Vive Cosmos Impressions and Problems

GunSlingerAUS

Hey guys

So my Cosmos has finally arrived! I used the original Vive and Rift, so the Cosmos is a big step up.

My first impressions in DCS are:

1.) It's very comfortable for extended periods of time once you've mounted it correctly. Finding just the right spot on your head takes quite a bit of trial and error, but it's easy to take on and off once you have done so. It also doesn't get too hot, and I was running it in a room with the heater cranked to 25C.

2.) The "Sweet Spot" isn't as bad as I'd heard. You still get a bit of blurring outside of the center point, but it's easy to adjust to - simply look moving your head rather than your eyes.

3.) The image quality is great for a HMD. Compared to the other headsets I've tried, it's light years ahead. I can basically read all instruments in the pit of my F-14, and easily keep track of a bogey in a knife-fight.

4.) The tracking is absolutely fine for DCS, and most other games. It uses in-out tracking, so there's no hassle of setting up external peripherals. Being able to look around my pit is simply amazing, as is the 1:1 movement of my head. It absolutely smashes my TrackIR out of the ballpark. The tracking of the hand controllers is actually surprisingly good, and I can easily hit buttons in the pit.

5.) Setup is an absolute breeze, taking about 10 minutes the first time, and then a minute or two thereafter when I want to change from seated gaming to room-sized gaming.

However, it's not without issues:

1.) Despite being the 2nd highest res HMD on the consumer market (Reverb takes that crown), it's still very low resolution compared to my 2560 x 1440p display. There aren't too many jaggies, and the screendoor effect is minimal, but it's still got a long way to go to beat a monitor. Even with the game rendering at 3840 x 2160, distant aircraft look like rather large dots at range, which morph into blobs, before becoming distinguishable as aircraft.

2.) It's super buggy with DCS. For some reason I'm currently unable to fly, as I've done something (not sure what) that has caused me to be unable to hit the FLY button on the starting briefing. I also can't hit the green OK button in menus - but everything else is fine. I think this may be a common VR issue though, as I recall having this happen with my Rift - I'D LOVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON A FIX!

3.) I'm stuck at 30fps, sometimes 45fps. This is very surprising given I'm running a top-of-the-line system (i9 9700K @ 5GHz,m 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti overclocked by around 10% in both core and memory, ADATA NVMe M.2 SSD). 45fps seems nice and smooth, but 30fps is a jerk-fest. I think it's simply a software issue though, as every other game absolutely purrs in comparison (btw, I get around 70-120fps when running at 2560 x 1440p, so should be able to get close to that). The display has a refresh rate of 90Hz, but for some reason I can't disable the v-sync, which is why it's stuck at a maximum of 45Hz or 30Hz. This is despite all v-sync settings in game and Windows being turned off.

4.) The integrated headphone sounds good, but the mounting clips are absolute rubbish, as they keep flipping up when they're not supposed to. Luckily I can remove these entirely and use my beyerdynamic MMX 300 headphones instead, which are vastly superior.

5.) Nearly every single VR game for Vive or Rift doesn't currently work with the Cosmos, as they don't support the Cosmos controllers. This should be an easy fix for developers though, so I expect this to change in the near future.

I paid AU$1300 for this HMD, primarily to fly DCS. Was it worth it? To be frank, probably not - the chunky graphics are going to take some getting used to. I think it may suit WWI and WWII sims better, so I'll be checking these out soon. However, the sense of immersion is absolutely second to none. The cockpits of the F-14 and F-16 look absolutely superb, as does most of the terrain. It's really only when looking at other objects, such as aircraft, vehicles, or buildings, that the low resolution becomes quite noticeable. I'm probably going to use it quite a lot for DCS, but also go back to my lovely 32" 1440p display, which also has a variable refresh rate.

So, there you go. Hopefully somebody can help with my weird UI issues, and ED can fix the fps problems. If you've got any questions, fire away!

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Thank you so much for posting this. I have a Rift S which I always knew would be a 1st baby step for me but I want something more.

I am wondering if the lower FPS is just due to having to push more pixels due to the higher resolution and not a software issue. When you say other games purr in comparison, are you talking about with VR or on the monitor?

Can you clarify - you say the cockpits look great - but also say other objects look clunky.

Thanks!

The Cosmos is calling to me from my Amazon account, would love to hear your additional comments!

Wow, I rather thought it would a true competitor with the hp reverb. Thank you for sharing. Glad i took the reverb. Maybe you can send it back. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

... For some reason I'm currently unable to fly, as I've done something (not sure what) that has caused me to be unable to hit the FLY button on the starting briefing. I also can't hit the green OK button in menus...

Maybe an issue caused by a relation between resolution settled in DCS menu, or desktop, used for mouse area, and the resolution in HMD or mirror ?

You can try, if this option is unticked, to tick "mouse cursor limited to game window" (sorry : from french translation) in DCS VR menu.

