TF Challenger Final Mission, Help Needed

Exile 6-1

Gang,

The final Task Force Challenger mission is kicking my butt. I can't seem to get it right. When I arrive at WP3 there is a ton of work to do, SAMs, AAA and 4 -29s. I'm ladened with bombs and not very nimble.

I get the best results by flying towards my ground targets at about 500 kphs, 100 ft altitude with my radar on silent. I make sure the SEAD strikes arrive before I do. About 9 miles out I order my wingman to attack ground targets, 8 miles out I turn my radar back on and do a steep climb (they are going to see me anyway no reason to be quite now). This gives me enough time to line up the Hinds and Hangers. I complete my bomb run, switch to AA mode and try to kill the Migs. The bomb run takes less then 20 seconds and I dump a ton of DDS. I dont think the air defenses have time to get a good shot at me.

Typically I can hit 2-3 ground targets, Wingman can't hit enough to complete the mission. I drop all 4 bombs on the one run so I am more nimble for the MiGs. My mission objectives are the ground targets not the Fulcrums so I think the bomb run is my priority, if i get enough hits we can run home. However as I climb the Migs are right in front of me about 10 miles out. I'd love to engage them, but I have those heavy bombs slowing me down.

The 4 Migs end up killing me almost every time.

Flying in high just gets me killed by SAMs, I can't get the MiGs to leave the target area.

What should I be doing?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The only strategy that has worked for me so far is running in low all the way, doing a pop-up at the last minute to drop just above the frag height, then a hard turn to the south and run like hell. Let the BARCAP and fleet deal with the MiGs chasing you.

If you try to engage the MiGs before the drop you're outnumbered and have a massive maneuverability and speed disadvantage, if you try to engage them after the drop you're still outnumbered and starting at a massive positional disadvantage. Since defeating them isn't part of the mission, it's best to just not tangle with them.