Air Brake Toggle Key

Kayos

The speedbrake out-button gives you incremental extension of the brake every time you press it, while the in-button retracts the brake fully.

I don’t mind your suggestion but a toggle wouldn’t give you the same functionality, it wouldnt give you the option to extent the brake a little. As I understand it...

whats the name to bind the airbrake, i can't find it

Look at Controls Category : Throttle Grip, Hotas. Spd brk switch

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

I am sure they would be able to implement a seperate spd brake function for 100% extention/retraction. You might lose some functionality using it this way but i have to say i prefer having the option as currently i use two buttons on my cheap a** hotas to use the brakes where other aircraft only need one and i get on fine with them

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

If I understand correctly, you guys are asking for this because your controls don't have many buttons, is that correct?

If it is, have you guys tried modifiers?

Yes, I have done this since FC1. Is on the option page under modifier. With it I have 4 buttons of my Sidewinder precision 2 as modifier. That give me so many combination, I do not see a need to spend big bugs on a HOTAS... well than and my wife will kick me out if a come home with a 400 dollar joy stick :D

I use a cheap joystick and what I did was set up the buttons as modifiers, so by pressing, for example, button 3, the hat switch is used as a TMS, button 4, hat is DMS, etc. This allow me to have everything in the HOTAS plus more. I used this since LOMAC. As for remembering, when you are practicing to learn the aircraft, you will learn the set up, as long as you keep it the same for all the aircraft. For example in DCS, Black Shark and in FC1, FC2 and DCS Warthog, the same key combination slew the courser, same combination for chaff and flare and so on. You can also create a cheat sheet for yourself until you get used to it.

I do not own an X56, but with all the buttons on them, why do you guys have to write line in Notepad++? Wouldn't the modifiers be a lot easier?

I use a Thrustmaster T-flight stick X and I hardly use the keyboard for any aircraft. I turn buttons 5 to 10 as modifiers, with that and the hat switch alone I have 72 different commands.

For example on the A-10C ( another aircraft that allows partial speed brake) button 6 ( a modifier) and button 4 to open the speed brakes and button 6 and 3 to close them. I do the same for the F-16.

On the MIG-21, I do not even use the keyboard.

Just for example, modifiers can be any button that does not have anything else assign to them

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

If I understand correctly, you guys are asking for this because your controls don't have many buttons, is that correct?

If it is, have you guys tried modifiers?

Already using modifiers, but I try to restrict modifiers to certain usage modes, because once modifier is pressed, everything else is modified.

Let's say your hotas doesnt have a 2 stage trigger and you set your lasing to Mod+Trigger. Currently with this crazy development freeze, you have to hold lasing until bombs hit, so you hold modify throughout. If for some reason you want to zoom in or out, or whatever, then these buttons must also be assigned as modified, otherwise, while lasing you cant access them until the bombs hit. This is just an example among many others why one should avoid as much as possible to rely on modifiers.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Already using modifiers, but I try to restrict modifiers to certain usage modes, because once modifier is pressed, everything else is modified.

Let's say your hotas doesnt have a 2 stage trigger and you set your lasing to Mod+Trigger. Currently with this crazy development freeze, you have to hold lasing until bombs hit, so you hold modify throughout. If for some reason you want to zoom in or out, or whatever, then these buttons must also be assigned as modified, otherwise, while lasing you cant access them until the bombs hit. This is just an example among many others why one should avoid as much as possible to rely on modifiers.

I am not sure I can understand your logic - so instead of gaining the ability to use your trigger as 'lase' and accepting the limitations and working around them (i.e. setting appropriate zoom level before you begin lasing for the final 8 or so seconds of bomb fall - a period I am sure you can manage with one zoom level for), you are going to cut off your nose to spite your face and just 'avoid' modifiers as much as possible?

This is terrible advice, and used correctly modifiers can improve your DCS experience greatly. Every button on my throttle, VKB stick, 2x button boxes and ICP have modified functions - and I have never run into any issues or disadvantages - with a little forethought and planning. The issues I do have with my FSSB Lighting base, due to how it manages its features, I can't map modified functions to the stick using the pinky trigger as the modifier as I do - but I just deal with it and work around it - not 'avoid' modifiers altogether!

But hey you play how you wanna man, all gd - I would perhaps not caution everyone else to 'avoid' a very useful feature that most people are benefiting from with no problems.

In any case, back on topic - the Viper speed brake also has an extended SB function, with the gear down and the SB switch held in the extend position the SB is opened further past the limited 43 degrees, out to the usual 60 degrees if reqd. You would also lose this functionality with a SB toggle switch, possibly requiring to map it another button...so you are actually back where you started.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You know you can release the modifier after the action, and still have the action work until you let go of what ever switch/button you pressed?

