F117 precision strike how to (Im pulling my hair out)

PSYKOnz

Hi there

I'm trying to get the f117 to do a precision strike but for the life of me I can't get it to work

here's the mission plan

F117 waiting in parking, trigger makes it take off, fly through a few waypoints then attacks a tv tower thats next to an airbase

as it stands the F117 takes off, flies the waypoints but waves off and RTBs instead of hitting the IP and going in to bomb the tower

how the heck do I get it to work?

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

I think what's happening in your scenario is the F-117 is detecting a threat and aborting instead of completing the mission.

Perhaps try this:

Click on your flight in the Mission editor.

Under advance waypoint actions click "add".

Under "Type" select "set option" and select Action>"Reaction to Threat".

Select under "Reaction to Threat" no reaction or passive only.

This may work out for you.

same distance id gives any bomber, is there a minimum?

EDIT:

I've moved the IP way back, now it hits it but immediately turns for home rather than flying the attack approach

in the IP waypoint (waypoint 2) I have:

Perform task

Bombing

Weapon - Guided Bombs

REL QTY - All

ATTACK QTY - 1

Group attack - no

Direction - N/A

Altitude - N/A

Divebomb - no

the little triangle is on the comms tower I want to go boom

I also have

ROE = Weapons Free

REACTION TO THREAT = NO REACTION

RTB ON BINGO = Off

its carrying 2x GBU27

8466ib of plane juice

the Route length is: 191 nm or 21 minutes

the target is the structure Comms tower M and is Russian

I'm so confused here

do I need to make a trigger or something that makes it "attack group" or something?

Edited by PSYKOnz

Weird...

I'm playing with an F-117 in the NTTR and with a "BOMBING" waypoint to target distance of 10nm (20,000' @ 350kts) it's putting both bombs on the hangar I have targeted at Groom Lake every time.

I even added an SA-11 at the Farms up at Rachel and the F-117 carried out a successful attack.

Do you have it set for "Pinpoint Strike" as its base directive?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

If it is a basic mission with not a lot going on and the F-117 fails to attack, please post it. I've seen the behavior before in trying to debug a friends mission. It was some weird combination of F-117 + LGBs where the AI would generally not go through with an attack and I couldn't figure out why. Ultimately my solution was to modify the payloads by giving it JDAMs and it was able to attack without issue. Probably need to revisit the behavior.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

now balled

OK, so I have some progress and also not...

so in the interest of a clean slate I deleted the f117 and re did it all to make sure I stuck it down with a flying start and set up the waypoints as before, everything went well, I was able to get it to attack the target, it was quite satisfying to see it finally drop and blow the tower up

I ran it through 5 times every time it worked

so feeling pretty chuffed I went and set the f117 to start uncontrolled on the ramp,

set everything back up all the triggers and the like

got in the game, fired the trigger via the radio command and sat back to watch what I thought was a victory lap.

however, it wasn't, I'm right back where I started.

it seems that the issue lies somewhere in the uncontrolled start and or the trigger

here is the mission.

please bear in mind that this is a training mission, there is a lot going on, it is designed for me and my mates to be able to train on the fly and change things up where ever

everything is at Kutaisi, the f117 (labelled b-117) is set up exactly how it needs to be for the mission

the patriot sites are just there to deal with the intercepters, they will go away once this works

again the only thing I changed between it working and it not working is it being started via a radio trigger rather than starting in the air near waypoint 1

I'm at my wit's end. not sure why when it's started like that that there is an issue but there is. who knows. I really hope you are able to help me

EDIT:

The other thing i did was to start in an aircraft as well, during the first tests that worked I ran it is a spectator

NZArmA TRANING.miz

Edited by PSYKOnz

any progress?

everything else works fine except for this bit hahaha

here's a quick video of what happens, as you can see it carries on toward waypoint 1 and as soon as it hits waypoint 2 (the IP) it just turns around and buggers off home, completely ignores waypoint 3 altogether and doesn't even open its doors.

here is proof that it was working, again, the only difference is that in this one it starts in the air about 1 or 2 minutes away from waypoint 1 whereas in the one that doesn't work it is taking off from Kutaisi after a radio start command. it's the same aircraft. just different start

Edited by PSYKOnz

Hi,

I’ve tried your mission. It looks like a bug with the F-117. If you change the plane for another aircraft the bomb is released normally.

My advice for you is to try another bomber until they fix it. I’m sorry!

Edited by Bruce_D

yup, here it is, confirmed...

swapped the F-117 to the F-4 and just like that everything works!

just a few more things to tidy up then ill post it up in the user files

Edited by PSYKOnz

Didn't get a chance to test it properly until now. Its not a bug, its the fuel. Why does it work if spawned closer or with different AI types? Its because the AI is deciding to abort the attack due to low fuel state.

I modified the mission, deleted most things other than the F-117, if anything so I can advance time without bogging down. I did add another F117 flight and a script that runs telling me what the fuel state of each aircraft is. In the screenshot the right aircraft is yours, the left one is mine. The main difference between the two is that I set mine to go slower and gave it a higher altitude to fly at. At that point, while there is almost 40km distance between the two, the rear aircraft has nearly 25% more fuel and more critically is well above 50% fuel usage when it gets assigned the target. In the end the original aircraft lands with 10% fuel remaining while the alternative lands with a little over 34% fuel, approx 10 minutes later, and has bombed the target while flying a bit further overall.

Bear in mind that the 50% fuel usage isn't a hard number. I changed your F-117 to an F-15E and gave it approx the same fuel weight that the F-117 carries and it just kept on attacking. Had to keep lowering its fuel to get it to exhibit the same behavior as the F-117, which occurred around 30% internal fuel with no bags. So the F-15E could have about 1322 fewer lbs of fuel and still engage. Granted it also shows a big difference as far as internal fuel goes where teh F-15E has about 2.5x the internal fuel of an F-117. At any rate there is likely an engine thrust, burn rate, and distance to RTB calculation going on to make the decision to RTB.

NZArmA TRANING_edit.miz

Screen_190909_000700.thumb.jpg.2ae92ae7086a5d75dd1463707637cef8.jpg

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Interesting! In the version I did of this before I deleted the f117 and re did the whole thing I told it not to rtb on bingo and a few others and it still didn’t drop the bomb. Come to think of it that was the version that made it to waypoint 3! But it still didn’t drop the bomb on the target

That being said it makes complete sense, thank you so much for running such a throughout test for me mate! I really appreciate it.