations of various weapons and updated systems including Mavericks, S/A page, and complicated RADAR, I've gotten so confused and disillusioned that I had to take a break from the Hornet; needed some flying time with the old reliable A-10.

I wish there were some YT videos recently updated that could/would tie all this together.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

It depends on the mission. The most flexible will be jdam and jsow. Harm for sead is pretty easy. Id learn either mavs or dumb bombs next. Harpoon dead last as it seldom gets used.

A/A sidewinders are mostly point n click. Amraams take a bit more atudy to use right.

:thumbup:

Thanks so much, gives me some to focus on to learn. I was a little overwhelmed when I first started reading about all the different weapons.

Don B