GPS map-what to do with it.

CBStu

Over the last several months I have figured out TACAN and ADF. But it seems these are both very old tech. And they take me right to the field but don't seem to have any provision for taking me to a point say 5-10 miles out to start an approach. So I thought I'd look into using the moving map to help get from one airfield to another. I haven't figured out any way to make it useful. In real life I suppose it would be handy but in DCS I can use the F10 map a lot easier. Chuck's manual kind of mentions the moving map in passing but says most nav is done w/ TACAN. In another sim flying a 737 I am used to ATC directions to a point where I intercept the ILS beam. Do you have any sources for tutorials that would help me in DCS or is this just the way it is?

Over the last several months I have figured out TACAN and ADF. But it seems these are both very old tech. And they take me right to the field but don't seem to have any provision for taking me to a point say 5-10 miles out to start an approach. So I thought I'd look into using the moving map to help get from one airfield to another. I haven't figured out any way to make it useful. In real life I suppose it would be handy but in DCS I can use the F10 map a lot easier. Chuck's manual kind of mentions the moving map in passing but says most nav is done w/ TACAN. In another sim flying a 737 I am used to ATC directions to a point where I intercept the ILS beam. Do you have any sources for tutorials that would help me in DCS or is this just the way it is?

TACAN has provision for lining you up for an approach. They are the published approach charts.

In the absence of a published chart you can create your own. For a TACAN station located on the field you just need to know the radial that most closely aligns to the desired runway, intercept that radial at the desired distance from the field and fly it inbound.

A TACAN located off field requires slightly more work but essentially the same.

Some examples at the link below

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/tw5/ht28/assets/docs/university/student-instrument-approach-plates.pdf

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Tacan and adf are basically backup systems.

These should not be used as primary navigation methods in a aircraft like the fa18c hornet. Use ins and/ or GPS( ins drift errors are corrected by GPS anyways) as you main navigation via hsi and sa page, where you can easily use moving map to also get a visual grasp of where you are.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

. In real life I suppose it would be handy but in DCS I can use the F10 map a lot easier.

That is the problem. You are using a DCS own "cheat" (sorry, "assistance") that is built-in, so that you can see your own position all the time in interactive map just by pressing one button. And pressing other button you will get instant marker to your position (if you don't see your own aircraft etc on the map) so you don't even need to read the map, look the terrain and then make your own position markings on it.

All that is just causing you not to really learn and start living with the technology limits and their features.

So sure, in real life you would be pulling out a map, trying to find the landmarks that you can find on the map, and then even draw and plan your new route over there.

That is why the route planning was so important before take-off so you have all the times, speeds, headings, altitudes etc marked for each waypoint, all the routes with the times, important landmarks etc for navigation.

And when it was a night or low visibility, you were in totally under mercy of your notes and your avionics numeral values. No help of the map other than give you a general idea that where you were and where you are heading.

And try to give a close air support for troops when you can't even see the terrain? That is why a digital map is so highly valuable that you know where you are and what you really are doing.

A individual soldier on the ground can give you a map coordinates. They can find their general location or at least should be able to give you their general location. And as pilot, you should be able as well by just looking a map, know where you are and where the troops are on the ground. No GPS coordinates, no lasers, nothing else than radio and someone telling you the location of the enemy from specific landmark.

And landing is easy compared to that as you anyways have all those radio beacons and even ATC to guide you in.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I liked Tacan in the Caucuses and used it along w/ the course set to the runway heading to get lined up. Unfortunately the PG map mostly has just adf #s. And they usually are not in the list of facts you get in F10 when you click on the airport. You have to zoom way in and and look around the map to find a tiny icon and a number. I always get to where I am going but it just seems pretty crude.

The only occasion i consider the F10 map being legit is as a replacement for a reasonable papermap out of which you can get your coordinates for flight planning. This means, usually you tell the aircraft the waypoints by inserting a cartridge containing presaved waypoints or you enter them yourself and obtain the lat long data from a map like from the F10 map since you directly spawn in your seat and not in the briefing room. Long story short: tacan/adf is not your primary nav system like others have already said but the ins(/gps) and everything else than taking coordinates from F10 map is considered not being realistic

set the desired runway heading, use tacan to head to the target airfield, at ten miles turn 90 degrees to the airfield direction and maintain the tacan needle at your 90 degrees and whatever distance your now at from the airfield, it will be like 8 miles or something, as the course needle moves turn onto the course, boom you'll be somewhere like 6 miles out on the runway heading using tacan only.

Yesterday I did a couple of flights using lat/lon numbers that I programmed in as way points before I took off. It will take more flights before I get competent at doing the # entering. I had to swap back and forth between the cockpit and Chuck's instructions. So that is helpful other than one is still flying directly to the airport rather than to an outer marker point. I spent some more time looking at the moving map. I don't think that is going to do anything for me. I am running 1920x1080 resolution and the map is not real good. Also, no matter what I do to the aircraft's display settings, the labels on the screen for the buttons are mostly not readable. I am using TrackIR and positioning my self to see the screen over the stick isn't comfortable at all. It would also be impossible in RL w/ shoulder straps. I will try turning off the stick next.