Odyssey+ vs Rift S

automag928

Afternoon all! I figure its time to splurge on VR for DCS. Not looking for the BEST (read: expensive) set but I think I've narrowed it down to Rift S vs Odyssey+. The Rift S is currently $399, however O+ is $299... Can the VR experts here give me the pros/cons to each set? DCS / Flight Sims are probably going to be 75% usage, with other games being the other 25%. My HW shouldn't be an issue with either, currently running a i7-8700k at 4.7, a 1080Ti and 16gb of RAM. Again not looking to drop $500+, but dip my toes in the decent VR waters :)

Thanks!!

I had Rift CV1 and then O+. I can not speak about Rift S. Theoretically Samsung has a better resolution than Rift S, but people swear about the subpixels and image quality of Rift S, so I leave that aside. I can say that O+ has a good image quality, practically no visible SDE and so on. You can read the cockpit instruments without zoom (unlike Rift CV1). I now have HP Reverb, which has a better image, very much in cockpit and slightly better in recognizing the other aircraft and stuff in the air. At the time when O+ came out there were people who said that the image is not better than in Rift CV1 - I don't know what they smoked, for me it was a clear difference, but I think this is highly subjective issue.

What I understand, the Rift S should have a better inside out tracking with more cameras and the hand controllers are better and probably the coupling to the headset too. I have not used the O+ hand controllers almost at all but when I used them I had no problems. Also no problems with the tracking of O+ whatsoever, but I play only seated. If you do some strange Jedi stuff with saltos, maybe you reach a limit of tracking - I would reach a wall of my room.

Oculus has a large game library at least from the past (pure VR games, if that is your interest) - I think up to now Oculus is mostly supported directly by games (a standard if you like), you can also get those things running in O+ using revive. Otherwise, I like the SteamVR and the possibilities for tinkering the settings. I think the traditional games which support VR on top, as in opposite to pure VR games, both the SteamVR and Oculus support will be there.

O+ was for me very uncomfortable out of the box, but with VRCover foam pad and a self-made head-strap it got very comfortable (more so than my current Reverb). I could put it on like a hat, very quickly and easily.

Also the O+ had a better sound and better headphones than HP. Rift S has got more critic for its sound solution.

I was very happy with O+, I just happened to get a good offer for HP, which I could not refuse.

Edited by Jyge

I would go Rift S.

Great kit - very easy to set up - Oculus Software is fantastic.

One caveat - if you like good audio get a set of decent earbuds or headphones to use with it - it does have an audio jack.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I will tell you Reverb is the best buy option. Most performances per $ in combat flight and race sim usage. but in general, it is 600$

Rift-S is probably the best budget option even it is 100$ more than O+ but got a clearer picture. Compared with O+ Rift-S got full RGB LCD what means O+ got only 2/3 subpixels comparing to Rift-S. There is the secret of a more clear picture with Rift-S. So if you can't afford 600$ for Reverb go for Rift-S definitely. Everything else is too expensive for what they give

I would go visit an optician and ask them to measure your IPD, and make sure your eyes fit the Rift-s tolerance, if not (like me) O+ is the way to go at your price point

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone! Ended up getting the Rift S for $350, and got to try it out this morning...VR is absolutely ridiculous!! The immersion is incredible and even though I've flown IRL, I was getting motion sickness flying close to mach 1 through a valley in the hornet! I'm in love!

Thanks for the help everyone! Ended up getting the Rift S for $350, and got to try it out this morning...VR is absolutely ridiculous!! The immersion is incredible and even though I've flown IRL, I was getting motion sickness flying close to mach 1 through a valley in the hornet! I'm in love!

:thumbup:

Welcome to the club!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|