Upgrade for VR

Ginsu80

So, It's been two years since I built my computer, and I've had a Rift S since just after release. It runs 40 fps except on the ground or on a busy map where it chugs down to 25 every so often. I want to try and squeeze some more life out of my rig but I don't have much experience with VR. Current set up.

Core i7-7700k

Geforce GTX 1080ti

16gb of DDR4 3000

WD Black 1TB 7200rpm HD

I'm thinking of adding a

WD - Black SN750 NVMe SSD

or/and another 16gb of DDR4 3000

Anyone have suggestions for bumping up my VR performance?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Personally adding an SSD made a massssssive difference (improvement). I also upped my RAM to 32GB which helped, although not really sure in what way, it just runs better. MY CPU is a few generations old now, but any benchmark/review suggests I would only gain a modest improvement in processing speed (circa 10%) and to be honest I cannot justify all the additional cost to upgrade for so little gain?

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

I upgraded from a standard 1080 (not TI) and I personally felt it was a big step up. I cant quantify this with any data but the 'feel' was much improved. I qualify this with the fact that I have to save long and hard to be able to spend £750 on 'frippery' and I would do it again to experience the same level of upgrade. I realise this is is very subjective, but half of what we do in this hobby is subjective!

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

A SSD or NVME drive will help with loading times tremendously. Upgrading to a 2080 from your 1080ti is a bit of a lateral move to be honest. More RAM and make sure it's good fast RAM, will help. Going from the base profile to the xmp profile on my setup helped a lot

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Yep. Get the extra RAM plus the SSD. I hope you reinstall Windows as well on that SSD, correct? ;)

Whats your motherboard? Did you overclock your CPU (As you bought the K version...). Watercooled / AIO Cooler?

As stated above, don't get the 2080. Maybe if you find a cheap second hand 2080 TI, otherwise I would invest in more SSD and get rid of that spinning HDD completly :P

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Does an ssd improve gameplay performance much? I’m running dcs on a hdd too and can live with the load times but am after any in game performance boost I can get

You won't gain FPS, but you gain smoothness. You get SSD starting at 25$... So it should be a nobrainer. And once you have one for DCS, you will never want to go back... :pilotfly:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

So I got a 500gb M.2 SSD and 16gb more of ram last night. Moved DCS onto the SSD and loaded it up. Using the same mission, 476th NTTR with the 60 ranges loaded I got a little increase in FPS. On the ground at Nellis where I would get 20-25fps, maybe 30fps here and there I was getting 25-30fps pretty consistently. But, it doesn't feel like that. It feels like a big boost. It is muuuuuuch smoother, much more playable. Flying around is even better, even at the ranges with all the objects loaded. So even though on paper it wasn't much of a gain, objectively it was huge. I'll never go back to an HDD.

And loading times? What loading times.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would go with the NVME SSD.

Extra RAM can't hurt either.

My system is similar to yours (except a bit more recent CPU - i7 8700K, 32GB RAM and a NVME SSD) and I get around 45 fps with decent graphical quality (reduced shadows, 2x MSAA and HIGH view distance).

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Could you recommend an ssd please? Also does dcs benefit from being on the same drive as windows? And finally is it possible to just move dcs onto a new drive or does it all need to be re installed? I’m expecting the latter but would be great if not cause that’ll be a day spent downloading.

Thanks

I can tell you that the SSD made a huge difference. Also I just moved the files. So far no issues except my shortcuts had to be fixed. Probably not the right way to do it. The m.2 SSD has higher transfer rates than data I believe, I can tell you my load times are within 10 seconds instead of 4-5 min.

Edited by Ginsu80

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I’ve popped a Samsung one in my amazon basket with another 16gb of ram too. I had no idea they were so affordable. Ram not so much but hey ho.

So you just moved the dcs open beta folder over to the new one? I guess you left the user/saved games/dcs folder on your C: drive? That’s very handy as my internet connection where my pc sits is pretty awful so re downloading it all would take at least 24 hours

I’ve popped a Samsung one in my amazon basket with another 16gb of ram too. I had no idea they were so affordable. Ram not so much but hey ho.

So you just moved the dcs open beta folder over to the new one? I guess you left the user/saved games/dcs folder on your C: drive? That’s very handy as my internet connection where my pc sits is pretty awful so re downloading it all would take at least 24 hours

Just be sure to have your XMP profile loaded for you RAM.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I did that the day before yesterday when I realised my ram was not running at 3000mhz (and had been like that for the past year haha.)

Will I need to tinker with that again when I plug in the new ram o you think? Also I did notice in task manager that my ram was at most 64% when playing dcs (with 16gb) made me wonder if another 16 would make any difference is what I’ve got isn’t maxed out? But I bet there’s more to it than that, there usually is ;)

I can tell you that the SSD made a huge difference. Also I just moved the files. So far no issues except my shortcuts had to be fixed. Probably not the right way to do it. The m.2 SSD has higher transfer rates than data I believe, I can tell you my load times are within 10 seconds instead of 4-5 min.

m.2 is just the form factor. There is m.2 SATA, and m.2 NVMe, and yeah the latter is faster, but only in sequential read/write, which isn't what we typically do when gaming or during regular desktop usage. Random read/write is more important and NVMe drives are not much faster. I can't tell any difference between my NVMe and SATA drives apart from benchmarks or transferring very large files. He's better off getting a larger SATA SSD.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

I think the 1080ti is solid, it's just frustrating people post that they are getting 80+fps with systems that seem to be equal or close to mine. Feel like I have something holding me back.

You can get 80 with your system, I'm sure, but it depends a lot on situations, and settings.

Don't go bonkers witht he PD for instance, personally my best result the rift-s is PD of 1.3 and a smidge of AA.

A lot depends if you are loading up a busy missions, cold starting on tarmac next to 15 other AI, or are you firing up an empty free flight mission engines running at 10 angels ?

I have a mission for target practice that I start cold on a carrier, I get 80fps on the carrer deck np, but starting off at the blue airfield, forgetaboutit, 40 is the best I could even try to aim for, at least with any major stability.

Those who claim getting 80fps usually don't elaborate since they either know they are skewing game load to their claims favor, or simply are ignorant about the whole matter and never had the inclination to start off on a busy MP server, where they would be lucky to get 30.

Getting an SSD is a major boost, I get significantly less stuttering while flying on an SSD, it also more than halved my load times when loading a mission or connecting to a server.

RAM depends a bit, didn't notice too much moving from 16 to 32, but with 32GB you can max out the preload radius and that is a huge boost to image quality at least over distance.

I'm also hanging on to my 1080ti, It's just too much money for not enough major difference, for $1200+ I would want something to keep me in 80fps in all situations, and when the problem isn't even our GPU's for this matter why spend the money when we will see new cards come out in about 6-10 months.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.