IFF on the Hornet

nicktune1219

Bind TDC Depress. Turn on IFF -> Lock target -> Hit Depress

You mean SCS Depress.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I know that IFF has changed somewhat recently for the hornet. It is no longer a square or a diamond. But I'm not able to find anything on how to use any IFF at all. No videos, nothing in the manual. So how do you guys "interrogate" planes without checking the map or your RWR?

IFF interrogation first requires that you have your IFF transponder on. That's done through the UFC. After that, there are several ways.

1. With LTWS enabled, just placing the TDC over a radar contact (making it TUC - Target Under Cursor) for a second or so will automatically run an IFF check on it.

2. You can always manually command an IFF check with SCS Depress, when your TDC is over a contact or when you have said contact locked in STT or as the L&S target.

3. You can also run an IFF check from the SA page, by placing the TDC over a contact and pressing SCS Depress.

An IFF check from your plane alone is not enough to declare a contact as hostile (Red diamond HAFU, diamond on the HUD). The contact needs to be declared hostile from at least two sources, to be classified as hostile (at least with the currently implemented ROE matrix).

If you have friendly assets (donors) on Link-16, such as an AWACS or Friendly Fighters (F/F), if at least one donor has declared the contact as hostile and you run an IFF check on it and it comes back negative, it can be classified as hostile.

If you are alone, the second verification needs to also come from you, in the form of NCTR (Non Cooperative Target Recognition). This is a function of your radar, where it's able to scan the turbine blades of the target in STT mode and through their pattern, determine the type of aircraft (referencing an internal database). Due to the very high resolution required, this is only possible at ranges of around 20nm or below and of course, the engine blades need to be at least partially visible to your radar. That last part practically means that you need to lock the target in a +- 30 degree aspect from the front or the back (as in, if you lock it and your radar sees its side, it won't be able to look at the turbine blades). This is also the reason why aircraft designed with stealth in mind try to minimize the visibility of their intakes.

Edited by Harker
Removed unclear/possibly incorrect info

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

IFF interrogation first requires that you have your IFF transponder on. That's done through the UFC. After that, there are several ways.

1. With LTWS enabled, just placing the TDC over a radar contact (making it TUC - Target Under Cursor) for a second or so will automatically run an IFF check on it.

2. Locking a contact up in STT mode (including locking it with the ACM modes) or making it L&S will normally automatically run an IFF check on it, although it doesn't happen every time, which brings us to 3.

I think you are mixing up IFF and NCTR - in the cases 1) and 2) at least. In the current implementation it's necessary to press SCS for run an IFF interrogation on the current L&S

I think you are mixing up IFF and NCTR - in the cases 1) and 2) at least. In the current implementation it's necessary to press SCS for run an IFF interrogation on the current L&S

I'm not mixing it up. Placing a contact under the TDC for a second will automatically run an IFF check on it, with LTWS enabled. Wags also says so in the relevant video. You can test it in a long range scenario with donors, where NCTR is not possible. Place an AWACS, a hostile 80nm from you and just hover the TDC over the HAFU, without SCS Depress. It'll go from Unknown to Hostile.

The second point is indeed unclear, because it might just be a byproduct of simply having the TDC over a contact for a second or so in order to command an STT. It's true that if STT is achieved through AACQ, this doesn't occur and you need to depress the SCS. But I think that it's supposed to run an IFF check in STT as well anyway. AACQ is very much WIP at the moment. So it could be either one. In ACM, it's also inconsistent. So I'll edit the post and remove the point, indeed, it's more confusing than helpful. I might have spoken too quickly.

-

in any cases, if we compare the IFF system in the hornet with the IFF in the F15 or the mirage, clearly the hornet is in disadvantage. Maybe it is time to update the systems on other modules?

Yeah, every other aircraft right now has "magic" IFF. Or at least you can think of it as a different ROE matrix. The Mirage is kinda OK. The Hornet IRL can also run IFF over all contacts in the radar scope and perform auto-IFF, AFAIK. I think it'll come with the TWS.

-