You can also try, when ingame with your HMD, to put the mirror on your screen to full screen, with Alt + Enter.

This way the mouse can't click anything else than ingame screen.

I hope you should be good with one or the other possible solution.

Maybe an issue caused by a relation between resolution settled in DCS menu, or desktop, used for mouse area, and the resolution in HMD or mirror ?

You can try, if this option is unticked, to tick "mouse cursor limited to game window" (sorry : from french translation) in DCS VR menu.

You can also try, when ingame with your HMD, to put the mirror on your screen to full screen, with Alt + Enter.

This way the mouse can't click anything else than ingame screen.

I hope you should be good with one or the other possible solution.

Set the resolution the same as your resolution pro eye and it should be fixed after restart.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Hey guys, to answer your questions and thoughts:

Firstly, thanks for the suggested solutions, but I'd already tried all of these to no avail. However, I think doing a clean reboot and then making sure I don't alt-tab out of the game is a temporary fix for the mouse issues. Still working on the FPS issue, but I think ED will have to patch the game to get around the V-sync being stuck on.

Flameout, as for your questions:

I am wondering if the lower FPS is just due to having to push more pixels due to the higher resolution and not a software issue. When you say other games purr in comparison, are you talking about with VR or on the monitor?

I'm talking about other games and DCS when it's running properly. The increase in resolution is tiny for my RTX 2080 Ti when compared to my 2860 x 1440 monitor, as I've tested my PC running at 4K resolution, where it still hits over 60fps minimum in DCS. So it's definitely some issue with the game itself.

Can you clarify - you say the cockpits look great - but also say other objects look clunky.

The cockpit is very readable, while the environment looks good - basically anything large is nice and clear, but when it has to render smaller objects such as other aircraft, buildings, pilons, etc, the limitation in resolution is obvious. However, if you're coming from a Rift CV1, the increase in resolution is absolutely massive - I could never play DCS with my original Rift as I hated the decrease. But I think I'll try DCS more with the Cosmos.

As for whether it's worth buying, that's totally up to you, but it is indeed a huge upgrade over the Rift. At the same time, I miss the razor sharp quality of my monitor.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Hey guys

So my Cosmos has finally arrived! I used the original Vive and Rift, so the Cosmos is a big step

1.) Despite being the highest res HMD on the consumer market, it's still very low resolution.

Sorry bud, the Reverb holds that crown - and is $300AUD cheaper.

Sorry bud, the Reverb holds that crown - and is $300AUD cheaper.

Oops, you're correct, so I've corrected my post. I've read mostly negative feedback though regarding the Reverb - small sweet spot, bad mura and other issues - which is why I didn't go for this product. I'd love to hear your thoughts though, as I'd kill to have a super high-res HMD. This review in particular guided my decision, as the Road To VR guys know their HMDs well: https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-review-vr-headset/

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

Oops, you're correct, so I've corrected my post. I've read mostly negative feedback though regarding the Reverb - small sweet spot, bad mura and other issues - which is why I didn't go for this product. I'd love to hear your thoughts though, as I'd kill to have a super high-res HMD. This review in particular guided my decision, as the Road To VR guys know their HMDs well: https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-review-vr-headset/

It rocks. Just google youtube reviews about the Reverb. For sit down simmers it can't be beat but is meh as a room scale VR experience, which is my experience too, mainly due to the mediocre controllers.

In fact that site you linked also has a Cosmos review - https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-cosmos-review/ and it seems that the Cosmos' sweet spot is probably smaller than the Reverb, with mura/aberrations/all problems inherent with VR headsets still present (and yes, they're present in the Reverb too).

But what that review does admit about the Reverb is clarity - There’s no doubt that Reverb’s displays are very sharp, and very pixel dense. It’s impossible to focus on a single pixel, and the screen door effect (unlit spaces between pixels) is on the verge of being difficult to see. It has the best resolving power of any headset in its class, which means textures, edges, and text are especially crisp.

Which is all that matters to sit down simmers. Here's some more reviews from a simmer's pov -

- Cmdr Exigeous for ED.

- AussieStig for car simming.

and
Mixed Reality TV, not really simming but he does do a DCS review, jsut skip to the conclusion.

- simmer compares to Rift S.

The Reverb does have downsides but visual clarity ain't one of them. It's $300 less than the Cosmos, $350AUD more than the Rift S and likely $1kAUD less than the Index. That price point is a major selling point for the clarity and type of gaming we do. If I was room VR'ing then I'd probably go for the Index or even Rift S.

Edited by WynnTTr

Mate, you've convinced me! I've just purchased a Reverb, and will be returning my Cosmos ASAP. Thanks for prompting me to head in the HP direction.

I'm sorry you are having problems. After a week with mine, I have no issues and love it. I took the face padding off and can put on the cosmos with my glasses no problem. With 1 PD everything is clear and I can read all the gauges except some of the super small ones. I have no mouse or menu issues, so unfortunately I don't have a solution for that.

