Valve Index: 5 minutes, something is wrong!

pchRage

Hi all,

After using my trusty Odyssey for the last year+ I decided to upgrade.

Got an O+, returned next day (uncomfortable).

Got a Rift S, returned next week (too far outside IPD range).

Just got the Index today (beautiful kit!).

Setup was easy, updated the software/firmware on controllers/headset.

Updated to latest StreamVR Beta

Tried out 120hz mode.

Adjusted Index IPD and FOV settings to what was comfortable in the "VR House".

Kept DCS PD at 1.0, and SteamVR at 170% (same as my Odyssey settings).

Felt a bit off on the DCS menu screen. Went to F18 Free Flight.

Immediately apparent issues. Super blurry, to the point I had to close one eye to be able to bring up flight menu to exit to desktop.

I then went to 90hz and ran it again.

Same immediate distortion issues.

Then I went to StearmVR and set scaling from 170% to 100%.

Tried DCS again.. same issue.

I tried flying a bit, and what it really feels like is the LEFT and RIGHT eye screens are not parallel.. light one rendering the picture slightly HIGHER than the other.

So its not FOV, not IPD, but something like one eye rendering is maybe 6pixels higher than the other.

Anyone seen / reported / fixed this???

thanks!!!

still no go.

i even moved every setting to low to boost max fps.... its unrelated.

the 2 screen are just flat out not aligned in DCS

i even deleted the saved-games fxo and metashader folders (plus terrain folders) when we used to use that VR mod... still same result.

I don’t have any issues with my index. Sounds like you got a bad one. I’d contact steam support. Have you tried any other games? Do you have any issues in steamvr home?

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

You may have gotten a bad one as said. Go to SteamVR/Settings/Devices and there is an option to reset after bad firmware upgrade. Try that first. You may have to get SteamVR Beta to have that option though. It could be just a bad flash.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Whenever I fire up DCS it starts with an adjustment screen to solve this issue. I just X out of it because my HMD doesn't have the issue. Can't remember if its just for the Odyssey+ or WMR in general. You might want to ask Wags if you can enable the adjustment screen for your HMD.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Thick8 I would see that same screen with my Odysssey, but now that I think of it, it does NOT show for the Index. Maybe its a WMR-only thing.

I downloaded a few different free steam vr apps (google earth, msi shootem-something-or-other). For those, i see no issues, same with the "Window house".

It only seems to be DCS...

Edit: I also did a dcs repair/cleaned meta folders, no effect

Edited by pchRage

downloaded a few more free VR games and tested.. they are fine. sweet spot where expected, no double vision, etc.

I've further uninstalled WMR, steamvr, cleared windows Environmental Data, deleted all SteamVR left over folder settings, and then reinstalled SteamVR.

Tried with primary and beta version of steam vr...no diff.

Its definitely something specific to DCS.

Only next option I can think of is to delete DCS entirely and then reinstall and try.

Other than the main program install location, and the saved games area.. are there any other areas to scrub (registry, appdata, etc)??

thanks!

@pchRage - before you fully reinstall, rename your saved games\dcs openbeta folder to .old and restart DCS. Most of the settings are saved there. You may have a corrupted file. If you rename it, DCS will create a new one. Then you can selectively move over what you want to reuse...

I moved over my controls folder, mission folder, and a few of the mods I have when I had frame issues. Something got corrupted and caused me massive stutters until I recreated the saved games folder. I now keep a fresh copy on hand just in case, and manually sync the pertinent folders for what I create.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Well I tried that out... I don't think it affected it.

I've even tried 80hz vs 90 vs 120 vs 144... i think its just those canted-lens + sweet spot are not behaving well with DCS.

Such a bummer, everything else about this Index is amazing, but I cannot handle the double vision.

I figure I have a week to solve it, else back it goes :-(

I've even tried 80hz vs 90 vs 120 vs 144... i think its just those canted-lens + sweet spot are not behaving well with DCS.
Just a thought on those canted lenses, you can turn parallel projection off in SteamVR if you edit the Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings file. Might be worth a try?

"steamvr" : { "renderCameraMode" : "raw" }`

the default if you have nothing set is equivalent to:

"steamvr" : { "renderCameraMode" : "parallel" }

Just add the line in to the "steamvr" group so it looks a bit like this:

"steamvr" : {

"allowAsyncReprojection" : false,

"allowInterleavedReprojection" : false,

"doNotFadeToGrid" : true,

"enableHomeApp" : false,

"haveStartedTutorialForNativeChaperoneDriver" : true,

"installID" : "6895531368893868255",

"lastVersionNotice" : "1.7.11",

"lastVersionNoticeDate" : "1567041293",

"mirrorViewGeometry" : "0 0 1024 600",

"renderCameraMode" : "raw",

"supersampleManualOverride" : true,

"supersampleScale" : 0.99999994039535522

}

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Baldrick33 you are a genius!

I found that file: \Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings

It did not have that renderCameraMode line at all.

I put in the "raw" value, and spun up DCS.

Immediately on the main menu I could tell it was better.

Spent a few minutes on the ready ramp re-dialing IPD, Lens distance, and positioning HMD and I can see!!!

Switched back to 90hz mode and lowered the scaling to keep 45fps and did a free flight.

After that I dialed in a simple AA mission where an F14 hurtles Phoenixes at me.

I CAN SEE..them slam into my plane! :-)

Thank you and everyone else with your suggestions! Much appreciated!

Now I can spend some time attempting to dial in the best fps/res options!!!

• 3 months later...

Question, I set my index up per standard instructions. Is it really beneficial to make this change? Does the default setup result in parallel instead of raw?

Can you maybe explain a bit as to why this change might help.

Finally, does this just come up as a natural branch of the file or does it require an editor of some sort to affect a change?

My index looking ok but can always use a bump in performance and clarity. Currently at 60hz. 40fpm In pretty decent system.

Thanks

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Question, I set my index up per standard instructions. Is it really beneficial to make this change? Does the default setup result in parallel instead of raw?

Can you maybe explain a bit as to why this change might help.

Finally, does this just come up as a natural branch of the file or does it require an editor of some sort to affect a change?

My index looking ok but can always use a bump in performance and clarity. Currently at 60hz. 40fpm In pretty decent system.

Thanks

I tried this tonight. First I had to manually put in the line “render camera mode raw”. Once done I didn’t notice any improvement but it did make my spyglass zoom cross eyed. So unless your index is cross eyed, adding this line doesn’t have any other benefit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Thanks, funny how such similar equipment reacts so differently! How the hell did we ever make it to the moon? “Houston, the eagle has landed”. “Negative eagle, I show you at 5000ft, switch to manual” “Tried that Houston and I crash to desktop”. “Fido here, when we switch to manual in the simulator it dumps our urine...”.

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.