[LATER IN EARLY ACCESS] Emergency Jetison stores and drop tanks

rolemodel

I hit my emergency jetison stores button and it doesn't do anything. Am i doing something wrong to achieve this? Often I am trying to drop the fuel tanks. Does anybody know how to do it?

-I see this is a known issue currently. Mods feel free to delete this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
For me this is the biggest single missing feature for the Viper. You can't fly a long mission and drop the tanks when they are empty, makes quite a lot of missions hard to complete.

This needs a quick solution. Not being able to drop everything or anything makes it very hard to PLAN missions too.

I mean...even a half-assed rigged version would do for now...we gotta be able to drop stores.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The fact that we can't jettison stores and that the VIPER came out without a radar gun pipper show us that we don't have an early access viper but a prehistorical one.

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

For me this is the biggest single missing feature for the Viper. You can't fly a long mission and drop the tanks when they are empty, makes quite a lot of missions hard to complete.

AFAIK, IRL you don't jettison the tanks unless you actually have to, i.e. in an emergency, being engaged etc. Otherwise you fly with them empty and bring them back to base. So it's only an issue in cases that you need to perform ACM or otherwise utilize the full maneuverability of the aircraft.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

AFAIK, IRL you don't jettison the tanks unless you actually have to, i.e. in an emergency, being engaged etc. Otherwise you fly with them empty and bring them back to base.

So true, we all know that. Those things are expensive.

So it's only an issue in cases that you need to perform ACM or otherwise utilize the full maneuverability of the aircraft.

THIS ^^^^^^^ is the problem. We have no ability to do that. Like I said...it's fun to fly around and all...but being unable to say fuggit to A-G jobs and go cat1 in a split second is a real issue. I get jumped by a modern mig or an f5...I just quit if I have bombs hanging or tanks...usually have an asymmetrical load too after a few bomb runs...

I know it's early access but damn...common. make it so all stores disappear other than guns if that's easier for now! Better than having a 2000lb bomb on one wing, two empty tanks, and sidewinders you can't get turned around fast enough to do anything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AFAIK, IRL you don't jettison the tanks unless you actually have to, i.e. in an emergency, being engaged etc. Otherwise you fly with them empty and bring them back to base. So it's only an issue in cases that you need to perform ACM or otherwise utilize the full maneuverability of the aircraft.

So my understanding is a little different, as I understand it IRL they don't drop the tanks without a good reason, but they absolutely will drop them if they need to. So going into a significant BVR engagement is a good reason since the drag of the tanks really affects speed, and speed is critical in BVR. You'd obviously drop them if you are engaged WVR and need to dogfight.

You might also drop them if there's a significant risk you might suddenly need to pull a lot of G to avoid a SAM that is currently locking you. Or if you're about to go NoE and really need to cut the drag to save on fuel, or if there is significant risk of MANPADs you might need to avoid during a pop-up attack.

These kinds of situations happen a lot in simulated engagements. Not being able to drop the tanks in these situations is a real hindrance .. so much so that our group currently just runs without tanks since you can't drop them if you need to.

As such I'd actually want selective jettison to be implemented more than emergency jettison. Emergency jettison is used in emergencies, selective jettison is used more often.

So my understanding is a little different, as I understand it IRL they don't drop the tanks without a good reason, but they absolutely will drop them if they need to. So going into a significant BVR engagement is a good reason since the drag of the tanks really affects speed, and speed is critical in BVR. You'd obviously drop them if you are engaged WVR and need to dogfight.

You might also drop them if there's a significant risk you might suddenly need to pull a lot of G to avoid a SAM that is currently locking you. Or if you're about to go NoE and really need to cut the drag to save on fuel, or if there is significant risk of MANPADs you might need to avoid during a pop-up attack.

These kinds of situations happen a lot in simulated engagements. Not being able to drop the tanks in these situations is a real hindrance .. so much so that our group currently just runs without tanks since you can't drop them if you need to.

As such I'd actually want selective jettison to be implemented more than emergency jettison. Emergency jettison is used in emergencies, selective jettison is used more often.

We're saying the same thing, mate. I also said that you only drop them if the situation demands you to be either lighter, have less drag or be more maneuverable, I was just more general. In any event, I don't really consider the F-16 mission capable right now. It's fun for very predetermined missions without surprises, but can't really fulfill the "multirole" aspect in a single sortie.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

We have no ability to do that.

I feel you man, it's quite limiting. The F-16 is fine for pure CAS in an uncontested airspace or if the enemy air is easily taken care of, but it's not fully mission capable, at least in my opinion. The AIM-9X is definitely useful here, but after a point, you need maneuverability. Let's say that I don't feel helpless if a MiG-29 comes my way, but I'd feel much better knowing I can get shed all the extra weight if need be. Not too big of a deal for me though, I just design appropriate missions and the Viper hasn't been out for even two weeks. S-J and E-J can't come soon enough though...

-