Folding wings on F18 after carrier landing

TheTrooper

Hi. I wonder if anyone has any ideas. After landing on a carrier F-18 pilots fold the wings of the jet pretty quickly and get out of the way.

I seem to attempt to try fold the wings a few times before they actually do so. Is there something I'm missing? I end up having to get off the runway on the carrier, sit around and piss around with the leaver for a bit until they start to fold up.

Edited by TheTrooper

-----------------------------------------------

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache | 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz | MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G |SSD 1TB 970 EVO Plus M.2

Are you pulling first (mouse wheel down) and then twisting? Is the level moving or not turning at all? Are you setting the flaps back to AUTO (shouldn't matter, but whatever)? I don't have any issues on my end.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Flaps need to be up.

Yeah, I think so too. Even though I didn‘t find a clear reference on that in the NATOPS, I think the flaps need to be up (i.e. AUTO) before the wings will fold. At least that appears to be how ED implemented it.

You actually can move the wing fold lever to the FOLD position with the flaps still extended. The wings will then fold as soon as you move the flaps lever to AUTO.

Flaps need to be up.

Ah that makes sense. I will give it a go and see what happens.

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache | 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz | MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G |SSD 1TB 970 EVO Plus M.2

Yeah, I think so too. Even though I didn‘t find a clear reference on that in the NATOPS, I think the flaps need to be up (i.e. AUTO) before the wings will fold. At least that appears to be how ED implemented it.

You actually can move the wing fold lever to the FOLD position with the flaps still extended. The wings will then fold as soon as you move the flaps lever to AUTO.

Nah, I did a lot of carrier landing, but I never bothered to retract the flaps. I just fold the wings, then the ailerons will be up automatically. It happens pretty quick. Wings started to fold up even before I cleared the landing zone...

My procedures after a successful trap:

1. throttle back to idle

2. wing folding lever: pull and rotate up (mouse wheel afterward, followed with two mouse clicks -- right clicks IIRC)

3. hook lever up

4. NWS to high

5. throttle up a bit and get the hell out of the LZ <--- at about this time (or in about 1-2 seconds), the wings start to fold up

Edited by ravenzino

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

My preferred method for a quick wing fold is to flip the flaps up right after raising the tail hook, set the wings to fold, and put the flaps back to full as I taxi off the box.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I also put flaps to AUTO as soon as I land, but I don't think they explicitly need to be, they'll just raise themselves during the folding. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't remember for sure. I raise them every time, so it might be that I just haven't seen this recently.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I’ll have a go soon and put flaps up to see if that works. If not I’ll do a video and see what comes back from that.

The very first thing you should do when you trap is bring the flaps up sir, here is my trap sequence:

Trap,

Aircraft stops,

Select Flaps Up,

Aircraft rolls back under wire tension,

Aircraft stops,

Select Hook up,

Pop Wing Fold handle out of lock position but leave wings unfolded, <- :cheer3nc:

Select NWS High Engage,

Add a little power,

Move forward 1ft,

Turn right to clear the Landing Area,

Stop and fold wings once LA cleared.

I do all of this every time I trap, eventually with practice you can trap and clear the deck and have the wings folded all within less than 15 seconds.

Edited by [Maverick]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;4027715']The very first thing you should do when you trap is bring the flaps up sir, here is my trap sequence: ...

Thanks a lot for sharing your procedure .. I've enjoyed your YT tutorials a lot :)

Cheers.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi everyone. Raising flaps did it!

As soon as landed and plane is stationary I raised hook, "raised flaps". I put the wings to fold straight after raising the flaps and worked straight away. Thanks for you help all.

NWS should go to high gain with folded wing, automaticaly. and the speed of folding is the same with or without flap down, it's an electric motor. On the real a/c at lease,

Not sure if it is IRL, but NWS will not go to high automatically with folded wing in DCS... The rests are more or less aligned with my observation.

;4027715']The very first thing you should do when you trap is bring the flaps up sir, here is my trap sequence:

Trap,

Aircraft stops,

Select Flaps Up,

Aircraft rolls back under wire tension,

Aircraft stops,

Select Hook up,

Select NWS High Engage,

Add a little power,

Move forward 1ft,

Turn right to clear the Landing Area,

Stop and fold wings once LA cleared.

I do all of this every time I trap, eventually with practice you can trap and clear the deck and have the wings folded all within less than 15 seconds.

Because folding wings requires ailerons in up position, it makes sense that retracting flaps before wing folding might shorten the reaction time on the folding part, but eventually, the end-to-end time cost is the same (flaps up + wing folding vs wing folding straight away). On top of that, skipping the flaps and go straight for the wing folding is combining two actions into one, which itself might save you one second or two, or at least gives you one less thing to worry about...

Besides, if you keep wing folding as the last step of your procedure, you'll have to hold NWS button while you clear out of LA, unless you use a toggle switch to force NWS HI all the way, which might be less realistic... Either way, it doesn't feel optimized... not sure what the actual procedure is IRL though.

i9-9900K, G.Skill 3200 32GB RAM, AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi, Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512G + 860 Pro 1T, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder, Samsung O+

F/A-18C, F-16C, A-10C, UH-1, AV-8B, F-14, JF-17, FC3, SA342 Gazelle, L-39, KA-50, CEII, Supercarrier Preordered. (Almost abandoned: CA - VR support please?)

PG, NTTR

Besides, if you keep wing folding as the last step of your procedure, you'll have to hold NWS button while you clear out of LA, unless you use a toggle switch to force NWS HI all the way, which might be less realistic... Either way, it doesn't feel optimized... not sure what the actual procedure is IRL though.

Sorry guys I missed a step in my procedure, after I retract the hook I 'pop' out the Wing Fold handle without actually folding the wings, this way you can engage NWS High without having to hold it with the wings still unfolded. (edited my post to correct)

IRL, they fold the wings in the LA if they have no live Aim9s on the wingtips, if they are carrying live Aim9s wings remain unfolded until the LA is cleared and the red shirts unarm the weapons on the wingtips, this is normally done behind CAT 2.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;4028007'] ...... after I retract the hook I 'pop' out the Wing Fold handle without actually folding the wings, this way you can engage NWS High without having to hold it with the wings still unfolded. (edited my post to correct)

IRL, they fold the wings in the LA if they have no live Aim9s on the wingtips, if they are carrying live Aim9s wings remain unfolded until the LA is cleared and the red shirts unarm the weapons on the wingtips, this is normally done behind CAT 2.

Didn't know popping out wing folding handle without folding up wings can still unlock NWS HI. That makes perfect sense! As well as why keep wings unfolded when carrying live AIM9s. Thanks Maverick!

Edited by ravenzino

PG, NTTR