Question - Ravcore Javelin (VKB Gladiator Mk.II) with guts from Thrustmaster t.16000m

Hello there!

I use Gladiator / Javelin for a long time. It was greate when I was playing Il-2 BOS and learning how to fly F-15 in DCS.

When F-16 arrive I know that I will need more 'control' over the virtual aeroplan. Lucky for me I get nice offer - TWCS & T.16000M for half the price.

Basically, I wanted only throttle but my friend gave up so right now I got one extra joystick... and crazy idea to creating something that will combine the functionality of the Gladiator (mass of buttons + grip that I love to use) with a very precise internal mechanism of T.16000M.

But before I start disassemble process, I would like to know if there is anyone here who has already tried to make something like this before... and how it's end after all.

Welcome to the forums ! Below is a link to our resident contoller Guru . What he doesn't know about controllers isn't worth knowing . Perhaps you could pm him . Click the "contact info" tab .

https://forums.eagle.ru/member.php?u=42524

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have both Gladiator Mk.II and T.16000M, some thoughts:

For me Gladiator KG-12A grip (3 buttons + POV HAT) has better functionality than T.16000M grip (4 buttons + POV HAT) because Gladiator has "pinky" button, that used as shift" give me more 2 virtual buttons plus 4 way virtual HAT. Twice if use Mode 2.

Gimbal and sensor in Gladiator Mk.II is better than in T.16000M - could be that in Javelin (OEM version) they are downgraded for lower costs.

OK, the above is matter of personal preference, so let's consider the practical aspects:

T.16000M has 12 buttons on base (6 in each side) plus 4 on grip plus POV HAT.

Gladiator has 13 buttons on base plus 3 on grip plus POV HAT.

So the "mass of buttons" is not the same? You will not just exchanging "six by half dozen"? :)

You can easily improve T.16000M grip installing a "pinky" button for use as "shift" (like in Gladiator).

Since their USB controller don't handle additional buttons, wire this button in parallel to one of base in right side (awkward to use). In the same way can add more buttons in grip "cloning" base buttons.

Example: https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/uploads/monthly_08_2015/post-683-0-56808800-1439970591.jpg

A "cloned" button will work in grip and/or in base, as you wish.

From technical point of view, T.16000M gimbal - compression spring ball, with one sensor for both axis is very different from Gladiator two springs "cardan" with one sensor per axis.

T.16000M gimbal is formed by upper and lower base case parts, you can't transplant this gimbal for Gladiator base, although can easily remove Gladiator gimbal from their base leaving a empty space, since is modular.

Ending need transplant parts of T.16000M base from inside Gladiator base - if are the needed space. Ironically the inverse operation - Gladiator gimbal in T.16000M base will be more easy to do, since is modular.

For DIY nothing is impossible, but need consider if the amount of modifications and work justify eventual benefit.

I think in suggest make both grip removable (like Warthog/VPC grips) and use one or another in T.16000M base, but this implicate in loose twist axes.

Edited by Sokol1_br