• Like 1

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

You know you can release the modifier after the action, and still have the action work until you let go of what ever switch/button you pressed?

Ofcourse, but, as I said, IF FOR EXAMPLE, as had it before, the lasing was set to first trigger detent, and my HOTAS dont have 2 stage trigger, so lasing was MOD+Trigger. Currently the F-16 has no automatically lasing timer, so one must keep lasing until hit. Again, IF FOR EXAMPLE, for some reason, the user needs to do IF FOR EXAMPLE whatever, and this whatever isn't also a modified key assignment, then he needs to wait until he can release lasing. This, as I said, IS AN EXAMPLE of similar situations, therefore, one must avoid using modifiers as much as he can, FIRST assigning all his normal keybindings, and THEN use the modifiers as needed and as planned.

I am not sure I can understand your logic - so instead of gaining the ability to use your trigger as 'lase' and accepting the limitations and working around them (i.e. setting appropriate zoom level before you begin lasing for the final 8 or so seconds of bomb fall - a period I am sure you can manage with one zoom level for), you are going to cut off your nose to spite your face and just 'avoid' modifiers as much as possible?

This is terrible advice, and used correctly modifiers can improve your DCS experience greatly. Every button on my throttle, VKB stick, 2x button boxes and ICP have modified functions - and I have never run into any issues or disadvantages - with a little forethought and planning. The issues I do have with my FSSB Lighting base, due to how it manages its features, I can't map modified functions to the stick using the pinky trigger as the modifier as I do - but I just deal with it and work around it - not 'avoid' modifiers altogether!

But hey you play how you wanna man, all gd - I would perhaps not caution everyone else to 'avoid' a very useful feature that most people are benefiting from with no problems.

In any case, back on topic - the Viper speed brake also has an extended SB function, with the gear down and the SB switch held in the extend position the SB is opened further past the limited 43 degrees, out to the usual 60 degrees if reqd. You would also lose this functionality with a SB toggle switch, possibly requiring to map it another button...so you are actually back where you started.

You didn't even try to understand and is already jumping into conclusions. Difficult for me to even try to answer you.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Ofcourse, but, as I said, IF FOR EXAMPLE, as had it before, the lasing was set to first trigger detent, and my HOTAS dont have 2 stage trigger, so lasing was MOD+Trigger. Currently the F-16 has no automatically lasing timer, so one must keep lasing until hit. Again, IF FOR EXAMPLE, for some reason, the user needs to do IF FOR EXAMPLE whatever, and this whatever isn't also a modified key assignment, then he needs to wait until he can release lasing. This, as I said, IS AN EXAMPLE of similar situations, therefore, one must avoid using modifiers as much as he can, FIRST assigning all his normal keybindings, and THEN use the modifiers as needed and as planned.

You didn't even try to understand and is already jumping into conclusions. Difficult for me to even try to answer you.

Settle down mate

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IN YOUR EXAMPLE I can PERFORM those task without any issues. I USE MODIFIERS a lot and NEVER had any ISSUE by release the modifier for the second action.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+ 1 for air brake toggle, simple fully open / fully closed functionality. Thanks.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
=============================
Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz, 32Gb RAM// Radeon RX Vega // SSD only // Saitek X65F Throttle / TM Warthog FCS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Physical Cockpit // TrackIR or VR (HP R-G2)// Win10Pro 64bit //

• 9 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 12:50 AM, stormridersp said:

Again, IF FOR EXAMPLE, for some reason, the user needs to do IF FOR EXAMPLE whatever, and this whatever isn't also a modified key assignment, then he needs to wait until he can release lasing.

In my testing, you don't need to hold the modifier.  Once you press the desired button, you can release the modifier and the desired function (e.g. lasing) will continue as long a you hold the desired button. 

Edit: I see @=Panther= had already posted this. Sorry for the duplicate. 

Edited by Machalot

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

• 11 months later...
On 4/22/2021 at 6:11 PM, Reactivator said:

In BMS theres a simple solution. Extend when you hold button, and retract when you release.

This can be done by a simple modification in the default.lua found in the Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Input folder (something like that).  Find the line of code regarding the MOMENTARY speedbrake function, and change the value "0.0", to "1.0".  Make sure you backup your original default.lua file first, though!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 5:47 PM, SparkyTX76 said:

This can be done by a simple modification in the default.lua found in the Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Input folder (something like that).  Find the line of code regarding the MOMENTARY speedbrake function, and change the value "0.0", to "1.0".  Make sure you backup your original default.lua file first, though!!

Thanks, I'm going on holiday tomorrow and the only thing I will be able to think about will be trying this! 🤣

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, AirMeister said:

Because if it does not have it, have i accidently logged into the war thunder forums ?

No, because unless your HOTAS is a full F-16 cockpit you need to compromise sometimes.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files