(Old: AKAN sight too high NTTR) AKAN gunsight wrong ballistics

Noctrach

Hey, the AKAN sight is consistently resulting in rounds flying over target on NTTR (standard conditions).pkPe0M8.jpg

This is with master mode ANF, targeting mode ATTACK w/ NORM/SERIES, radar ranging used, trigger down when "wings" appear.

Rounds will overshoot with every dive angle or QFE setting.

Doing the same on Caucasus results in correct placement.

Edited by Noctrach

• 1 year later...
On 10/10/2019 at 11:55 PM, Noctrach said:

Doing the same on Caucasus results in correct placement.

Hmm, just tested this and rounds are falling consistently short on Caucasus. Can someone confirm?

I don't have NTTR installed, so can't test there.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same experience as Quigon, rounds have a tendency too fall short by some margin .On both Caucasus and NTTR.

In my personal opinion, the gunsight and firing cue could use a rework.

The firing cue seems to come too early which is why the rounds fall short . Yes there is the mention of a short delay between cue and trigger pull in system design, but I think that is only to account for human reaction time.

Presently you have to wait until shoot cue, then hold back for another one and half second or so( which is hard to estimate ,making accurate gun runs difficult) and then pull trigger to get the rounds on intended  target .

That is making the system error-prone, which doesn’t make sense.

It seems more logical to get the firing cue when you really have to pull the trigger right away, because that is a clearly defined point in time, not a guess the pilot has to make sometime after appearance of the cue.

regards,

Snappy 

• 1 month later...

Gun still consistently undershoots on Caucasus and NTTR.

What's interesting is that it hits pretty accurately on higher elevations (QFE 850 or less), but gets worse the closer you get to sea level QFE.

Seems there's something off in ballistic calculations for the gunsight.

ViggenAKANShort.trk ViggenAKANShort2.trkViggenAKANAccurate.trk

Edited by Noctrach
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Noctrach changed the title to (Old: AKAN sight too high NTTR) AKAN gunsight wrong ballistics
  • 2 months later...

Any official word on this? Just started flying the Viggen again and AKAN bullets is falling consistently short if you fire right when wings appear, Mode ANF, Radar ranging used.

Tested mostly on Syria map. Targets close to sea level.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

11 hours ago, chrisofsweden said:

Any official word on this? Just started flying the Viggen again and AKAN bullets is falling consistently short if you fire right when wings appear, Mode ANF, Radar ranging used.

Tested mostly on Syria map. Targets close to sea level.

I'll highlight this issue for the team to look at

• Like 1

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

8 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

I'll highlight this issue for the team to look at

Thanks Cobra! 🙂

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Snappy said:

@IronMike,

could this also be please be looked at with some priority. Cobra already wanted to highlight this, but there is still no fix to this old and annoying bug.

Kind regards,

Snappy

It is tracked already (hence I did not reply here anymore), we just have to get around to fix it and can hopefully include it in the bigger November push 🙂

• Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

15 hours ago, IronMike said:

It is tracked already (hence I did not reply here anymore), we just have to get around to fix it and can hopefully include it in the bigger November push 🙂

Thanks, that's good to hear, because this bug is one of the more frustrating examples. It's been around for at least 2 years and pretty much renders an entire weapon system almost completely unusable for 2 years now!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 months later...