Unexploded AIM-54s

Flappie

Hi,

Two of my friends, both in the same aircraft, experienced a mysterious phenomenon yesterday on my server, using the lastest version (2.5.5.34864) : all of the four AIM-54s they fired that evening didn't explode as they reached their targets.

The first two missiles were guided using PD STT (same target).

The last two missiles were guided using TWS tracking (two different targets).

I know that "shit happens" sometimes, but this rather looked like witchcraft to us. During the same game session, aboard a different Tomcat, my pilot and I were successful at wiping a bandit with a Phoenix.

A/ Is it possible that my friends have messed with some Phoenix setting to the point that their proximity fuzes went inoperative? And if it's a yes, we'd like to know how!

B/ Could this be due to network packet losses?

C/ Or was it just really bad luck?

Here are the track file (but it's a 2 hour long session) and the TacView file : download

---

EDIT: QuiGon has already witnessed the same phenomenon here.

Edited by Flappie

A track or it didn't happen.

I've experienced this a couple of times and I've gathered some screenshots and TacView files over time (both, being the shooter and being the target) because I planned to make a thread about it. Now you beat me to it, so I will upload my screenshots here when I'm home later.

It's an issue that's really annoying me as I sometimes wonder why my Phoenix misses when it seemed like a hit and when I fire up TacView I then see that it actually was a hit, but the missile just went straight through?!

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's an issue that's really annoying me as I sometimes wonder why my Phoenix misses when it seemed like a hit and when I fire up TacView I then see that it actually was a hit, but the missile just went straight through?!

Feel free to post your own material into the present thread: I will add it in the OP.

Well this is a [DCS Bug] and there is nothing that HB can do about it so maybe in the general bugs forum. Not that it'd do much imo to change things.

Only Heatblur can determine if this particular phenomenon is a DCS bug or not. Please stop polluting the thread with assumptions.

Well this is a [DCS Bug] and there is nothing that HB can do about it so maybe in the general bugs forum. Not that it'd do much imo to change things.

Is it happening with other missiles too? I've only noticed it with the Phoenix.

Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Feel free to post your own material into the present thread: I will add it in the OP.

Done. All those Phoenixes went right through the target and continued flying. The TacView-File itself is too big unfortunately to upload it here.

DirectHit.thumb.png.fc1f6ed1c780474f74678a49e53d0150.png

DirectHit2.thumb.png.d5f881731bcffd2586b44fba549e5ead.png

DirectHit3.thumb.png.7361f2f91983246d09603979041c1c2f.png

Tornado3 small.jpg

I was led to believe that this behaviour is currently intentional… this is EDs workaround for when an F14 loses TWS lock on a target prior to the missile going Pitbull.

In real life I would assume the missile goes ballistic but for whatever reason in DCS they can't currently get it to behave that way. So rather than have people getting hit and killed by missiles that should not still be able to track them it turns the AIM-54 into an inert Phantom.

How true this explanation is... well...

Its a desync with the server.

Tacview is not realiable. The target or the missile didn't were in that locations. I've seen this plenty of times. Sometimes I see missiles hiting their target several meters away from each one.

Also there aren't proximity fuses in DCS precisely because of this problem.

I was led to believe that this behaviour is currently intentional… this is EDs workaround for when an F14 loses TWS lock on a target prior to the missile going Pitbull.

In real life I would assume the missile goes ballistic but for whatever reason in DCS they can't currently get it to behave that way. So rather than have people getting hit and killed by missiles that should not still be able to track them it turns the AIM-54 into an inert Phantom.

How true this explanation is... well...

I doubt that.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Its a desync with the server.

Tacview is not realiable. The target or the missile didn't were in that locations. I've seen this plenty of times. Sometimes I see missiles hiting their target several meters away from each one.

Also there aren't proximity fuses in DCS precisely because of this problem.

You are correct, it is desync. The client is seeing one thing, the shooter another.

You are incorrect about the fuzes. They are there and they work. However, missile flight and guidance, as well as some aircraft behavior and definitely desync prevent fuzes from being seen working often.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

another issue in DCS is that anything experienced on a client-hosted server can be very unreliable. it is much better to use the dedicated server software instead. If the host is also a client, things start to get glitchy. (we do not know why though.)

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

another issue in DCS is that anything experienced on a client-hosted server can be very unreliable. it is much better to use the dedicated server software instead. If the host is also a client, things start to get glitchy. (we do not know why though.)

In my case (see above) it happened on a dedicated server. At least I think Blue Flag is running on a dedicated server.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks for the tip, IronMike.

Yesterday I've hosted my first dedicated server and all went smooth. Nobody on the server was able to reproduce the thing I described in the OP. From now on, I'll keep using a dedicated server. Of course, if I ever see again 4 unexploded AIM-54 in a row, I'll get back here to talk about it. ;)

• 4 months later...

Same here, at least the 2nd missed one missed so close that afaik it should've exploded upon passing (PvP session)

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstruseRenownedDaikonNerfBlueBlaster

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, Stinger fix (broken since over 2 years), canopy 6DOF tracking-limit (deny head-through-canopy)

NOTAM (to DCS server-admins): Please adhere to the common sense gaming-industry administration-policy as most of the global gaming-industry does, after all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thank you.    -    That moment when companies don't want to mention important facts in their ToS... -.-   -    Dell Visor WMR, Ryzen 5 3600 (6C/12T), RX 580 8GB

basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a DCS pilot claims about another famous DCS pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence - that would only be bullheadedly

PvP: 125+ hours AV-8B VTOL, JF-17 AKG-A2A, royal dutch airforce F-16C, F-14 crew - PvP campaigns since 2013

Not really.

1. hard to judge the distance

2. you're in the notch from the fuze (depending on the fuze this may not matter)

3. you're in the clutter for the fuze, ie. harder to detect AND 'in the notch'*

* See #2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda