Minor updates

Richard Dastardly

* Tree/tree shading improvements - currently certain sorts of light will make trees glow in entirely the wrong directions for the light, which I've seen in other engines using planar trees ( and has been fixed by adjusting shaders ). I seem to remember some render updates coming anyway? but trees & other vegetation do need work I think to bring them up to modern standards. Quite a few of us spend most of our time dodging trees rather than dodging clouds.

* Update some of the older AI models; they don't have to be the fidelity of a 2019 module model, but picking a random example, the Tu-142 for instance definitely looks like something out of a couple of decades ago or modelled in an hour in Sketchup. Perhaps this could be partly a community effort? A lot of structures look equally like something from the 90s.

* Oft-wished broader selection of ground units - but I also understand how that is an issue with CA. Perhaps just a bunch of outer models you can't enter in CA first & then add the interactivity later? either way just something to flesh the ground out.

The vegetation issue is mostly something for the gfx engine team ( vegetation is a lot more than just modelling a tree ) but I did try and look for other things that the modellers might want to work on as a quickish break from high detail work.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

* Update some of the older AI models; they don't have to be the fidelity of a 2019 module model, but picking a random example, the Tu-142 for instance definitely looks like something out of a couple of decades ago or modelled in an hour in Sketchup. Perhaps this could be partly a community effort? A lot of structures look equally like something from the 90s.

Updates on older and add new AI models has on continious updates by ED, has models coming from LOMAC / FC with require rework, others on plans, rework and release but that take time to build / rebuild them.

If you like see the "progress" about in progress and releale 3D models, check my signature on the "unofficial" Roadmap and the list of vacant models.

Updates on older and add new AI models has on continious updates by ED, has models coming from LOMAC / FC with require rework, others on plans, rework and release but that take time to build / rebuild them.

If you like see the "progress" about in progress and releale 3D models, check my signature on the "unofficial" Roadmap and the list of vacant models.

Nice, thanks - it is the sort of thing you'd do as a break as a modeller ( perhaps ) so expected, but I wanted to show at least one person thought it was important :)

As a last one:

* People for years have wanted to rearm aircraft at FARPs/on roads - rather than adding any complexity to FARPs can we somehow detach the dependency of warehouses from bases and just have rearming/fuelling/repair based on proximity to the structure/vehicle? that'd mean you could just rearm by arriving next to a suitable ammo truck without any other complication.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

Nice, thanks - it is the sort of thing you'd do as a break as a modeller ( perhaps ) so expected, but I wanted to show at least one person thought it was important :)

As a last one:

* People for years have wanted to rearm aircraft at FARPs/on roads - rather than adding any complexity to FARPs can we somehow detach the dependency of warehouses from bases and just have rearming/fuelling/repair based on proximity to the structure/vehicle? that'd mean you could just rearm by arriving next to a suitable ammo truck without any other complication.

I'm pretty sure this is already implemented AFAIK, you need a set group of vehicles to do the job, however I'm not sure if it only works for FARPs only though.

What would be better is if the vehicles themselves could act as a warehouse, maybe with an option to limit quantities based on what the vehicle can actually carry so that you don't get a whole fuel depot's worth in one truck, just a thought.

It would work very nicely with things like SAM reloading vehicles.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

What would be better is if the vehicles themselves could act as a warehouse, maybe with an option to limit quantities based on what the vehicle can actually carry so that you don't get a whole fuel depot's worth in one truck, just a thought.

Yes, I agree.

I've suggested a few times over the years that they make the vehicles capable of their FARP/airfield actions independent, and make the mobile ATC vehicle an actual mobile ATC - even if it only gives range and bearing to a user defined approach point, range and bearing to vehicle and a cleared for visual when within some range. (though if you defined a touchdown point, and an approach vector, the ATC could calculate an inbound point for both players and AI...)

Then you could set up FOBs for both fixed and rotary wings on roads, and/or grass fields etc

Cheers.

Yes, I agree.

I've suggested a few times over the years that they make the vehicles capable of their FARP/airfield actions independent, and make the mobile ATC vehicle an actual mobile ATC - even if it only gives range and bearing to a user defined approach point, range and bearing to vehicle and a cleared for visual when within some range. (though if you defined a touchdown point, and an approach vector, the ATC could calculate an inbound point for both players and AI...)