The sound is good, not sure what you mean by the headphone mounting brackets flipping up, haven't experienced that.

I did have to turn things down slightly, but I can get 45fps on the ground and it just goes up from there. I'll try it online this weekend and see how that goes.

As for other games not working, well you have dcs what else do you need?

if only starcitizen used Vr like they said it would.

Overall, no complaints except the price.

9900k @4.8, 2080ti and running dcs on a wd black m2

Mate, you've convinced me! I've just purchased a Reverb, and will be returning my Cosmos ASAP. Thanks for prompting me to head in the HP direction.

Thats a bit of a shame with the Cosmos. After using the Vive Pro, very happily, for 8 months I was expecting a good high end product from HTC. It could also just be early day teething problems too.....they all have had some issue or two.

I too ended up going the reverb route as I got sick of waiting for the Cosmos and Valve wont sell us the Index. But one issue is, now when I look up at vapour trails on tankers and C17s at 10 to 15k alt etc I seem to get double vision or quadripple vision with the vapour trails instead of just one white line........oh....hang on.....thats the individual engine trails......sorry my bad!!! :megalol::pilotfly::joystick::doh:

Most of the issues with the Reverb are quite minor and most of the reviews tend to be over picky in the earlydays.

Yes there is Mura in monotone scenes but its very lightweight to wear and comfortable with no godrays. Stickon ceiling hooks fix the heavier cable issue. Shimming the mask back an extra 4mm with a bit of velcro or stick on foam door trim will improve the sweet spot back to similar to most other headsets.

I think you will be happy....plus HP support is on the ball unlike tales of HTC support. Just an fyi re sales and support......I ordered mine on a Wed morning and was in sim flying by lunchtime on Fri......and it had to be delivered to rural Qld. Any issues just pm me for settings etc.

P.S. Doing room scale wont be an issue with the Reverb's mediocre controllers as you already have Lighthouse and Vive controllers which can be run very well together in about 90% of games using an app (OpenVR SpaceCalibrator)that allows compatability. Unless of course you sold them?

Edited by Macka
Speelingg

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Just a quick update until I have time to post in detail. I've swapped to the Reverb, and it's by far superior to the Cosmos for DCS. The resolution increase can't be understated, and DCS is now actually playable in VR for me. There simply isn't any competition if you're looking for a seated VR simming experience. I am having some issues though, but will make a separate post about these.

• 10 months later...
Just a quick update until I have time to post in detail. I've swapped to the Reverb, and it's by far superior to the Cosmos for DCS. The resolution increase can't be understated, and DCS is now actually playable in VR for me. There simply isn't any competition if you're looking for a seated VR simming experience. I am having some issues though, but will make a separate post about these.

Hey buddy, I'm about to pull the trigger on a new HMD to replace my vive, was focused on the cosmos/reverb also. How has it been for you since you swapped over? And what were the issues you saw? Thanks

Intel i9-10900K 3.7GHz

RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC

G. Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz (32GB)

Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2 (1TB)

HTC Vive

X56 Hotas

MX Ergo

Hey buddy, I'm about to pull the trigger on a new HMD to replace my vive, was focused on the cosmos/reverb also. How has it been for you since you swapped over? And what were the issues you saw? Thanks

According to most of the review the cosmos is complete garbage, the g2 is the way to go , there is no need for further investigation at all;)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

• ED Team

Ive been using the vive cosmos for a while, been great for me in DCS.

Controller tracking is poor, not so much of a problem for me in DCS.

I have already prepurchased a reverb G2, waiting patiently for it to drop on my door step :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
:)

Leaks say October now, they were quick enough to take the money from my account :) :lol:

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

same here, its not a rumor, well I count an email from the company telling me it was going to be October and not september as more than a rumor...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• ED Team
same here, its not a rumor, well I count an email from the company telling me it was going to be October and not september as more than a rumor...

and seems improved lenses have been mentioned.

and seems improved lenses have been mentioned.

yep, which is interesting as they were already meant to be better than existing lenses ... i actually don't mind the wait for a better quality product

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• ED Team
yep, which is interesting as they were already meant to be better than existing lenses ... i actually don't mind the wait for a better quality product

Agreed, I am even more hyped now.

Leaks say October now, they were quick enough to take the money from my account :) :lol:

Amazon takes the money only when they ship....

I don’t know if amazon spain still offers it at 599 but I preordered there..

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest Pro  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, F-16EX Grip, Orion 2 Base, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Amazon takes the money only when they ship....

I don’t know if amazon spain still offers it at 599 but I preordered there..

Same here, preordered on Amazon Spain for 599€ and they haven't charged my bank account yet.

I just checked totday, and unfortunatetly for those who haven't preordered yet, the price rose up to 699€...

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai