VR or TrackIr?

seek

Up to you - people swear by both. I have both and rarely use VR. I love my TrackIR setup.

For me, TrackIR is very easy - I just put my hat on that has the clip, and I'm good to go. Getting VR up and running each time seems cumbersome, as is the device itself. With TrackIR, it is much easier to check your six. I can also still see/hear my wife/kid (that may be a pro or con depending on your perspective). I can also still see the keyboard, which is a big one for me. I'm also prone to motion sickness, which is a factor in VR but not TrackIR. I also have a 1440p ultrawide monitor which is awesome, so resolution is much better than current VR.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

TrackIR with a nice high resolution and refresh rate display.

VR isn't there yet and needs a resolution bump.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

personally I never got on to well with Track IR, I found the head movement between real life and on screen irritating, although I did use it for a few years. I switched to VR after borrowing a Rift from a friend. I recognize the limitations of VR but I accept it for what it is.

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

if you would like to "sit" in a life-sized cockpit, albeit perhaps not as high resolution as probably scaled-down images on a flat screen(s), and not be distracted by anything that ED haven't "drawn", including other inhabitants of your dwelling, then VR is definitely the way to go. :)

maybe get a demo first, perhaps with a friend or even at a store, and i am sure that you will see the potential.

fair enough, the early generation headsets might be a little behind monitors on the resolution front, but that resolution gap is getting smaller with each new headset and the immersion is still way ahead, for me at least, even with a now ancient Rift CV1,

What are your system specs?

That's the correct answer ! TrackIr cannot touch the immersion that VR offers . The ways it tricks your brain into believing that you are IN that cockpit and IN that world are far more profound than you think .

However , it requires at least a mid-range pc to run , and the higher-resolution heatsets require a high-range computer .

My TiR has been retired since i got my Rift , and i don't miss it at all .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I have both and prefer VR by a long shot. Be happy to send you my track IR I have no use for it if it is US domestic shipping. If you don’t like it just pass it along. PM me if you are interested. This isn’t a scam, I just hate seeing my stuff go to waste.

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

Depends on your budget, but if you're gonna VR get a gen 2 headset at the very least, Rift S, Reverb, Index, Cosmos with the Reverb offering the best resolution and clarity. With all of them you should be able to read HUD, instruments and still see a fair distance.

Of course it's not gonna beat 4K - it's more like 1080p up close and 730p for distance stuff. But man, nothing beats the immersion factor and wait until you sit in the cockpit of the F-16 with that canopy.

Track IR or VR.

Two totally different animals, really not sure why there should be a choice between the two.

Like your gaming on the monitor with high resolution/refresh rate? Track IR is good for following head movement albeit accelerated to give the sense of looking around.

Interested in going all in on immersion where you are literally in the cockpit with the whole world all around you, not to mention the true depth and height experienced? And maybe high resolution /graphics is not as important as maybe the feel of being in the world? Then VR well worth looking into albeit with lesser clarity/resolution.

After getting Track IR load up the Hornet on the Stennis and see how that catapult launch looks and feels? Probably not much different.

VR on the other hand? Ohhh baby...

Anyway, again very different things.

The real question is: Would I be happiest continuing to game on a 2d Monitor or in Virtual Reality?

And unfortunately no one can answer that but you once you have tried it.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I’m not convinced that VR will ever perform well enough in DCS or any sim. The graphics will always evolve to be more and more demanding. And it will always be easier to run 2D rather than 3D at high fps. Unless VR can easily perform well I don’t have the patience for it.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

If I were to get the VR do I need to buy anything else other then the headset?

No one using TrackIr puts their hand up to try to shade sun-glare on the instrument panel . Everyone using VR has-that's the level of immersion .

Down low , i always kept one eye on the altimeter using TrackIr . Not necessary in Vr because you can judge height visually .

Your system will work fine as is with a VR headset

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It's a tough question because it's a weird situation. I've had an Index for about a month. VR is simultaneously radically superior to, and significantly worse than, TracIR. If you just want to go out and fly around feeling as if you are in a real airplane, VR is fantastic. It's so similar to actual flying that I think you could do legit flight training with it. Administrative stuff like tanking, and pattern work (especially recovering on the Tarawa) are so much better that it's almost a different activity. But... If you want to fight; not so great. You better already know your cockpit because its hard to read anything. Even medium distance targets are blurry. Frame rates go way down and you'll have to make real compromises on eye candy.

I was going to return my Index. I felt like it was super cool but not quite there (this is true btw). RMA in hand I put my wife in VR in the back of a Tomcat. We did a short exposure flight; Launch, hit the tanker, watch the wings as you go supersonic, trap back on the Stennis. Her verdict was keep it. VR can be an almost disturbingly real experience but there are currently lots of compromises that have to be accepted to get there.

PS - obviously I kept it ;)

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

16GB DDR4 3000Mhz Memory

Realtek High Definition Audio

SanDisk Extreme PRO 960GB SSD

Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

You are good to go in VR with that set up. Just crank the i7 to 4.5GHz, it'll be happy at that :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

You can buy vr but d'ont sell trackir .

I have both and the fact in vr i don t see the keyboard Is very annoying ...i have voice Attack that Is good but at the Moment (Rift s) i think that vr Is good for simple flight not for aggressive Battle / dogfight.

Maybe in future with High resolution Will be different.

The mfd Is not very Easy to see .

Go to a friend and try the vr.

Inviato dal mio ASUS_X01BDA utilizzando Tapatalk

I was using Track IR with a 43" 4K monitor and then switched to the Rift S. Immersion was awesome but the relatively low resolution bugged me. Recently I switched to the Reverb and I think with this one the tradeoff between resolution and immersion is acceptable.

Since I bought the first VR headset I have never used TrackIR again. But I still have it.

I will say one thing against VR. It does automatically mean a lot of the game will be off limits due to bad performance which fluctuates from update to update.

For instance, I want to fly my spit on 'The Big Show' or the other campaigns but the performance is just not good enough. Trouble is once you've gone to VR for many people there's no going back.

But I really do sometimes wish that VR performance was better, so I could fly some of the wonderful campaigns. Multiplayer is awful performance wise (if the servers even show up) too, so when I do fly VR, it's always on very limited missions that I have designed myself, which has gotten a bit old after a few years...

Another big problem for WW2 is the AI which means some of the plane's basically don't work correctly but that's another gripe for another section of the forum.

Personally do think the developers should make AI a priority. Performance is not something I don't feel I have any right to demand because VR is very niche. But an AI that one cannot escape from at full throttle in a 190 after a vertical swoop down onto the target which happens to be an obsolete I-16?

Nah that needs to be adressed ASAP!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

VR and Track IR are like comparing apples to oranges. The level of immersion in VR is so....it is really hard to put into words for some one that has never experienced it. But Track Ir is great too. Though it can get really squirly sometimes. I now fly almost exclusively in vr but when I am training or messing with a new add on like voice attack/viacom I fly in track IR so I can look at tutorials. Either or though beat flying with keyboard or hat switches hands down.

That is a generous offer DucS2r.

I used TrackIR for years. It is better than just a monitor but in my opinion is far too expensive for what it is. There are equally good and less expensive alternatives now, such as Trackhat for instance and I would recommend checking those out. Having said that I’ve just received my Valve Index and have to say for immersion VR wins hands down for me. I’ve used a PSVR for Dirt Rally and other VR titles for a while now so VR is not all new to me. I know not everyone agrees and it is a personal choice. If your PC can handle it and you can afford it then I think VR is the way to go and if I was deciding on one or the other today I’d rather put my money towards VR over TrackIR.

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.