Peak rate of climb. Performance question.

Arink429

Hi.

What is the difference between climb speed schedule and peak rate of climb?

Other question: Is there any intermediate power settings for the climb? or it is performed at mil. or max. power only?

Thanks.

Antonio.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WiFi AC / i7-8700K@5.0 GHz / 2xM.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 1Tb / 4xCorsair 8Gb (32Gb) DDR4@3000 MHz / 2xGeforce GTX 1080 Ti + 1Geforce GTX 680 / SoundBlaster Fatal1ty / Windows 10 Home x64 / TM Warthog / TM TPR Pedals / Oculus Rift / Samsung UE32EH5000W

What is the difference between climb speed schedule and peak rate of climb?

AFAIK they are different ways of expressing the same thing.

With the speed schedule - you monitor your airspeed/altitude and adjust the aircraft's pitch to maintain the desired speed.

With the climb rate you monitor your VVI/altitude.

Other question: Is there any intermediate power settings for the climb?

Not AFAIK but you might climb at a speed determined by ATC, other air traffic or to give 'wiggle room' for your wingman, etc. to keep in formation.

or it is performed at mil. or max. power only?

The "F/A-18C Performance Charts" have Climb schedules for Mil. and Max. Thrust.

I'm not sure which schedule DCS's FPAS uses but I usually climb using Mil. Thrust @ 360 kts/M0.8 (assumes DI=100).

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

According to some squadrons' SOPs you usually climb at mil and 300 kt CAS until 10000. From them onwards shallow out a bit to accelerate to 350 and continue climbing at that indicated airspeed. If you're going to a high cruise altitude you'll want to transition to mach somewhere in the low 20s.

Source: a couple hornet drivers and the fighter pilot podcast