ROE Question - WEAPONS HOLD, RETURN FIRE

TheHighwayman

I am mapping out a mission, but before I get too far into it, I need to know what Weapons Hold and Return Fire do.

I have read what they claim to do in the Hoggit Wiki, but I want to verify that they work as advertised. I read that the ROE overrides all else.

The mission I want to create has the pilot flying against an enemy with a strict Weapons Hold or Return Fire ROE. Would it be true (does it really work in the editor) that if I get behind an armed aircraft with such a restrictive ROE, and go so far as to lock it on up, it still will not fire?

If I do fire on it, and it is set to HOLD, will it still hold fire? I assume Return Fire ROE means it will absolutely shoot back.

I am asking the question for anyone who may have tested this previously. My hope is to save time so when I sit down tonight, I can proceed with planning and work this out. If I do not have any answers, I will test this myself later and answer the question below for the benefit of all. However, if someone knows, I will appreciate the response!

Thanks!

Okay, I tested this.

WEAPONS HOLD causes the AI to fly like a drone. Very easy to shoot down with guns.

RETURN FIRE does nothing at all. I was shot down without even maneuvering or turning on my radar. It seems broken.

Now, I could be wrong, and if so, I welcome the correction. The problem is, I want to create a mission where the AI does not react until you fire, and with the logic broken (seemingly) I will have to find another way to simulate the effect.

Additional comments welcome.

You can do this by changing the RoE state when a shot event occurs. If the player will be the only one to shoot this can be easily done in the ME with a ONCE trigger using the ON SHOT event.

If there may be shots fired other than the player, you need LUA scripting to do the same as above, only you'll have to detect a shot event from a specific aircraft (the player). I'm pretty sure there was an example posted in this section of the forums not too long ago.

EDIT

Here is the thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=245835

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Thanks for the reminder. In my tests, it was the only action assigned. I just cannot fathom wht Return Fire did not work at all.

Your questions makes me think about my test...

Could it have to do with reaching a waypoint? In other words, does the final waypoint (if still airborne) also terminate all ROE/action orders, or do the last orders remain in effect indefinitely? Maybe I need to redo my test with more waypoints?

• 4 months later...

Hi there.

I'm editing a mission where I have two flights orbiting on station. I set ROE as "WEAPONS HOLD/RETURN FIRE" but they are engaging the targets.

I added radio item (F10 Other) to set the flag to true to stop the orbits on "STOP CONDITION" and ROE as "WEAPONS FREE" in the next steerpoint.

I would like to know what I'm doing wrong?

Best regards.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

Be advised for ships return fire works as advertised. If you set ROE Return fire for ships they wont shoot back unless they are attacked or it appears they are about to be attacked because an enemy AC is flying too close (Not sure the exact distance).

Be advised for ships return fire works as advertised. If you set ROE Return fire for ships they wont shoot back unless they are attacked or it appears they are about to be attacked because an enemy AC is flying too close (Not sure the exact distance).

I added an red AWACS at 100 nm north on iranian territory. The F-15C, in orbit, started to engage with ROE "WEAPONS HOLD" and "RETURN FIRE".

For me, this option have some bug or it's not implemented as should be.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

I added ROE "WEAPONS HOLD" to red AWACS, the blue fighters with "WEAPONS HOLD" and it worked fine.

I think the AWACS without "WEAPONS HOLD" tracks all enemy contacts and it's consider some kind of threat for them, I don't know.