TM F18 Stick Grip Wobble

SGT Coyle

I have a loose connection where the black grip and the mounting shaft meet. Not in the mounting nut. The connection to the base fits very tight, but the play still exist in the grip. It's not severe, but my experience with these things is, they only get worse with time.

The looseness is only in the back and forth direction. Not a great deal of play, but just enough to be annoying. :joystick:

That is what I reported to Thrustmaster Customer Service today after an initial phone conversation. Apparently I'm the first to have this issue.

Ya me!

Thought I'd put this here in case others experience this as well.

An FYI. Warranty for those of us outside the EU only have a 1 year warranty from the time of purchase. So if you have an issue don't hesitate to inform them an get it documented.

• Like 1

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

You are not the first person to experience this. I had the same issue.

On the metal grip there are 3 screws, unscrew them and pull the pin out from the paddle switch. The metal grip will now split in half; take the cover off.

Just like the WH, there is a grounding hex screw that holds the silver shaft to the metal base. Just tighten this. Mine was not screwed in fully. I added a little adhesive (that loosens when heated) to keep it from loosening, but it's not needed.

Reassemble... and bam. no wobbling

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great, the first TM FA-18C grip I ordered had to be replaced because the buttons were sticking, and now I'm having this issue with the replacement after just a few weeks. 

So, just to be clear, there are three allen screws holding the the grip handle together, one just behind the paddle switch, another about an inch back and up from that one, and a third screw up by the weapon select switch - is that correct?

I'm a little nervous about attempting this because I had a bad experience performing surgery to smooth out the ball and re-grease my old, sticky Warthog base. I can't remember exactly what happened now but I managed to ruin it, had to buy a new one. Hopefully this won't be as tricky...

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

Found disassembly pics here: TM F/A-18C Hornet grip disassembly and OTTO upgrade - Page 3 - Thrustmaster - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

I feel a little better about it now👍

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

• 2 years later...

After 4 years of use, I'm now having this issue with stick wobble in Pitch motion.

Does anyone have the size of the screws used on the F18 grip?

One of mine looks almost stripped from what I can see so far, have not opened the grip as yet.

• 5 months later...