F-16 cockpit needs DX boards

Firebird1955

I currently have a 1:1 F-16 cockpit that has been used for the other F-16 simulation for years, but I have come into a dilemma. I need to get the xkeys boards replaced with DX input boards and was wondering what everyone is using here to work through DCS BIOS. I have a Pokey 57U and some other stuff (JShepard) that I have collected but never really implemented since the current system works. Now without keystrokes, I Find it difficult to get switchology working.........lol. My extent of DCS BIOS knowledge stops at programming a Saitek unit so not sure how to proceed. If all else fails, I can do the RTFM thing, just wanted so get a head start.

Thanks

System Specs: System Specs: MSI Tomahawk Z590 wifi, I9 11900K Processor, 64gb Corsair Vengance 3600mhz ram, 3080 Nvidia Video Card, Windows 11 Pro, 2 Samsung NVMe SSD (2tb and 1 tb), Valve Index VR system

I am using Leo Bodnar cards for switches and Arduino for leds. Bodnar cards have unique serial numbers so they don’t rearrange themselves and allow switches to be used across modules by assigning them in game. DCSBios works well with Arduino. For me using Arduino/DCSBios for switches made for a one plane pit, Unless you want to flash all your Arduino cards when changing modules.

There is definitely 100 ways to skin this cat. I have one xkeys matrix board from years ago. If you assign keyboard commands in the game for the switches you want to activate you should be able to use your xkeys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will DCS BIOS actually create a keystroke for items that do not have one in control panel? I have a plasma MM I have a plasma MM 2 from Leo but unfortunately those are hard to come by. Thanks for the input

System Specs: System Specs: MSI Tomahawk Z590 wifi, I9 11900K Processor, 64gb Corsair Vengance 3600mhz ram, 3080 Nvidia Video Card, Windows 11 Pro, 2 Samsung NVMe SSD (2tb and 1 tb), Valve Index VR system

In the simplest of terms, DCSBios provides a library of commands for you to choose from. You attach your switch to one of the Arduino pins and ground. You then upload a sketch of the DCSBios commands to the Arduino you have attached to. In the sketch you specify what pin is associated to the switch you want to activate. You cut and paste the command lines to your sketch and fill in the pin assignments.

It will take some time for a library to be created for the F-16 in DCSBios by one of the talented folks here on the forums.

FusedSpine33 - Are you using the Bodnar cards to interface with DCS-BIOS, or just the Bodnar mapped to keys?

I am looking for a way to build cockpit interfaces in DCS without using DCS-BIOS.

I am using Bodnar for switches so I can use and assign all of them across every module. 3 BBI-64 and 3-BU0836x. That’s the number I am at so far. I am using Arduino and DCSBios for the LED indicators.

I am still working on learning and understanding this thread to modify the .lua file to use less inputs. For me hardware is easy and software is hard. You can edit commands to allow a toggle to combine commands with press and release. Toggle up-gear up, toggle down-gear down, using an on/off switch and only one input on the card. Currently I have been using on/on switches and two inputs on the cards.

These edits also remove out of sync switch positions between your pit and what’s on screen in DCS.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226

I picked Bodnar because they have individual serial numbers so each card is always recognized and button assignments never get swapped between them.

I also bought but haven’t tried a Phidgets64 card to run the LEDs. That would be configured thru Helios. This might make LEDs less module specific than DCSBios.

This project is never ending as far as tweaks/changes go.

I will never say this is the best way, just the way I picked for what I wanted out of my build.