What to buy?

bertux25

hi, I would like to start in the VR word. Mainly for use in simulators like DCS, ED, SC...

would like to know what are your recommendations, money is not a problem.

I've been looking the HP reverb, but I've seen reviews of various heat and wiring problems.

also looking for rift s, Pimax 5k.

What do you think?, sorry my English.

My pc spec:

Intel Core i7-8086K 4Gh

G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 2x16GB CL15

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC 11GB GDDR5X

Samsung SSD 970 EVO PCI-E NVMe M.2 500 GB

Corsair RM1000X 1000W 80 Plus Gold Modular

I have a new HP Reverb (I returned an original) - I can confirm that the new models are fixed. I've had no issues.

I would say based on my experience with Samsung and Rift S, as far as simulations go, HP Reverb offers the highest resolution headset you can get.

I would not buy a Rift S over a Reverb unless money is a big issue.

Pimax 5K+ does offer a really nice FOV.

Pimax (and Valve) if you don't have sensors can get upwards of nearly a $1000.

Pros/Cons

Reverb - 2160x2160 top resolution on the market, best clarity in DCS. Smaller FOV and smaller 'sweet spot'. $650 price. No sensors needed.

Rift S 2560×1440 80hz $399. Cheaper, but as you can tell lower resolution. No sensors needed

Pimax 5K+ 2560×1440 same resolution as Rift S, lower resolution. highest FOV. Bulky. $699 for unit alone. Base station + controllers (kit) is an additional $300. You can buy Vive base stations. Personally this is a major PITA that you have to separately acquire all this to get 6dof. (Valve Index is similar).

I used a few examples of visual clarity:

1. Reverb - can read all the screens on the Hornet without issue

2. Rift S - MFCD is not easy to read

3. Reverb - locked bandit 20nm in the lock box, dot is a dot.

4. Rift S - can't see the dot until much closer, dot is a 'blob'

5. Reverb - F-15C refueling.. Refuel lights are crisp, readable without zooming.

6. Rift S - F-15C refueling - Refuel lights are blurred, blobs, to really see you have to zoom in.

I can only assume Pimax5K is same since same resolution as Rift S.

Reverb cons is that directly center of lenses is really very clear, as you visually goto the edges of the lenses it loses that clarity. So for best view of ie. MFCD, you have to really look at it for best detail.

Hope this helps.

Rift S would make a good first VR kit, very easy to setup and get going with - hardly any muss or fuss and no faffing around with WMR or Steam VR settings. The Oculus software and firmware are well matured and quite good. Not as high a resolution as say the Reverb or even Index, but image quality is still pretty good and I get nice performance with some higher gfx settings.

If you enjoy the tinkering and working out ways to get the best out of what you have, then yeah the Reverb and Index both are nice kits. I upgraded from the original Rift CV1 to Rift S in May and am quite happy. Plus also I enjoy some Touch enabled games (which there are many) in addition to my flight sims.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just a quick correction to the horizontal resolution comparison between the Rift S and the Pimax 5K+. The Rift S is 2560 total between both eyes, so its actually 1280 X 1440 per eye. The Pimax 5K+ is 2560 X 1440 per eye. Its really difficult to keep up with that, since manufacturers often tend to church up their horizontal resolution by combining the res of both displays.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Reverb and don't look back IMO. You have a 1 year warranty if you get a bum unit.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Just a quick correction to the horizontal resolution comparison between the Rift S and the Pimax 5K+. The Rift S is 2560 total between both eyes, so its actually 1280 X 1440 per eye. The Pimax 5K+ is 2560 X 1440 per eye. Its really difficult to keep up with that, since manufacturers often tend to church up their horizontal resolution by combining the res of both displays.

good catch, hard to keep up.

Here is a good summary:

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/28/vr-hmd-specs-compare-2/

I have the rift s and like it a lot. Tried with the original rift and it was unusable. I didn't really know about the reverb till I read about it here, and it is interesting. Well I knew about the first one but didn't know there was a good newer model on the market. To be honest the smaller sweet spot and fov thing does worry me about it.

Personally I like VR for VR as well not just sims, and if I understand right the Reverb has shit windows VR controllers as its only option, so I likely still would have gone with the rift it in the end.

I just got a set of prescription lenses from a place in Germany called VR optician and I really recommend them if you have glasses. It's a bit more crisp and more comfortable and the annoyance of glasses getting hooked on the sides, fogged up, dirty etc is nice to be free of.

I have the rift s and like it a lot. Tried with the original rift and it was unusable. I didn't really know about the reverb till I read about it here, and it is interesting. Well I knew about the first one but didn't know there was a good newer model on the market. To be honest the smaller sweet spot and fov thing does worry me about it.

Personally I like VR for VR as well not just sims, and if I understand right the Reverb has shit windows VR controllers as its only option, so I likely still would have gone with the rift it in the end.

I just got a set of prescription lenses from a place in Germany called VR optician and I really recommend them if you have glasses. It's a bit more crisp and more comfortable and the annoyance of glasses getting hooked on the sides, fogged up, dirty etc is nice to be free of.

The FOV is about like a rift. And the main reason people complain about the sweet spot is because the center clarity is amazing, where it starts to get bad its still a world better than a rift CV1.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The FOV is about like a rift. And the main reason people complain about the sweet spot is because the center clarity is amazing, where it starts to get bad its still a world better than a rift CV1.

When you say the outside is not as good, does that mean if you say looked to the corner of your eye to look at an instrument while focused on the hud, you would notice a blurrier image? Or do you mean you just really have to take a lot of care to get the IPD and positioning of the headset just right?

When you say the outside is not as good, does that mean if you say looked to the corner of your eye to look at an instrument while focused on the hud, you would notice a blurrier image? Or do you mean you just really have to take a lot of care to get the IPD and positioning of the headset just right?
In my case it is the former, it gets blurrier. Personally I don't find that an issue in action, only when checking its existence. Others may vary.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

The former. Basically if you are staring at your hud, its perfect, glance down and right at an mfd its a bit off. Again, its not a major issue unless you are looking for it, because after a few days of using it you will just instinctively move your head anyway. And I'd say its only really bad at the outer 5% of the view. This is something all the other headsets also have, but its much harder to notice because they are more blurry to begin with IMO. My rift-cv1 had the same issue.

For me at least IPD/eybox is pretty easy to get into, you do have to do some initial fitting/wiggling but its pretty quick and easy.