Vive Pro Eye for DCS

BaD CrC

https://enterprise.vive.com/us/product/vive-pro-eye/

This eye tracking feature is really promising, but I suppose it needs to be supported by the software that will then draw a precise picture where the user is looking at, and a low resolution one for his peripheral vision?

This could potentially make a huge difference for the game performances.

Ah yes the oft promised but never actually delivered Foveated rendering that will "solve" all VR problems. Its vapor ware. All the current eye tracking tech can do is automagically adjust your IPD on some headsets, and then it can project your eye position to a VR avatar. No one is doing FR at this point outside of a lab.

I fully expect to see Vulkan and a bunch of other stuff in DCS long before foveated rendering.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think foveated rendering without an increased resolution and PPI

makes little sense. Vive Pro does not have a very high resolution so I think they can render the fovea as much as they like it will not increase the pixel density nor take away the screen door effect.

Ah yes the oft promised but never actually delivered Foveated rendering that will "solve" all VR problems. Its vapor ware. All the current eye tracking tech can do is automagically adjust your IPD on some headsets, and then it can project your eye position to a VR avatar. No one is doing FR at this point outside of a lab.

I fully expect to see Vulkan and a bunch of other stuff in DCS long before foveated rendering.

i might be wrong, but i think there is a huge missconception regarding foveated rendering and eye-tracking.

i'm not even sure if this is done "in a lab" somewhere. in fact i have never read anything about some dev trying to do dynamic FR with eye tracking.

one obvious problem would be, that you would first have to detect where the player is looking and then change the FR, which should result in some latency, where your view sharpens up only after a frame or two.

not sure how immersive this would be.

but i'm not saying, that this is impossible, only that i have never read anything about it being actually being implemented and that i have my doubts, that it would be that useful.

however, there is a great benefit of foveated rendering in VR without eye tracking. additionaly to how FR is already utilized in some non vr games, in vr you can additionaly cater for the lens resoulution and pp distortion correction, to deliver optimal resolution without "wasting" resolution on parts that would either get squeezed from lens correction, or would simply suffer from lens edge detail loss.

Edited by twistking

Deleted....double post

Edited by Macka
Double post

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

i might be wrong, but i think there is a huge missconception regarding foveated rendering and eye-tracking.

i'm not even sure if this is done "in a lab" somewhere. in fact i have never read anything about some dev trying to do dynamic FR with eye tracking.

one obvious problem would be, that you would first have to detect where the player is looking and then change the FR, which should result in some latency, where your view sharpens up only after a frame or two.

not sure how immersive this would be.

but i'm not saying, that this is impossible, only that i have never read anything about it being actually being implemented and that i have my doubts, that it would be that useful.

however, there is a great benefit of foveated rendering in VR without eye tracking. additionaly to how FR is already utilized in some non vr games, in vr you can additionaly cater for the lens resoulution and pp distortion correction, to deliver optimal resolution without "wasting" resolution on parts that would either get squeezed from lens correction, or would simply suffer from lens edge detail loss.

We already have a form of adjustable fixed foveated rendering for DCS VR in Kegety's Shader Mod.

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol: