DCS F-16 questions

Vinny002

Finally got it working.

Now the problem is actually refuelling, worst is throttle, I cant find neutral throttle, the response on it is all over the place, tried changing it so curve is flatter near where I THINK neutral throttle is = No go, refuelling constantly aborted, just 1 knot difference and its instant abort, no way to have the tanker tell me his speed either so I'm left guessing, by the time I have the speed right and look at hud to check = altitude is wrong meaning speed is off, adjust altitude = speed is more off.

You need to practice formation flying before attempting to refuel.

In order to fly formation on an aircraft you don't need to know its speed or anything else about it, all you need to do is use your eyeballs and react to hold your aircraft stationary compared to the aircraft you are formating on. The only time knowing airspeed is useful is during the intercept so you can approach the tanker without too much of an overtake, but once you're close enough you look out the window at the tanker and then you don't look back inside the cockpit until its done.

During formation flying the stick and throttle are moving all the time... there is no such thing as "Neutral throttle" you will always be applying and removing power to hold position, sometimes very small amounts but if the throttle is staying in position for more than a second then you're doing it wrong. Changing power will change your altitude which will require a change in pitch etc etc. This takes a lot of practice. Just start by trying to hold position on the tankers wingtip.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a bug currently regarding SAI? It's stucked caged, it doesn't uncage like it used to when i pull it after recent updates

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there a bug currently regarding SAI? It's stucked caged, it doesn't uncage like it used to when i pull it after recent updates

Is not a bug, is working like the real aircraft. Simply rotate the knob clockwise until it uncages. To cage, pull the knob and rotate counterclockwise.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Is not a bug, is working like the real aircraft. Simply rotate the knob clockwise until it uncages. To cage, pull the knob and rotate counterclockwise.

Thank you!

What about the SIM mode? are they gonna implement this as well? have they announced anything about it?

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SIM mode? Not sure what we are talking about.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

You need to practice formation flying before attempting to refuel.

In order to fly formation on an aircraft you don't need to know its speed or anything else about it, all you need to do is use your eyeballs and react to hold your aircraft stationary compared to the aircraft you are formating on. The only time knowing airspeed is useful is during the intercept so you can approach the tanker without too much of an overtake, but once you're close enough you look out the window at the tanker and then you don't look back inside the cockpit until its done.

During formation flying the stick and throttle are moving all the time... there is no such thing as "Neutral throttle" you will always be applying and removing power to hold position, sometimes very small amounts but if the throttle is staying in position for more than a second then you're doing it wrong. Changing power will change your altitude which will require a change in pitch etc etc. This takes a lot of practice. Just start by trying to hold position on the tankers wingtip.

All great advice. I would add that with throttle inputs, you have to make them ahead of time compared to what you're seeing. For example, if I start getting to far forward, I reduce throttle, but more importantly, the moment my forward movement slows and stops, I am already increasing the throttle almost back to where it was in order to prevent me from sliding backwards and basically starting a PIO.

SIM mode? Not sure what we are talking about.

Master ARM switch, put it all the way down, it's the simulation mode, everything works as in arm mode (locking targets etc..) but the weapons won't fire. I guess it is not that important to implement it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've been doing some basic training in the Viper for the last week and I noticed that not all ILS frequencies can be entered in the DED (upon pressing enter, the frequency starts flashing)

Some ILS frequencies do work (like the one at Al Minhad PG), others don't (Al Dafra PG for instance). Could anyone explain to me why?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I've been doing some basic training in the Viper for the last week and I noticed that not all ILS frequencies can be entered in the DED (upon pressing enter, the frequency starts flashing)

Some ILS frequencies do work (like the one at Al Minhad PG), others don't (Al Dafra PG for instance). Could anyone explain to me why?

There is a mistake regarding ILS frequencies:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=265409

DCS Rafale - please :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

EEGS Mode for gun not looking correct

zLtXYh2

25qcss6

attachment.php?attachmentid=233943&stc=1&d=1587929202

This picture (above) is from a video where they show the radar assisted gun sight. When I do exactly like the video says this is what i get

attachment.php?attachmentid=233942&stc=1&d=1587929202

And this one below is when i go into Dogfight mode.

k3OnP1R

attachment.php?attachmentid=233941&stc=1&d=1587929072k3OnP1R

I was talking to some people in a few discords and one was thinking Im running an old version of DCS that doesn't have that new sight but Im running the steam version and update all the time. Can anyone help out as to what im doing wrong? This is the video I was learning from

${1}

Pretty sure it’s because you are not running DCS Open beta. The gun sight changed a while ago.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

What actual version are you running? 2.5.???

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

it says 2.5.5.41962 openbeta

That’s a very old open beta. Btw.

2.5.6.47404 Is the current version.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

it says 2.5.5.41962 openbeta

OK, that's quite an old OB. I'm pretty sure the change was made in the first 2.5.6 OB. See if you can update in Steam.

You can check which is the latest version (for both OB and Stable) here:

https://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Yes, and also look here https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/ for details of all changes.

If you look, you’ll see that the EEGS gunsight was introduced in the first 2.5.6 update.

Im aware a lot of players go down taxiways 40 knots and would tell me "40 knots" if i was asking "whats the F-16 taxi speed"?

So: "whats the real life taxi speed?" Roughly, on the straight taxi and in turns?

Gone for good.

So: "whats the real life taxi speed?" Roughly, on the straight taxi and in turns?

For the USAF

In Accordance With (IAW) Air Force Manual 11-2f-16v3

Note:

There are no releasability restrictions on this publication and can be found E-publishing.af.mil

3.3. Taxi and Arming.

3.3.1. Taxi Interval/Speed. Minimum taxi interval is 150 feet staggered or 300 feet in trail.

Spacing may be reduced when holding short of or entering the runway. Unless mission

requirements dictate, pilots will limit taxi speed to 30 knots, 15 knots over a raised cable, and

10 knots in turns. (T-1)

other countries may have different limits, nothing specific for the aircraft itself AFAIK.

To whom it may concern,

Nominal I'd say is 20kts, bracketing 15-25 if the airplane rolls that fast under own idle power. Get up to 25, brake to 15, repeat. I think you're allowed 50 or so taxi on a runway if that ever happens. Ramp is 10. Dash-1 also recommends turns at 5 when heavy.

30 seems quite fast but I guess reasonable but only on straight sections of taxiway far from traffic, obstacles, and turns. I know the system starts to do things at iirc 60 knots wheel speed so you definitely don't want to exceed that.

40 seems excessive. Brake energy is a takeoff safety issue and 40 knots is 4x the energy of 20 knots. Starting the takeoff roll with warm brakes could make the difference during a rejected plus. Plus tires don't like it either.

For the USAF

In Accordance With (IAW) Air Force Manual 11-2f-16v3

Note:

There are no releasability restrictions on this publication and can be found E-publishing.af.mil

other countries may have different limits, nothing specific for the aircraft itself AFAIK.

Thanks a metric ton :thumbup:

Gone for good.