Windows Mixed Reality Native Support in DCS World

MonnieRock

Windows Mixed Reality Native Support in DCS World  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Windows Mixed Reality Native Support in DCS World

Actually reset view and test mouse are directly related to steam VR. as it is the bridge between WMR - Steam VR-- DCS that causes this issue.

Same with the on/off headset. the interaltion between WMR and steam VR is where the issues this solves come from.

Like I said first world problem and not a complaint. This is a wishlist forum and I would love to see native WMR support.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

+1

DCS really should have native OpenXR support. 

With then release of headsets like the Reverb G2, and the increased effort from MS on OpenXR with improvements and new features for MSFS and Squadrons, it would seem like we're missing out a bit. 

Having SteamVR in the loop adds a whole layer of unnecessary abstraction for WMR users who have to run two VR apps simultaneously to get DCS to run.

If DCS is going to take VR seriously there really should be native support for the major headsets.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
People tend to forget that steam super sampling gives better performance than DCS pixel density setting, and if DCS goes native WMR, you are stuck with PD.

Also I don't get what problems you get when starting DCS.
1. Launch WMR
2. Launch DCS
Done, everything else starts automatically.

With openxr you can install the openxr developers tool and adjust SS just like in steam/openVr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

OpenXR instead please. Little point in doing all APIs directly when OpenXR provides a pathway to ALL of them, including the ones not even invented yet. How efficient it is handled by each API will remain part of the companies that do provide their API and their respective OpenXR implementation, but it makes it a lot easier on ED's side to maintain it. 

Edited by mhe

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, rkk01 said:

I see Reverbs come with or without controllers - I’m guessing that with a HOTAS set up the controllers are pointless for DCS / flights sims...???

Yes. I got mine without controllers as well: no point paying € 100 extra for something I have no use for 😉

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Thanks, that’s useful...

Tempted by the new Reverb - I guess once using the VR set, then mouse and keyboard  become very difficult to use???

I do tend to use a mix of keyboard and clickable cockpit controls... presumably the FC3 planes are next to unflyable in VR?

On 3/12/2021 at 7:51 PM, rkk01 said:

Uninformed / numpty question....

I see Reverbs come with or without controllers - I’m guessing that with a HOTAS set up the controllers are pointless for DCS / flights sims...???

If you only use VR for flight sims, then you can just about live without them. Having said that, lots of users use controllers rather than mouse in cockpits. And, there is a world outside of DCS, believe it or not!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

5 hours ago, rkk01 said:

I guess once using the VR set, then mouse and keyboard  become very difficult to use?

Mouse - not really. I use a trackball though with a scroll ring, for added immersion when turning knobs in the cockpit.

Keyboard - depends. I don't use a (regular) keyboard at all, but I do use a keypad (Razer Orbweaver) for various macros. I use its buttons by touch and muscle memory.

I don't fly FC3 myself but yes since they are designed with heavy keyboard use in mind they won't be very userfriendly in VR.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 6 months later...