Then you could set up FOBs for both fixed and rotary wings on roads, and/or grass fields etc

:thumbup: 100% agree

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I'm pretty sure this is already implemented AFAIK, you need a set group of vehicles to do the job, however I'm not sure if it only works for FARPs only though.

You would work very nicely with things like SAM reloading vehicles.

Yes, you've said rather more clearly what I was trying to say :) I just want to rock up in vicinity of a particular vehicle / temporary structure /whatever and be able to rearm/refuel, no matter where it is. You can't do anything at all to aircraft off an airbase currently even at a FARP, and having to set FARPs down to work on helicopters seems an unnecessary complication.

Legacy issues might make decoupling "warehouses" from bases a bigger job than we think, but it would make life simple for us ( and *possibly* streamline code... after all this time it's quite possible it'd add complications! ).

Edited by Richard Dastardly

Legacy issues might make decoupling "warehouses" from bases a bigger job than we think, but it would make life simple for us ( and *possibly* streamline code... after all this time it's quite possible it'd add complications! ).

I guess so, AFAIK things with how it's coded (when it comes to coding I probably have only the most basic principles down, so absolutely correct me if I'm wrong) are preventing another ease of use option - editing coalitions and the countries comprising them during the mission editing process.

But back to the vehicles and FARPs, I found an old post for which specific vehicles you need to place in specific units (either as a group or individually) to get ground services (including lighting) at FARPs. I'll quickly test this in the current stable branch and get back to you. Again it would be better if we had more dedicated BLUFOR vehicles for this and if we could assign stores in applicable vehicles (fuel, ammunition, parts etc). The warehouse system at the moment is basically feature complete, not much else would make it perfect.

This list can be found on page 489-450 of the Ka-50 flight manual, located in your main DCS install folder -> Mods -> aircraft -> Ka-50 -> Doc

It seems to be slightly outdated and have incorrect information as some of the things don't work (for example it lists Ammo Depot

REDFOR:

• SKP-11 for ATC/Radio comms
  • Ural-375 (transport), FARP Ammo Storage, FARP Tent or FARP CP for rearming
  • ATZ-10, ATZ-60 (no longer present) or FARP Fuel Depot for refuelling
  • APA-50 (APA-5D in ME) or APA-80 for ground power
  • Ural-375 (transport), FARP Tent or FARP CP for repair
  • SKP-11 for FARP night lighting

BLUFOR:

• M1025 HMMWV for ATC/Radio comms
  • M818 or FARP Ammo Storage, FARP Tent or FARP CP for rearming
  • M978 HEMTT or FARP Fuel Depot for refuelling
  • M818 for ground power
  • M818, FARP Tent or FARP CP for repair
  • M1025 HMMWW for FARP night lighting

Note: units must be within 150m of the centre of the FARP for it to work.

I will test on the current stable build and amend the list.

Yes this works for both REDFOR and BLUFOR. You don't need duplicate units, a single one will perform all tasks assigned to it (e.g a single M818 will provide rearming, ground power and repair services) and you only need 1 unit present from the list (e.g for REDFOR ground power you don't need both the APA-5D and APA-80 either one will do it without the other present).

Edited by Northstar98

System:

You can only rearm helicopters at FARPs, you don't get the option to try if you land an aircraft there.

No, but then you can't operate fixed-wing aircraft at FARPs anyway, so far though it's the only way to get ground services outside of an airbase.

Like I said, you need to improve the base logistics of DCS to get this to work properly for things like road bases. Have the current warehouse like options for vehicles with validation checks (i.e a fuel truck isn't suitable for munition handling/reloading), maybe allow vehicles to restock other units.

Then for when you want to set-up remote fields such as FOBs and road bases have a group of vehicles/temporary structures for refuelling, rearming, repair etc with control handled by a command vehicle (such as the SKP-11) then all you need to do is be within a set range and you'll have those services available without needing to be tied to a FARP or whatever

System:

I think we're both forcefully agreeing at this point :) the distinction between helicopter & aircraft shouldn't need to be made, frankly, they're both just airframes ( and really it should be the same for CA tanks or any other vehicle ) - just have a vehicle check for a compatible resource storage / facility in range & let it reload/rearm/repair. Realistically many aircraft have been prepared for operations from FARPs, not just the obvious Harriers but far more conventional aircraft have operated from improvised runways.

Not knowing the depths of how DCS goes about things I don't know what precisely the role of an airbase ( field or FARP ) is, it might be simple to decouple or require massive surgery...

Anyway that's enough of that.